Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peta Searle

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
IMO, you hire the best. If you aren't the best, then you don't get the job.

Lock it in Eddie. Exactamundo.

In some respects that was not consistent with manner in which Buckley was appointed & is dependent on the definition of he best.

Does a person have to have played so to speak to be considered the best?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:07 pm

watt price tully wrote:

As long as you understand the game, and the tactics of the game and you've learned how to coach I cannot imagine playing the game at any level being a necessity.

Many coaches out there at regional level that have only ever played junior footy, or lesser than that, so as long as you know what you are doing as a coach I cannot imagine there's much worry there.

I am not entirely sure there's much a need for another coach, but the club could offer an internship. Would be good for her and the overall publicity for the club. Always a spot at the VFL side.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Joel wrote:
dalyc, there is a difference between hiring someone in an administration position, and hiring someone as a coach.

Why? By extension, do you believe that the best players make the best coaches?

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 pm

The Prototype wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

As long as you understand the game, and the tactics of the game and you've learned how to coach I cannot imagine playing the game at any level being a necessity.

Many coaches out there at regional level that have only ever played junior footy, or lesser than that, so as long as you know what you are doing as a coach I cannot imagine there's much worry there.

I am not entirely sure there's much a need for another coach, but the club could offer an internship. Would be good for her and the overall publicity for the club. Always a spot at the VFL side.

An internship would be a great start.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm

dalyc wrote:
Why? By extension, do you believe that the best players make the best coaches?

It's funny I have had a debate about coaching in the past, the premise of that was that only premiership players make good premiership coaches. I think that Michael Voss, and potentially Tony Shaw has maybe shown that your ability to play the game doesn't really transfer to the coaching position.

I believe the coaching side is really based on how well someone learns team management, and tactics and such. Doesn't have to be a good player, just have an idea on how to do a gameplan and such.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:27 pm

And lets hope that Bucks proves you don't need to be a premiership player to be a great coach too! Smile
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:23 pm

dalyc wrote:
And lets hope that Bucks proves you don't need to be a premiership player to be a great coach too! Smile

I stand to be corrected but I reckon the vast majority of VFL/AFL premiership coaches didn't play in a premiership winning team themselves.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:

I stand to be corrected but I reckon the vast majority of VFL/AFL premiership coaches didn't play in a premiership winning team themselves.

Sanderson No
Leppitsch Yes
Malty Yes
Bucks No
Bomber Yes
Lyon No
Scott Yes
Scott Yes
McKenna Yes
Cameron No
Clarkson No
Roos No
Hinkley No
Hardwick Yes
Richardson No
Longmire Yes
Simpson Yes
McCartney No

Yess = 9
Nos = 9

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 pm

We already have a female coach - Lappin. We are doing our bit.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 pm

She should know her place, the world is going mad!!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:08 pm

dalyc wrote:
Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:

Sanderson No
Leppitsch Yes
Malty Yes
Bucks No
Bomber Yes
Lyon No
Scott Yes
Scott Yes
McKenna Yes
Cameron No
Clarkson No
Roos No
Hinkley No
Hardwick Yes
Richardson No
Longmire Yes
Simpson Yes
McCartney No

Yess = 9
Nos = 9

Sorry I meant over the entire history of the VFL/AFL.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Yeah - get to work dalyc!

I agree with the other posters that she shouldn't be given a coaching role just because she's a girl. I'm not sure if it's a bit of a press beat up but if her heart is in it I'm sure she could get a gig as an assistant at a local level and work her way up.

Non issue I think

- Ben
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm sympathetic to Tannin's view, and I generally agree that merit should be the sole factor taken into account. At the same time, I do respect the concept of affirmative action and understand why it exists.

The fact is that it's not necessarily as easy for Searle or any other woman to just walk into a VFL or amateur club and get a job. Many football clubs are hypermasculine places that won't take her seriously because of her gender and may not be comfortable with giving her such a role. The role of affirmative action is to counter that discrimination. Of course, it's problematic if it becomes tokenism. There's a fine line there.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 pm

David wrote:
I'm sympathetic to Tannin's view, and I generally agree that merit should be the sole factor taken into account. At the same time, I do respect the concept of affirmative action and understand why it exists.

Affirmative action definitely has a place and is not in opposition to "selecting on merit". As you go into below, disregarding factors of discrimination leads to people of greater merit being overlooked. You see it with women in business and politics, where they have better qualifications than male counterparts but are still passed over. Women are more highly educated than males, on average, in Australia but are still paid far less.

This is where affirmative action makes sense. Where the culture of an organisation or industry is preventing the best candidates from being selected. Effectively in these cases candidates are being selected just because they're male. So the cries against affirmative action of "hiring for gender" are completely the wrong way around, this is what it's protecting against.

Affirmative action, used properly, is about selecting the best candidate where, without it, that candidate would have been passed over due to prejudice.

David wrote:

The fact is that it's not necessarily as easy for Searle or any other woman to just walk into a VFL or amateur club and get a job. Many football clubs are hypermasculine places that won't take her seriously because of her gender and may not be comfortable with giving her such a role. The role of affirmative action is to counter that discrimination. Of course, it's problematic if it becomes tokenism. There's a fine line there.

There is a fine line. But where organisations or industries are slow to change, sometimes the rather blunt instrument of affirmative action is necessary. Again, using the example of women in business and politics, the change has been far too slow and more does need to be done.

MrMagic35 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Unfortunately she wasn't anything special according to people within VFL ranks. Of course Ayres was going to sing her praises when asked about her. Imagine if he hadn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: