Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NIGHT GRANNY ??, No way, Pendles !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pochemuchka wrote:
it will happen. pendles will be an advocate to get the masses on board with the idea becoming reality. watch for ablett and co to support the concept.

maybe the government can move one of the public holidays to make a big weekend of it.

Yes I love the way the NFL makes the Superbowl such a massive event. There is a two week break from the AFC and NFC championship games, so the game gets plenty of free air. The city in which the Bowl is hosted has to bid for the rights, so you see really spectacular presentations. To be honest our grand final is nothing like it as an event.

Mind you with 18 teams in the AFL now the commission should bite the bullet and structure our competition around two conferences like the NFL. That would lead to a champion in each conference and then the right to play each other for the ultimate prize. We might even get a fairer fixture if this structure is employed. If the night grand final is the crowning piece of this re-structuring of the AFL then I say it is worth it.

Piesnchess says he worries about having to wait for the grand final all day until the evening. But what if he had to wait an extra week as well?! Laughing

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm

mattys123 wrote:
The best thing about keeping it during the day is if you make kids and families can both attend the game and go to the post match activities.

Imagine a grand final starting at 7.30, it wouldn't end till close to 10.30 and only adults would be able to celebrate if their club has won it.

^This more than anything. I remember watching the 1990 GF as a 6 year old and celebrating with my Dad afterwards. If the game started at 7.30 I would have been well and truly in bed by the end of the game, and that would have sucked. Hard.

Keep it to the daytime for the kids!
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:02 pm
Post subject: Re: What?Reply with quote

1061 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
He should stand down immediately! What the hell was he thinking with this stunt? If I was President, he would summons him to the Board room and advise him that he isn't indispensable. How dare any player subject our Club to this unwarranted media attention. We look look bloody fools now. Omg what next! It's about time the Coach pulled these players into line or he can face a suspension as well.

This is the same Captain that felt the traditional FamilyDay was beneath him as he headed overseas for the Superbowl. Some excused him as this was a once in a lifetime event, well what's being made Captain of Collingwood an everyday event?

He hasn't started well IMO.

I wasn't aware of that because I find the family days a bloody waste of money. We need to dispense with this soft family club image and go back to being a mans world club where you drank piss in the outer and yelled your lungs out. I loved the good old days.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:45 pm

collie dog wrote:
Not sure I like the idea either, but believe me it WILL happen. It's inevitable. Besides, the entertainment value of night finals is so great (e.g. Superbowl Half-Time etc.) because the dark forms a perfect backdrop for the spotlights on the artists. But the main reason it will happen is this: Ratings only really count for TV in prime time (i.e. evenings). The next footy TV rights are said to be on offer for a massive $1.6 billion. I suggest that if the networks pay that sort of money it is inevitable they will demand a night grand final.

So get used to the idea because it will happen.

Sadly, my thoughts exactly, the greed of the League will consume them yet again, and it will happen, sure as night follows day, pardon the pun Exclamation Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Hiss wrote:
1061 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
He should stand down immediately! What the hell was he thinking with this stunt? If I was President, he would summons him to the Board room and advise him that he isn't indispensable. How dare any player subject our Club to this unwarranted media attention. We look look bloody fools now. Omg what next! It's about time the Coach pulled these players into line or he can face a suspension as well.

This is the same Captain that felt the traditional FamilyDay was beneath him as he headed overseas for the Superbowl. Some excused him as this was a once in a lifetime event, well what's being made Captain of Collingwood an everyday event?

I wasn't aware of that because I find the family days a bloody waste of money. We need to dispense with this soft family club image and go back to being a mans world club where you drank piss in the outer and yelled your lungs out. I loved the good old days.

Things must have changed, last family day I attended-years ago- they had sausage sizzles and sold warm beer, must have cleaned up the yobbos image . Laughing Laughing

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 am

43 grand finals
15 wins
2 draws
26 losses

I'm ready to give night grand finals a go
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 am

Love night footy and wouldn't have a problem with it. Actually, I think it'd be great
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Not keen on the night GF, but a twilight ie 4pm first bounce might, and I say , might, work.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

If we want to base our Grand Final on any comparable
international event, then I'd much rather base it on the English FA Cup Final than the U.S Superbowl.
Reasons?
FA Cup Final is 100 years old (just like our Grand Final).
It is played traditionally at the one ground (just like our Grand Final).
It is always played on a Saturday afternoon (just like our Grand Final).
In fact I'd go even further and increase the similarities.
Every FA Cup Final has most seats sold only once the two clubs are known. The majority of seats in the stadium then go to the two competing clubs. Around 30,000 to each and they fill the place with colour, excitement, noise.
So there's your entertainment - at least 60,000 diehard fans screaming themselves hoarse.
It is a much better spectacle than the Superbowl. The Superbowl is about pre game and half time shows. The FA Cup self-generates atmosphere as the place is full of fans.
How would that model work for us, a Grand Final full of fans? Somehow we have lost this and now even want to be more Americanised.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

i'd like the idea of a twilight gf. the hawks v crows twilight final a couple of years was great in terms of timing.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:03 pm

BHPIE wrote:
Not keen on the night GF, but a twilight ie 4pm first bounce might, and I say , might, work.

I was always against moving the timeslot, but I'm coming around. I think a twilight match would be awesome.

Not a fan of a 7.40 start though. That'd be too late I reckon.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm

A night/twilight Grand Final needs to happen.

Last years Grand Final was exhibit A on why the current model is stale and outdated. Shit atmosphere, shit spectacle and looked badly in need of a shake up and that's not even mentioning the dud match itself.

Virtually all the big games (prelims as well) are played under lights now, why? Because they look better on TV, they rate better and the many of us who work days (and Saturday afternoons) get the opportunity to go to/see the big matches.

And spare me the "wont somebody think of the children" hand wringing. The Grand Final is slap bang in the middle of school holidays and one late night wont hurt them.

I think the biggest concern is that people wont have an excuse to start drinking at 10am GF morning anymore and will miss the annual blind drunk half time kick/hamstring tear.

Tradition's wonderful if something works and is worth sticking with but when something is clearly in need of a make over but people still wont change then that's just stubbornness and bloody mindedness.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:27 pm

1061 wrote:

Let me see here, being live at the Super Bowl in New York versus CFC Family Day.

I know which I'd choose.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 pm

The small one, I think.
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Flashman wrote:

Tradition's wonderful if something works and is worth sticking with but when something is clearly in need of a make over but people still wont change then that's just stubbornness and bloody mindedness.

So the West Coast , Adelaide , Brisbane , Port Adelaide , Sydney and Fremantle fans should have the Grand Final played at their home State venue in future years when they qualify for it ?

And should premierships only count from 1987 when WCE & Bris entered or 1990 when the VFL became the AFL , and us winning the first AFL Premiership.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: