Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

[Speculation] Is there anything to worry about?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil fair question to ask. Apparently this has been a ongoing investigation up here for 18 months but no one has said it has direct or even indirect links to the "blackest day in Australian sport"
If the rumors are correct the players concerned purchased X amount of snuff and then on sold or supplied it to others on a cruise and a bucks night.
Rumor has it there were players from rugby league and AFL in attendance between the 2 events.
There had been 2 arrests of former league players with large quantities of snuff who have been outing other names looking for some lighter sentence.
Thus far no AFL player has been charged but that doesn't mean there won't be.
Hunt was a suns player at the time of the alleged offense so I doubt (and pray) any pies players will be involved.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 am
Post subject: Re: [Speculation] Is there anything to worry about?Reply with quote

Stupied wrote:
Blackest day had zero to do with recreational drugs. Two separate issues that are confused way too often.

i understand the two are different. i vaguely recall a reference to illicit drug use at the time, over and above all the talk about performance enhancing drugs.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm

The Pies had a few players self report illicit drug use, according to Robbo, who managed to get players medical records. Although he points out that Collingwood weren't the only one, and weren't the worst offenders of the self report thing he seemed to make Collingwood the focus of his article.

I'd love to know how he managed to get the medical records from the AFL's drug testing, how he was allowed to reveal info that none of the clubs knew about.

It's still crap the AFL tests players, and no club have any idea on who is passing, or who is failing until they hit the third strike. Makes it hard for the club to get the player help to get off the drugs, if they're doing more than just smoking a bit of weed.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

The Prototype wrote:
The Pies had a few players self report illicit drug use, according to Robbo, who managed to get players medical records. Although he points out that Collingwood weren't the only one, and weren't the worst offenders of the self report thing he seemed to make Collingwood the focus of his article.

I'd love to know how he managed to get the medical records from the AFL's drug testing, how he was allowed to reveal info that none of the clubs knew about.

It's still crap the AFL tests players, and no club have any idea on who is passing, or who is failing until they hit the third strike. Makes it hard for the club to get the player help to get off the drugs, if they're doing more than just smoking a bit of weed.

I think it's disgusting that players are drug tested for recreational drug use anyway. What they do for kicks in their own time should be of no concern to their employer. Performance-enhancing drugs is another matter altogether. That's cheating plain and simple.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm

The Prototype wrote:

You're assuming Robbo wasn't just making shit up to make himself look relevant.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

I think it's disgusting that players are drug tested for recreational drug use anyway. What they do for kicks in their own time should be of no concern to their employer. Performance-enhancing drugs is another matter altogether. That's cheating plain and simple.

I agree but it is becoming more prevelent, mining industry in WA for instance.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 pm

I don't have a problem with testing for recreational drug use in industries like mining, transport etc where there are valid workplace health and safety issues around the use of heavy equipment etc. But I can't see how that can be justified in football. The drug testing in the AFL/NRL etc is about 'protecting the brand' rather than ensuring a safe working environment. To me, that completely sucks.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

As long as it does not interfere with them on game day I have no issues with rec drug use, I think that if they have a problem the club should know and be able to help. Otherwise if it's not enhancing a performance I have no issue, my problem really is someone having by their own claim player records and access to them and able to report who has, or has not self reported themselves and how many times.

jackcass wrote:
You're assuming Robbo wasn't just making shit up to make himself look relevant.

Either way, he made a claim to have seen medical records of players and had access to the players who have self reported. I think he should have been investigated and asked how he supposedly (if he was making it up.) got access to this and probably have his accreditation revoked.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

The Prototype wrote:

the afl has just endorsed no change to the current illicit drug policy.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

John Wren wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

That's correct JW! Here's the link about it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-ceo-gillon-mclachlan-says-contentious-three-strike-drug-policy-will-remain/story-fni5f22o-1227237620825

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm

John Wren wrote:

Yeah, I know, I am not much a fan of the clubs having no idea what's going on three strikes rule probably a bit much but that's their issue. Clubs should probably be kept in the loop, just my opinion anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:39 am

Should we worry?
No!

Could any of our players be involved?
They could!

Do I have faith in our Club to manage the team should/could any of the players be involved?
Yes I do!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 am

John Wren wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

Why is the drug policy illicit?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:39 am

I worked for a while in the drug & alcohol domain (Vic DHS) and there is a belief that recreational drug use can in fact be performance enhancing. Not in the same way as steroids obviously.

Conversely there is research that recreational drug use can adversely impact athletes competing in high intensity sporting activity. Admittedly, an athlete having a heart attack on a footy field has less collateral damage than someone driving a bus through a crowd but that doesn't mitigate the responsibilities of the AFL.

No doubt it's largely about brand protection for the AFL but that doesn't discount the importance of ensuring they provide a safe working environment.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:14 pm
Post subject: Re: [Speculation] Is there anything to worry about?Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
Stupied wrote:
John Wren wrote:
do you think we (the afl and/or collingwood) have anything to be worried about in light of khunt's charges?

when the statement was made a couple of years ago that a particular day was "the blackest day in australian sport" it also inferred that there were activities outside of what the flogs from tullamarine were up to. are we now just starting to learn what they meant back then?

Blackest day had zero to do with recreational drugs. Two separate issues that are confused way too often.

i understand the two are different.
i vaguely recall a reference to illicit drug use at the time, over and above all the talk about performance enhancing drugs.

Fairly sure there was quite a bit in the report about the increasing links between players and the underworld regarding illicit drugs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: