Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DO YOU miss Chris Dawes now. ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
I personally would of never let him go.

This. I also wouldn't have asked him to play 2nd ruck, a role he's just not suited to.

I agree, but it was Dawes who requested the trade, we did the best we could out of that situation. Yes I know he was dismayed that he could struggle to get games behind Lynch but that can easily be fixed by performing consistently.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I think white will be ok in the long run, though dawsey did boot three goals today. I like dawes, far more than dollar daisy, I was sad to see him go really.

Yeah and Witts kicked two. Against Hawthorn.

He also had four more possessions. And 25 hitouts but of course that is a meaningless stat.

He can't hold a candle to Ceglar apparently.

Amazing how the standards for excellence change when a player leaves our list

LOL... stop that!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm

I think replacing Dawes with Lynch was silly in the sense that we thought we were closer to a flag in 2013 than we anticipated hence the main reason why we went after Lynch, but Dawes was really poor in 2012 though. His confidence was shattered in that year after we tried to mould him into the 'Leigh Brown role' so I wasn't completely surprised to see him leave and there's no hard feelings against him going to Melbourne.

Jesse White hasn't done too much to impress me and I was always weary of recruiting him despite what others were saying, but at least he's younger so he can become a better player as time goes on hopefully. There's clearly more upside with playing White over Lynch so I guess all isn't lost yet.

It would be interesting to see if Dawes did remain at Collingwood how he would be travelling at the present time. Would he be a better player than he was in 2012 or would have his development stalled. I guess we won't know the answers to these questions so no point dwelling on it in reality. Dawes helped us win a flag in 2010 but now he's moved on and we've moved on so that's the end of it.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Did you watch the Melbourne game??? He was garbage for most of it, couldn't lead, over ran the ball, gave away silly frees, palm up marking... Yeah I miss him !
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Jezza wrote:
I think replacing Dawes with Lynch was silly in the sense that we thought we were closer to a flag in 2013 than we anticipated hence the main reason why we went after Lynch, but Dawes was really poor in 2012 though. His confidence was shattered in that year after we tried to mould him into the 'Leigh Brown role' so I wasn't completely surprised to see him leave and there's no hard feelings against him going to Melbourne.

Jesse White hasn't done too much to impress me and I was always weary of recruiting him despite what others were saying, but at least he's younger so he can become a better player as time goes on hopefully. There's clearly more upside with playing White over Lynch so I guess all isn't lost yet.

It would be interesting to see if Dawes did remain at Collingwood how he would be travelling at the present time. Would he be a better player than he was in 2012 or would have his development stalled. I guess we won't know the answers to these questions so no point dwelling on it in reality. Dawes helped us win a flag in 2010 but now he's moved on and we've moved on so that's the end of it.

We didn't replace Dawes with Lynch. We signed Lynch as a FA. THEN Dawes requested a trade.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:43 pm

jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:

We didn't replace Dawes with Lynch. We signed Lynch as a FA. THEN Dawes requested a trade.

I'm well aware of the fact that Dawes left at his own accord after Buckley told him that he wasn't a certainty to play senior football every week and that we signed Lynch via the avenue of free agency just before Dawes left.

However what I'm saying is that Lynch was seen as a direct replacement or alternative at the very least to Dawes and if Dawes did stay then he had to compete with Lynch for that one forward line spot to play alongside Cloke. It was unlikely both would play in the same side unless Cloke was injured or suspension. Since Dawes was unwilling to stay, it meant Lynch was able to come in and play most of 2013 barring a few omissions along the way and overall he did not produce far better performances in 2013 than Dawes did in 2012 so in hindsight maybe going for Lynch wasn't the right move for the club especially after we realised a premiership flag was out of reach for the next few years as we started rebuilding on the go and started changing the list around with some key departures such as Heath Shaw, Dale Thomas, Darren Jolly, Alan Didak and Andrew Krakouer at the end of 2013.

The way I see it, Lynch was recruited at the end of 2012 so we could challenge for a flag in 2013. Naturally, most of us were excited and pleased with the move after Dawes' poor performances in 2012 and the heavy injury list we had in 2011 and 2012 but since a challenge of the flag was unlikely in 2013 and probably not going to occur this year as well I think the purpose of recruiting Lynch is now obsolete and as a result it wouldn't surprise me if we delisted him at the end of the year to make way for younger players in the side.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Dawes is still shocked he 's been replaced by 2 people from 2 states

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Cam wrote:
Bouncy chest... pass

And flat hands.

But I do miss Nuts Coventry and Daics.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Yeah but they just played against us and kicked goals against us jackcass.

It doesn't matter how tall or short they are - you want the guy you bitterly/jealously watched play well against your team the most recently.

Der.

I think the point is that the White/dawes debate is not helped by throwing in a bruest or a Gunston. you might as well throw in Cyril Rioli. the postion that White and dawes were vying for in the Collingwood team is the third forward/ruck guy. Perhaps you could have said you preferred Hale, since he is that guy for the Hawks. actually the position of relieving ruckman/third forward, is becoming one of the least effective positions on the ground.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Jezza wrote:

Dawes went and got himself a $500k per year contract with Melbourne. we couldn't offer him that and we didn't give Lynch that.

discussing replacement of players is only sensible if you take into account the salary that is also exchanged in the trade. In reality, we probably got Elliot/Lynch/Clarke/that Carlton hack all for Dawes.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Take whites ruck work over Dawes any day of the week. Loved dawsey but whites no worse a forward and a better ruck IMO which puts him ahead.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:00 pm

E wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:
Yeah but they just played against us and kicked goals against us jackcass.

It doesn't matter how tall or short they are - you want the guy you bitterly/jealously watched play well against your team the most recently.

Der.

I think the point is that the White/dawes debate is not helped by throwing in a bruest or a Gunston. you might as well throw in Cyril Rioli. the postion that White and dawes were vying for in the Collingwood team is the third forward/ruck guy. Perhaps you could have said you preferred Hale, since he is that guy for the Hawks. actually the position of relieving ruckman/third forward, is becoming one of the least effective positions on the ground.

But I don't prefer Hale.

He is weird looking.

I dunno what he looks like but it sure as hell isn't a footballer.

Shopping mall security maybe

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Yep - Never should of Got Rid of Him.

His 2 Replacements in Lynch and White have been very underwhelming

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Dawes got a better offer and took it. Simple. He wasn't guaranteed a spot in our team because he sucked badly as a second ruck, Lynch was better in this role. Melbourne offered him a certain start and far more money, why would he not sign?

Dawes is a decent forward, nothing special but decent. He was though a terrible second ruck option. Because he was so terrible, we needed to recruit one. After doing that, Dawes was worried he wouldn't be able to keep his spot and took the more secure spot at Melbourne. There's no fault on anyone here except Dawes's inability to play the role asked of him in 2012.

Lynch was a better option than Dawes, and White is a better option than Dawes in the role we need them to play.

Also, let's not forget: we essentially replaced Dawes with Lynch but also picked up Grundy, Broomhead or Kennedy. Can't remember exactly which it was. So yeah, White and one of those >>> Dawes.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 am

Jezza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:

I'm well aware of the fact that Dawes left at his own accord after Buckley told him that he wasn't a certainty to play senior football every week and that we signed Lynch via the avenue of free agency just before Dawes left.

However what I'm saying is that Lynch was seen as a direct replacement or alternative at the very least to Dawes and if Dawes did stay then he had to compete with Lynch for that one forward line spot to play alongside Cloke. It was unlikely both would play in the same side unless Cloke was injured or suspension. Since Dawes was unwilling to stay, it meant Lynch was able to come in and play most of 2013 barring a few omissions along the way and overall he did not produce far better performances in 2013 than Dawes did in 2012 so in hindsight maybe going for Lynch wasn't the right move for the club especially after we realised a premiership flag was out of reach for the next few years as we started rebuilding on the go and started changing the list around with some key departures such as Heath Shaw, Dale Thomas, Darren Jolly, Alan Didak and Andrew Krakouer at the end of 2013.

The way I see it, Lynch was recruited at the end of 2012 so we could challenge for a flag in 2013. Naturally, most of us were excited and pleased with the move after Dawes' poor performances in 2012 and the heavy injury list we had in 2011 and 2012 but since a challenge of the flag was unlikely in 2013 and probably not going to occur this year as well I think the purpose of recruiting Lynch is now obsolete and as a result it wouldn't surprise me if we delisted him at the end of the year to make way for younger players in the side.

I haven't gone back and checked the stats but I think you'll find that overall as a forward/ruck Lynch 2013 surpassed Dawes 2012. Just his effort in the Carlton game gets him that acknowledgement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: