Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone that wanted us to lose.......

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No Collingwood supporter ever wants to see us lose, that's just BS. Watching us lose is what brings the ""perceptive fellow"" emotions out in the first place. Off the high horse pal.

MONCO: Your life.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 pm

^No certainties but the win hasn't helped the cause and probably ended any faint hopes of pulling off the steal of the draft.

Collingwood.

Even when we win, we lose.

Such is the season.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:27 pm

The cynic in me was finding it hard not to believe we were tanking after Swanny mysteriously developed a hammy during the half time break. The Caffs' knee shortly after and I was like, nah, surely we're not that $£$%^%%$ committed?!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:31 pm

I have never heard about The Caffs' knee after . Where were you like nah we're not that $£$%^%%$ committed?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 pm

swoop42 wrote:
^No certainties but the win hasn't helped the cause and probably ended any faint hopes of pulling off the steal of the draft.

Collingwood.

Such is the season.

You might recall those idiots at North Melbourne, playng their hearts out for no reward to beat us in the final game of the season in 2013?
They were SO DUMB, that the victory on the sunday elevated them was it two spots higher on the ladder?
They had the chance to tank their position up the draft order and yet declined?
It seems the took McDonald 1st round with a FS pick, so not sure if they wanted Aish, Scharenberg, or anybody else likely to be snapped up?

http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-tracker

As our final ladder position might end similar to theirs in 2013, i'm not sure it would make any difference, if we need to commit to taking Moore with 1st round FS pick?

Dyso
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:46 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Rather another top ten pick than a win against the team sitting 3rd last in GWS.

We'll get smashed next week and this win will count for zilch other than it makes it less likely we'll snare Moore for a second rounder.

It's called the bigger picture and with the future of Scharenberg now uncertain being able to basically obtain two top 10 players in this years draft would be a massive boost to our future hopes.

Some of you can all comfort yourselves in this insignificant victory against poor opposition if you like I'd prefer to be selecting another potential Pendlebury in this years draft.

We tanked in 2005 and it was the smart thing to do.

Simple.

This line of thinking is why Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond and a few others are who they are - waiting for their next once in a decade tilt at a double-chance........

We didn't tank in 2005.
We made an early call on a few senior players, put others in for surgery, and sent out a team full of kids and triers every week that gave their all. Picked the best side available every week.
I remember going over to Adelaide to take on the reigning premiers with us sitting 13th or 14th or something on the ladder. We almost knocked 'em off, and the players were cheered and clapped off after giving their absolute all.
No chance I was going over to Adelaide to watch a team that was tanking.

If you didn't enjoy that win today, why bother following football????
In the hope we might tank enough to secure an arm-long-length list of #1 draft picks like Carlton & St Kilda??

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
magirl Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Tonight may just have instilled belief in our youngsters that a slightly higher draft pick cannot replicate. I want our team to always try to win.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Brown26 wrote:

Seriously, great win against the odds though, and the confidence these young guys will take from this game is worth more than any one player for next years draft!

- Ben

magirl wrote:
Tonight may just have instilled belief in our youngsters that a slightly higher draft pick cannot replicate. I want our team to always try to win.

Football = feeling & emotion.
It's not a mathematical equation.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 pm

King Monkey wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Rather another top ten pick than a win against the team sitting 3rd last in GWS.

We'll get smashed next week and this win will count for zilch other than it makes it less likely we'll snare Moore for a second rounder.

It's called the bigger picture and with the future of Scharenberg now uncertain being able to basically obtain two top 10 players in this years draft would be a massive boost to our future hopes.

Some of you can all comfort yourselves in this insignificant victory against poor opposition if you like I'd prefer to be selecting another potential Pendlebury in this years draft.

Simple.

This line of thinking is why Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond and a few others are who they are - waiting for their next once in a decade tilt at a double-chance........

We didn't tank in 2005.
We made an early call on a few senior players, put others in for surgery, and sent out a team full of kids and triers every week that gave their all. Picked the best side available every week.
I remember going over to Adelaide to take on the reigning premiers with us sitting 13th or 14th or something on the ladder. We almost knocked 'em off, and the players were cheered and clapped off after giving their absolute all.
No chance I was going over to Adelaide to watch a team that was tanking.

If you didn't enjoy that win today, why bother following football????
In the hope we might tank enough to secure an arm-long-length list of #1 draft picks like Carlton & St Kilda??

+1 With you on this Monkey. Laying down doesn't breed the sort of effort we want ingrained n this club.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 pm

piedys wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Collingwood.

Such is the season.

You might recall those idiots at North Melbourne, playng their hearts out for no reward to beat us in the final game of the season in 2013?
They were SO DUMB, that the victory on the sunday elevated them was it two spots higher on the ladder?
They had the chance to tank their position up the draft order and yet declined?
It seems the took McDonald 1st round with a FS pick, so not sure if they wanted Aish, Scharenberg, or anybody else likely to be snapped up?

http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-tracker

As our final ladder position might end similar to theirs in 2013, i'm not sure it would make any difference, if we need to commit to taking Moore with 1st round FS pick?

Dyso

Interestingly the Kangas had to use a 1st round pick ( 8 ) because the Eagles bid for McDonald at pick 6. We know what West Coast then did with that pick Very Happy. If it played out the same way and Roos finished two spots lower, they could have taken Scharenberg or Aish and McDonald in the second round. In the longer term, that is a very clear win.

No one ever really wants their team to lose, but sometimes a loss can be sweetened if there are positive longer term outcomes (being able to take Pendles and Daisy for instance).

I don't think it's very likely we would have got Moore with a second rounder even if we'd finished a couple of spots lower, but it would have been a huge win if we did, especially given Scharenberg's injury.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Collingwood.

Such is the season.

Mate just enjoy the win. I understand what you're saying but we as a club need to create a winning culture which is paramount to a successful team. How has tanking worked out for Melbourne or Carlton over the years? They're still languishing on the bottom of the ladder despite several high draft picks over the years, whereas someone like Geelong has just done well with building a great winning culture and drafting and developing kids well.

Drafts are risky and don't always work out the way we expect. Some years our high draft picks haven't developed well yet lower drafted players like Beams and Langdon have been gems for us. Whatever happens I have faith that we'll do well in the draft again this year. Hine seem to suggest last year that this draft is deeper in core talent as opposed to last year's where only the top 10 or 12 were the standouts.

TK Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Simple.

Yep that worked for Melbourne, Carlton and Saint Kilda over the last 14 years......... Rolling Eyes

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 pm

We lost to Adelaide in Adelaide by 110pts in round 21 of season 2005.

We lost to the team that finished last in Carlton in round 20.

We lost the game in most unusual and suspect circumstances against North in round 19 that most conclude now was to keep us at 5 wins.

We lost our last 8 games for the year.

We weren't very good but in round 19 especially we tanked when it mattered most.

It mattered most when it looked like we were going to achieve a most unlikely win.

Made no difference to us going forward, played finals in 2006, made the prelim the year after so just accept we tanked for the greater good and move on.

Last edited by swoop42 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I never wanted us to lose and it’s great to have 1 Final Win this Year
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm

TK wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Simple.

Yep that worked for Melbourne, Carlton and Saint Kilda over the last 14 years......... Rolling Eyes

The saints played in two grand finals and multiple final series in that time.

That's success for them.

Melbourne have been a rabble for 50 years.

Nothing can help them.

And Carlton, well who cares about them anyway.

May they live in misery for decades to come as karma for being such scum.

P.S-Tanking or low ladder positions greatly helped the recent Hawthorn premiership side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: