Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Season 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till November and the trade period
Half insanity and half full-blooded optimism

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
All these young names you all mention, I agree, look like promising talents and I have confidence they will turn into a range of quality to be on our list for some time.

However, most are <50 games and it won't be till they are 50-70 games that they will find consistent form through a season. They'll play a good game and then 2 or 3 below par. And that is why next year we will be at our worst in the cycle. We've lost experienced players and the most the youth haven't reached 50+ games.

Agree, it's all speculative. But how many people, if asked after round 23 this year, would not have had most of Elliott, Williams, Frost, Langdon, Adams, Witts, Keeffe, Sinclair, Seedsman, Grundy, Fasolo, Broomhead, Kennedy in or about their best 22's. And that's because they have for the most part performed relatively consistently and generally shown great improvement despite the relative inexperience which in and of itself gives cause for optimism.

And our win Loss was 3-8 for the 2nd part of the year, while the kids were playing and we lost a bit experience.

I hope your right and we blitz it in 2015. But my expectation is now around the 10th-14th positions.

It was 8-3 early in the year and we were still playing a lot of kids.

But the bottom line is by the end of the season (11-11 and honestly, that flattered us), we looked like a bottom 4 feeder...

Look some people will always be drawn to the negatives, that's human nature. We were good enough to beat Port during that period but that had nothing to do with us, it was about illness or training loads at Port. We did beat Carlton, Melbourne, and GWS. You see it however you want.

Personally, I agree, we didn't play well in the 2nd half of the season BUT we did see Broomhead emerge, we did see Ramsay show that he may have a future, we did see Witts play his best ever game, we did see Gault show he may have a senior future. In a situation where we were down to 24-25 players available for senior selection and we had a few playing injured, you take what you get and move on.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Forget any game after the one against the scum in round 7, we were horrible after that even in victory with the Melbourne game in particular just showing how God damn awful our forward transition is.

For me our performance from round 2 to 7 can be viewed one of two ways.

That our display during the time was a reflection of our increased fitness base from the previous year and importantly we had an early season fitness advantage over other teams, in particular ones who went further in September.

As the weeks went on this fitness advantage lessened and we came back to the pack and the results started to reflect more where we were at.

Think Collingwood circa 1997 under Shaw.

The flip side to that argument is that rounds 2 to 7 showed what we are capable of with a fit team before the injury toll mounted and other sides fitness levels became more on par with ours.

If in 2015 we can take to the field with improved fitness levels again, stop the flow of soft tissue injuries and keep our better players on the field for longer then what we displayed for 6 short weeks in 2014 might be extended out to 12 weeks and that should be enough to see us back in the finals again.

At present I'm not sure what is the more likely occurrence.

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:52 pm

jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
All these young names you all mention, I agree, look like promising talents and I have confidence they will turn into a range of quality to be on our list for some time.

However, most are <50 games and it won't be till they are 50-70 games that they will find consistent form through a season. They'll play a good game and then 2 or 3 below par. And that is why next year we will be at our worst in the cycle. We've lost experienced players and the most the youth haven't reached 50+ games.

Agree, it's all speculative. But how many people, if asked after round 23 this year, would not have had most of Elliott, Williams, Frost, Langdon, Adams, Witts, Keeffe, Sinclair, Seedsman, Grundy, Fasolo, Broomhead, Kennedy in or about their best 22's. And that's because they have for the most part performed relatively consistently and generally shown great improvement despite the relative inexperience which in and of itself gives cause for optimism.

And our win Loss was 3-8 for the 2nd part of the year, while the kids were playing and we lost a bit experience.

I hope your right and we blitz it in 2015. But my expectation is now around the 10th-14th positions.

It was 8-3 early in the year and we were still playing a lot of kids.

Buckley even admitted the balance of experience and youth in the 2nd half was too far in favor of youth and was a main contributor to our demise. 2015 won't be far different IMO. Maxy, Harry, Beams look like massive losses of experience to an already youthful side and that's before any injury has taken any toll.
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Forget any game after the one against the scum in round 7, we were horrible after that even in victory with the Melbourne game in particular just showing how God damn awful our forward transition is.

That our display during the time was a reflection of our increased fitness base from the previous year and importantly we had an early season fitness advantage over other teams, in particular ones who went further in September.

As the weeks went on this fitness advantage lessened and we came back to the pack and the results started to reflect more where we were at.

The flip side to that argument is that rounds 2 to 7 showed what we are capable of with a fit team before the injury toll mounted and other sides fitness levels became more on par with ours.

If in 2015 we can take to the field with improved fitness levels again, stop the flow of soft tissue injuries and keep our better players on the field for longer then what we displayed for 6 short weeks in 2014 might be extended out to 12 weeks and that should be enough to see us back in the finals again.

I'm not sure how you can ignore any set of games. They all count and all show where we are or show a trend. Our trend is what concerns me and it can't bounce upward till our youth get 50+games and find consistency.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Very good analysis swoop42. Just don't expect the injury toll to go away next year. The same fitness regime is in place. And we have so many players in the "dodgy" category now for injuries. Reid and Brown obviously, but remember we will be without Macaffer and Scharenberg for most of next season. And if we got Mitch Clark, well anything could happen.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:03 pm

melliot wrote:
Buckley even admitted the balance of experience and youth in the 2nd half was too far in favor of youth and was a main contributor to our demise. 2015 won't be far different IMO. Maxy, Harry, Beams look like massive losses of experience to an already youthful side and that's before any injury has taken any toll.

TBH, it’s a pretty silly idea to assess our prospects in 2015 without the knowledge of our final full list. IF we get Mitch Clarke and a couple more experienced players, the balance will be a perfect one.
Like Jackcass has said, it all depends on from which mental angle you are speaking from.
Realistically for me, the only intangibles are the inevitable injuries, WHEN in the season they occur and exactly WHO is affected. If like Sydney this year, we can keep the vast majority of our players on the field, I think we will have a really superb season in 2015. But in the end, God only knows…….. Rolling Eyes
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Lazza wrote:
IF we get Mitch Clarke and a couple more experienced players, the balance will be a perfect one.

Look I know it's not politically correct to say it, but somebody has to. Six months ago Mitch Clark was so mentally screwed he gave the game away for good (or so he said). What's changed? His desire to play? Fair enough, but depression is a condition that never goes away. We are talking clinical depression here. Mitch Clark will always be a ticking time bomb. Sorry, but that's the case.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

collie dog wrote:
Lazza wrote:
IF we get Mitch Clarke and a couple more experienced players, the balance will be a perfect one.

Look I know it's not politically correct to say it, but somebody has to. Six months ago Mitch Clark was so mentally screwed he gave the game away for good (or so he said). What's changed? His desire to play? Fair enough, but depression is a condition that never goes away. We are talking clinical depression here. Mitch Clark will always be a ticking time bomb. Sorry, but that's the case.

Well I have had depression and anxiety since 1999. It is caused by having a chemical imbalance in the brain. In my case it was so bad that I was off work for 2 1/2 years. It CAN be treated with therapy, anti depressants and other things like receiving great family and friend support, increasing your exercise regime, relaxing whenever possible and eating healthy foods. However I'm well aware that it cannot be fully cured and can relapse fast, especially if a person suddenly stops taking their prescribed medication.
As long as a person keeps doing the right thing and continues to take his prescribed medication, you can be as "normal" as possible without the depression, anxiety or panic attacks affecting you too much. I have survived now for over 15 years without any major relapse by doing this very thing.
Depression is a mental illness that does not have to end a person’s life if properly assessed, diagnosed and treated. If Mitch is in this category, he will be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: