Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No more Banners?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So we lose the banners.
Maybe have a night GF.
Family day away from Vic Park.

Is 2014 the year we kiss traditions goodbye?
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

They hate our traditions. They see us as dumb weak fans who just keep buying memberships and turning up to games. Vote with your feet comrades!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Unfortunately it is true that CS members will no longer be making the banners anymore as the club will perform that duty instead. I think this is what many first feared back in 2008 and 2009 when the club took control of the CS and the activities that occur within the supporter group. It's sad to see how much the CS has become completely club-run with just members there to act as theatre-goers more than anything else. It's become too watered-down and while the club did aim to 'clean' it up I think it's killed the passion that the CS once had and the last of it back in 2008.

It's unfortunate that our CS has declined substantially in the past ten years. My thread about the CS needing some kind of change back in September last year and the responses demonstrated from that thread shows I'm not alone in my view that it needs some kind of change. I must admit I'm unsure of what exact change it requires but it needs a shake up of some kind.

Port Power in the Elimination Final set the benchmark of what modern day cheersquads should be aiming to be like in terms of it's presence and loudness as a supporter group. Our CS needs some life and rejuvenation in it. At the moment it's too quiet and lacks a presence in terms of loudness and the amount of flags and banners we have in that area.

1061 wrote:
So we lose the banners.
Maybe have a night GF.
Family day away from Vic Park.

Is 2014 the year we kiss traditions goodbye?

It's one of the reasons why I'm beginning to lose a lot of interest in the game of AFL in general. My love for Collingwood hasn't dwindled one bit but my love for the AFL and the league has dwindled substantially in the last twelve months unfortunately due to a number of events and incidences.

Last edited by Jezza on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Loving how?
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 am

Stolen from Ruperts website

Quote:
MEMBERS of the Collingwood cheer squad won’t be responsible for making the time-honoured players’ banner on match days from this season, in an AFL-endorsed decision to strengthen its fan base.

Over 100 loyal members of the Magpie Army — the AFL’s largest club supporter base — were told they was being relieved of banner-making duties at a meeting at the Westpac Centre on Tuesday night.

“Volunteers will create the banner, members will hold it up (and) the cheer squad will be all about barracking and sounding great on the day,” Collingwood spokesman Stephen Rielly said.

“We want them (the squad members) to not be concerned about the banner and to focus on making a lot of noise.”

Mr Rielly said the “proactive initiative” was based on the findings of a pre-Christmas survey conducted by cheer squad members.

It revealed the members wanted a rotating seating policy so the group could share “front of fence” seating in the cheer squad.

But Mr Rielly said the on-the-ground banner responsibilities didn’t bode well with the new seating arrangements.

“The members who turned up to the meeting were very enthusiastic because they were getting most of the things they asked for as part of the survey,” he said.

“These are initiatives which have come from them. It’s not like it’s been imposed on the cheer squad without them knowing about it or having a say.

“We hope this will create a greater atmosphere for our fans and to get more people members on board.”

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league supported the initiative.

oh, if you must have the link: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-cheer-squad-no-longer-responsible-for-making-players-banner/story-fndv8g1a-1226832043926

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

Well if the AFL support we should oppose it. Nothing they back is generally in the best interests of hard working average club members.

Side by Side we perish if we allow them to take control of our Cheer Squad. Stuff them Laurie. Lets put some balls into our own Cheer Squad. Boycott the AFL controlled Cheer Squads. Our voice shall be heard.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Well if the AFL support we should oppose it. Nothing they back is generally in the best interests of hard working average club members.

Side by Side we perish if we allow them to take control of our Cheer Squad. Stuff them Laurie. Lets put some balls into our own Cheer Squad. Boycott the AFL controlled Cheer Squads. Our voice shall be heard.

if you want to put some balls into the cs make sure you send bertha along.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Brenny wrote:
The banners, the club has been giving the cheer squad the wording and everything for a while. All the cheer squad did was put it together.

I personally never understood how it was enjoyable to do especially when you got to put 0 flair into it.

To be honest, it's one big advertising banner now anyway. Shame.

From the Age website....

Brenny, posting on the Extreme Black 'n' White Bullet In Board, wrote:
“The banners, the club has been giving the cheer squad the wording and everything for a while. All the cheer squad did was put it together. I personally never understood how it was enjoyable to do especially when you got to put 0 [zero] flair into it. To be honest, it's one big advertising banner now anyway. Shame.”

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-more-cheer-in-magpie-banners-20140220-333cz.html#ixzz2tqdKpx4E

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Brenny wrote:
The banners, the club has been giving the cheer squad the wording and everything for a while. All the cheer squad did was put it together.

I personally never understood how it was enjoyable to do especially when you got to put 0 flair into it.

i did the banner for a few years. despite the wording being determined by the club there was some artistic design allowed by those putting it together.

people did this week in, week out because it is an opportunity to contribute to the club, be a part of it. it is the reason why i did it. i probably treated it a little different, got in to do my it and got out. it was back breaking stuff.

others did it because they were allowed to go on the ground with it. for many, collingwood is their life. they will do anything for the club.

it all changed when justin reeves came on board and the advent of it becoming a marketing tool that brought in significant revenue on game day. was good exposure for the companies that paid up, still is.

lastly, it is/was a shame that the banner making was left to so few. in spite of it being open to any collingwood supporter it was the same old faces turning up every week. some travelled from geelong, ballarat and mornington to help every week.

brenny, please don't judge without fully understanding how it works.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Brenny wrote:

From the Age website....

Brenny, posting on the Extreme Black 'n' White Bullet In Board, wrote:
“The banners, the club has been giving the cheer squad the wording and everything for a while. All the cheer squad did was put it together. I personally never understood how it was enjoyable to do especially when you got to put 0 [zero] flair into it. To be honest, it's one big advertising banner now anyway. Shame.”

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-more-cheer-in-magpie-banners-20140220-333cz.html#ixzz2tqdKpx4E

From the same article, I like this bit.

Quote:
The squad has been supplied with uniforms that can be co-ordinated to create the appearance of black and white stripes. A new chant leader will aim to ensure all members chant the same thing at the same time.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-more-cheer-in-magpie-banners-20140220-333cz.html#ixzz2tqnlhPeF

All due respect to the guys who tried to get chants going, it was generally 1 person yelling and no one joining in. Didn't work well and the look overall wasn't great.

I know it's a big break with tradition and that there will be people feeling disenfranchised and discarded. For them I have empathy.

However, the 70's and 80's are gone. If the reforms lead to a cheersquad that all stand and cheer together, chant and make noise in unison, I'm all for it.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If the reforms lead to a cheersquad that all stand and cheer together, chant and make noise in unison, I'm all for it.

I want to see us play a style of football that makes us all want to stand-up and cheer.
There's nothing more intimidating than the Pies in full voice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: