Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our core midfielders going forward

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsh and Karnezis could just be the smoky bigger bodied mids we're all hoping for I guess. Smile
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah it would be great if Marsh was able to come along and be an option he has size and pace - just the skills are not quite there yet - but still a lot of potential - o I would give him a go.

Giving the younger guys more opportunity through the middle might yield a real gem. It might even be worth throwing White in there now and then as a ruck rover at the bounces to use his size and pace. Ruffhead does it really well and although White does not have the forward arsenal of ruffy he can play further up the ground and cause some headaches running back into space.

I would like to see our team focus on pressure and run - maybe accept the skills are not A -grade but burn teams with pace and numbers to the ball. Young teams can do it and we have a bit of class around to make the most of opportunities the young guys could present.

The outside run is clearly the key component of the best teams and even young guys can make a contest and or pressure seasoned or more skilled players.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:08 pm

And for my part, I would like to show it to you, but I can't.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Yeah I know... you don't have a heart!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 pm

We need players who can run, carry, contest and
spread. They also need elite foot and hand skills with
a big tank.
We have not got these type of players full stop!
After Beams and Pendles ????????
Don't delude yourself into thinking that the above
mentioned players will take such giant steps.
Watching the top 4 sides in September just showed
me how far we are behind these sides.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm

^ i think most of our guys are 2-3 years away from being there.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
BBHS wrote:
A Leon Davis type would be very nice from the draft.

Yep, a Davis/Didak/Krakouer/Dick/Medhurst type small forward would be handy.

I actually think that's where Sidey plays his best footy. I remember him kicking 10 goals, mainly as a forward pocket in the U18s Grand Final. His problem atm, is that he is so good and has such a great tank that he is used all over the ground. With a more settled team, I'd like to see him played closer to goal more often.

Been thinking about this a bit since it came up in a BF thread, and the more I think about it the more confident I become that Fas with a solid preseason may be able to stake a claim on the spot.

Failing that, I'd like to see Sinclair given another crack. He managed to create the opportunities when he was first tried there, just couldn't seal the deal, he's a more established player now so I'd reckon hed convert those chances.

I've also thought Marsh and Karnezis may provide some of that F50 X factor and they both add great size and longer term possibly some midfield rotations.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Yeah it would be great if Marsh was able to come along and be an option he has size and pace - just the skills are not quite there yet - but still a lot of potential - o I would give him a go.

Giving the younger guys more opportunity through the middle might yield a real gem. It might even be worth throwing White in there now and then as a ruck rover at the bounces to use his size and pace. Ruffhead does it really well and although White does not have the forward arsenal of ruffy he can play further up the ground and cause some headaches running back into space.

I would like to see our team focus on pressure and run - maybe accept the skills are not A -grade but burn teams with pace and numbers to the ball. Young teams can do it and we have a bit of class around to make the most of opportunities the young guys could present.

The outside run is clearly the key component of the best teams and even young guys can make a contest and or pressure seasoned or more skilled players.

Made the same comment over on BF. Could be the making of him in much the same way it elevated Kouta. Could also unlock the F50 capacity by keeping him involved in the game.
McMonkey 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Agree with your sentiment RB. At key position we look to have the depth and class with players like Cloke, Reid and Brown as good as any in the comp. Gault, Moore, Frost and Keefe offer plenty of potential. Clarke (if we get him) and White are wild cards for mine, both have plenty of potential but I’d have question marks against their names in terms of delivering it.

I'm also a massive fan of trying White as a mid for short stints ala Roughy. It would be great to see Collingwood experiment with this in the preseason and the VFL if White isnt getting a senior game.

Our ruck stocks don’t have a lot of depth, Witts and Grundy could be one of the best combo's in the comp in the next couple of years but apart from them we only have part timers. I wouldn’t mind us adding a ruckman, either a youngster with a late draft pick or another Hudson type, I guess there is Mason Cox but not sure we can count on him.

But getting back to our mids, it is our biggest weakness in my opinion. After Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams and Swan we really drop off. Though I do think, as good as Beams is, he needs to improve his 2 way running and get more of the ball in defence to go to the next level.

As you said we need a core of a good 8 - 10 and we aren’t near that. In the list you mentioned to fill the breach my worry is height and contested ball winning ability.

Broomhead potentially seems the best of the lot, he has class, speed and accuracy. Thomas and Kennedy offer terrific pace and skill at times. Sinclair, Williams and Adams have their strengths and are part of the mix but I still feel we are another mid or two short and lack another couple of 185cm plus mids. Freeman has huge potential but given he has yet to play a game it’s tough to heap too much on him with any certainty. Of this lot, Adams looks to be the best contested ball winner, though he lacks the size. I certainly see him as a handy player though with good potential to help our big 4.

I agree with the posters on here with regard to Karnezis and Marsh having the potential and being the types we need but again, neither is yet to play a senior game, so not sure we can be certain these two are the answers.

Fasolo is another that has been mentioned, I’ve been very critical of him because he has great skills yet a poor defensive mindset sometimes. He hasn’t done much of a preseason over the last couple of years which means he probably needs to be cut some slack (by me). Again he is probably not in that size range however we need to compete with a Josh Kennedy, Luke Hodge, Nate Fyfe type mid. Seedsman has the size but not the contested game.

It will be interesting to see what types we chase in the offseason. High on my list would be a strong bodied, tall (185cm +) mid or two, that has a contested footy game.

I'm not sure who might be available at our second pick, assuming we take Moore at 8, which could help us in this area. I'd probably rather us go to the draft to find a player rather than recruit from another club, unless it is a player of proven class (like Dangerfield), that obviously won't come cheap. If we found someone like Heppell, I’d say that's the type we should be after to get our mids back to being able to compete with the top sides.

This is assuming Beams, Sidebottom, Swan and Pendlebury all have A grade years and our second tier mids all improve again. A lot of ifs, with a few things going right ( injuries/better player management) and luck we could get back into the top 8, even push up to 6th or 5th next year. We are a good 3 years off premiership contention though and by then we will need to replace Swan. Recruiting the best mid we can, with height and a contested ball game, is paramount for us in this off season in my opinion.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:26 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Marsh and Karnezis could just be the smoky bigger bodied mids we're all hoping for I guess. Smile

I think you could be right with PK, Has a lot of work to do to reach his potential and his potential is to be that big bodied mid we need.

Marsh though I think has showed he reads the play better behind the ball.
Some players are like that and when he was thrown back he certainly developed much quicker.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Since this year witnessed the rapid demise of Swanny, he can no longer be relied upon as an A grade midfielder for us going forward. If he returns to anywhere near his best it will be a bonus.

Therefore while we need 8-10 top midfielders to be a genuine top 4 team again, right now I count only 3, being Pendles, Beams and Sidebottom. We will not become a top side while we are overly reliant on these 3 midfield guns. Of our others I am very confident that another 4 will rise to the occasion over the next 2 years, that being Elliott, Broomhead, Kennedy and Adams.

This means we will need another 2-3 quality midfielders to step up to the plate within the next 2 years from the following group: Freeman, Williams, Sinclair, Karnezis, Fasolo, Marsh, Thomas and maybe even Scharenberg.

Given the age profile of most of these players, there's every reason for us to be optimistic that these players will develop into the top players we desperately need. Some of them will obviously fall by the wayside, but with an ounce of luck, enough of them will make the grade and help propel Collingwood back up the ladder.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 am

Just thinking it through again, I think Langdon is another potential big bodied mid.
He played his junior footy as a mid and his last year in TAC cup ( albeit an overage player) he had the second most possessions in the comp.

It was only his froth spurt and senior games in the backline at VFL level that gave him the experience to break into the seniors while the opportunities presented itself through injury.

I wouldn't mind seeing him take a role in the wing or through the middle. Certainly composed enough.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Just thinking it through again, I think Langdon is another potential big bodied mid.
He played his junior footy as a mid and his last year in TAC cup ( albeit an overage player) he had the second most possessions in the comp.

It was only his froth spurt and senior games in the backline at VFL level that gave him the experience to break into the seniors while the opportunities presented itself through injury.

I wouldn't mind seeing him take a role in the wing or through the middle. Certainly composed enough.

Yep, Oxley's another. We've got a collection of 188-193 types, none of whom you'd think are traditional mids or probable KPP options. Thinking Karnezis, Marsh, Goldsack, Langdon, Oxley, Seedsman, and Toovey types, obviously Scharenberg longer term. Be very handy if a few of them could stake a claim for the wings over preseason. Gives you some size and marking strength through the midfield.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 pm

jackcass wrote:
Yep, Oxley's another. We've got a collection of 188-193 types, none of whom you'd think are traditional mids or probable KPP options. Thinking Karnezis, Marsh, Goldsack, Langdon, Oxley, Seedsman, and Toovey types, obviously Scharenberg longer term. Be very handy if a few of them could stake a claim for the wings over preseason. Gives you some size and marking strength through the midfield.

Agree with all the names being bandied around but the most important thing is that EACH of them must get physically stronger to deal with the rigours of a long AFL season. We must try to prevent a few of these soft tissue injuries that gave me the shits this year.... Rolling Eyes
DT 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 am
Post subject: Re: Our core midfielders going forwardReply with quote

[quote="qldmagpie67"]
RudeBoy wrote:
Assuming we draft Mitch Clark and Darcy Moore, I suggest our ruck and KP stocks are very healthy, considering we've got Grundy, Witts, Frost, Reid, Brown, Keeffe, Gault, White and Cloke.

What we need to be a top 4 side is a core group of about 8-10 top midfielders. FWIW, I reckon we already have the makings of a great collection of mids, providing a mixture of speed, skill and grunt, in Pendles, Sidey, Beams, Freeman, Elliott, Adams, Sinclair, Williams, Broomhead, Kennedy and maybe Thomas. Of course, we've also got Swanny, but in light of his injury plagued 2014 season, coupled with his age, he should be considered a potential bonus, if he can rediscover his old self.

The great thing is that, bar Swanny, none of our mids are old, and most are very young, meaning the best is yet to

Rudeboy I tend to agree

I have concerns on some of our players with disposal ability. We have to many players who by hand or foot or both have issues consistently.
Pendles is fine and will be the leader of the pack

Elliott looks to be improving quicker than some
Williams inconsistent but has shown he can be very good at times
Sinclair needs more work
Kennedy needs more work
Adams patchy but has a huge work ethic
Broomhead nearly the best by foot of all the young group
Thomas needs more work

Then there is Swanny who I hope best isn't behind him as he could teach some of these young guys about gut running efforts and line busting

Leaves us with Sidey & Beamer
Both have issues in terms of consistent disposal effiency. Both are undoubted talents for sure but we need them to become elite every week and lead the younger guys.
Sidey has more class than Beams seems to have that god given class look about him and reads the game very well but his disposal by foot compared to hand is huge. 89.2% efficiency by hand over his career but only 58.6% by foot by the end of 2014. Understanding the pressure he was under a lot of the times in the second half of 2014 doesn't help his efficiency at all. Plus the difference between his absolute best to his quieter games needs to lessen ie like Pendles. An very astute player but we need him to become our gut running high efficiency type player.
Beams has oozed work ethic since he arrived. Doesn't look as skillful as a Pendles or sidey but makes up for it in continued efforts to get to the next contest. What I like about his game the most is he doesn't get that soft return handball 1-2-3 possession a lot of mids do. He needs to improve his tank as he fades out of games at times. One of our best kicks on the run or from a set shot a goal. His biggest weakness is he let's his opponent run free at times and needs to improve the defensive side of his game. He wins a lot of his own and others ball and needs to keep up that work ethic.
Both guys are still only 24 so there best is yet to come and can be the generals of the next generation of mids coming through.

I'm especially excited about Freeman. Has the pace and showed skills at under age level and if he can transfer this into AFL we have a future elite player on our hands.

Rudeboy I'm with you I like the mix we have would love 1 or 2 more big bodied types to clear some paths for our skilled players.

Great insightful comments re Sidey and Beams..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: