Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great big taxation discussion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:

Choose not to buy? Choose? As if. The vast majority don't "choose" not to buy, they have no bloody choice, and the reason they have no bloody choice is that rich bastards who already own one house can get free money rorted out of the taxpayer to buy a second house, and a third one, and so on. Eleven billion dollars worth of free money. And that is what has pushed the price of housing up to insane levels. If you don't already own a house, it is very, very difficult to buy one 'coz you have to compete against government subsidised rich cnuts leeching off the poor bastard who pays his own taxes and can't claim his one and only house as a deduction the way that rich people can claim their two or three or seven.

Don't injure yourself climbing down off the soap box there Comrade. You sure have a low threshold for what constitutes a rich cnut. Rolling Eyes

Just because some working class people manage to work and save and invest in property they're suddenly put in the same bracket as the actual rich.
So TP is a rich cnut.
WPT was renovating a house he purchased not long back, I assume that was an investment property, he's obviously a rich cnut too according to you.
The woman who works for me and her husband, two working class people with 2 teenage kids who used the equity in their own home to buy an investment property must qualify as well. Next time she asks for a pay rise I'll have to tell her, "No, Tannin has declared you're a rich cnut".

Negative gearing is only one part of the whole tax system that needs to be reviewed and all of the possible consequences and impacts that changing each part can have.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 am

Try getting your facts right, Stui. As I already said, the overwhelming majority of negative gearing rort money goes to very wealthy people who own two, three, five, seven different houses. Your examples are at the fringes only, you are not touching the great bulk of the rorting.

Secondly, no-one is talking about doing anything even slightly harmful to anyone here. Got that? Not even slightly harmful. Get rid of the negative gearing scam and there is absolutely nothing stopping those people you mentioned buying an investment property. Absolutely nothing. The only difference is that they are now buying it with their own money, not leeching off the poor bloody taxpayer.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 am

Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:
Say they do sew up that loop hole, what's the next thing the blue collar savers should give up? Should I flog my second hand JetSki so the gambler / dole bludger / shoe collector/ drag racer up the road can start on his deposit?

1: It's not a "loop hole", it's a rort, and a bloody enormous one.

2: It's not available to any blue collar people bar a tiny, tiny minority. Only people who are either already wealthy and a piddling little handful of others on the make are able to take advantage of it.

3: It's blue collar people who pay for it - all the other Australians, 20 million of them - through higher taxes and reduced services. This is money that should be used for something useful like train lines and hospitals and reducing the deficit and lowering tax rates. Instead, it's paid to a handful of wealthy property investors who already own their own houses and get paid government money to buy up other houses they aren't even living in.

4: It doesn't benefit blue collar people. It only benefits wealthy people. The reason you pay so much tax is that a small number of other, mostly much wealthier people can and do get out of their obligations through scams like negative gearing. They aren't pulling their weight, so you have to work harder and pay more tax and save less. It's not helping blue collar people get ahead, it's pushing them bback.

5: Your children (and mine) are looking at a future where they will never be able to buy a house because negative gearing has grossly inflated the prices. This is intergenerational theft on a grand scale.

It's available to the blue collar worker who takes the chance, just like we did back when, on one blue collar income, (lots of overtime to get ahead) little kids, with a fair sized Morgege already, 3rd hand cars and 2nd hand furniture. Just because you weren't smart enough or gam enough to give it a go, don't begrudge those that did. This is one thing I do know about, from personal experience, so I won't back down. Your wrong. As for pulling their weight, my husband drives me to distraction, but I've never ever met anyone who has worked longer or harder, than he has done since he left high school at 14, due to the very crap public education system, that let him slip through.

Educated doesn't make you all knowing. Cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 am

Culprit wrote:
I have three empty houses near me, purchased by Chinese Citizens. Rolling Eyes The sellers were happy as they got top dollar. Where are the squatters? Move in and live for free.

I started posting that last night, but changed my post to the smart arse one instead! But your spot on. Thankyou. Not only is the government selling off everything, and allowing the local industries to die, they allow overseas buyers to do what they hell they want. They don't go to many auctions my side of town, too cheap, but in the more affluent suburbs, they are slowly building.

I'm sure there are wealthy Aussies doing it too. But that doesn't mean it's exclusive to the rich. But we have all seen the stories of the outstanding teen, who saved their paper round money and bought their first negatively geared property at the age of just 18, yes with the first home buyers grant. And I'd don't begrudge them one bit.

Just love those who don't get off their arse and do something, but still enjoy paying out on those that do.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 am

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Choose not to buy? Choose? As if. The vast majority don't "choose" not to buy, they have no bloody choice, and the reason they have no bloody choice is that rich bastards who already own one house can get free money rorted out of the taxpayer to buy a second house, and a third one, and so on. Eleven billion dollars worth of free money. And that is what has pushed the price of housing up to insane levels. If you don't already own a house, it is very, very difficult to buy one 'coz you have to compete against government subsidised rich cnuts leeching off the poor bastard who pays his own taxes and can't claim his one and only house as a deduction the way that rich people can claim their two or three or seven.

Don't injure yourself climbing down off the soap box there Comrade. You sure have a low threshold for what constitutes a rich cnut. Rolling Eyes

Just because some working class people manage to work and save and invest in property they're suddenly put in the same bracket as the actual rich.
So TP is a rich cnut.
WPT was renovating a house he purchased not long back, I assume that was an investment property, he's obviously a rich cnut too according to you.
The woman who works for me and her husband, two working class people with 2 teenage kids who used the equity in their own home to buy an investment property must qualify as well. Next time she asks for a pay rise I'll have to tell her, "No, Tannin has declared you're a rich cnut".

Negative gearing is only one part of the whole tax system that needs to be reviewed and all of the possible consequences and impacts that changing each part can have.

One hundred percent on the money.

And it's not just about fixing loop holes, or snatching an even higher percentage of those that have worked their way up, t's about making sure welfare goes to those that really need it. How many millions could be saved stopping the lazy bastards who don't want to get a job, don't pay child support, mothers having more and more kids, and no one to support the kids, insurance scam cheats, it goes on and on. As Stui said, the whole thing needs overhauling.

I totally agree that negative gearing should be phased out, but I won't accept calling people the nastiest word in the English language, because they took legal advantage of it, while it was legal.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 am

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:

WPT was renovating a house .....he's obviously a rich cnut too ......

We'll you're half right Wink Shocked

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am

Considering it's been policy taboo for so long, what's the actual reasoning for allowing negative gearing in the first place? I understand that personal greed makes it a loser at the polling booths, but who ever thought that decreasing potential tax revenue and inflating housing prices was a good idea?
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am

I don't begrudge anyone who jumped on the speculative housing investment bandwagon. It was an easy and obvious way for an individual/family to accrue some private wealth.
The fact I think it's a massive mistake for our nation as a whole is a separate thing.
Presently the situation has Australia as the number one nation on the planet for Household Debt. Everyone bangs on about the Government debt and deficit, but that is far more easily managed than crippling household debt levels.
Household debt meaning; mortgages, credit cards, overdrafts & personal loans. That leaves the personal financial status of many of us on a knife edge. This level of vulnerability is obviously not a good thing.
The one killer to the system, (or more correctly to the deck of cards) will be inflation IMHO.
Inflationary pressures will raise interest rates and kaboom the housing market will be blown asunder.
I fear the tide is turning against us - a rise in GST (to make up the shortfall in tax income that we presently give away ala negative gearing etc) and the fall in the value of the $A (pushing up the costs of imports) will exert inflationary pressure. Prices for goods and services will naturally rise if we add more tax to them or our dollar falls.
The pressure on the stressed out, mortgaged out, indebted out, will be to demand higher wages to keep up.
If we get into some inflationary spiral, then interest rates must rise as the value of the dollar drops as lenders won't cop a reduced value for their loan repayments.
Mum and dad investors will then have higher interest rates on their beloved investment property and they too will stress. The pressure then will be not to invest in speculative housing, but to divest. En masse they all try to sell before the next guy does. The bubble bursts.
Inflationary pressure and interest rate rises will do this.
I suppose when you compare nation to nation, some one has to top the pile for household indebtedness. It's just a pity that government hand outs and somewhat gullible individual personal investment strategies have left us so vulnerable.
I pity the party in charge if (when?) the bubble bursts - they will cop a right whack in the polls.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:04 pm

David wrote:
Considering it's been policy taboo for so long, what's the actual reasoning for allowing negative gearing in the first place? I understand that personal greed makes it a loser at the polling booths, but who ever thought that decreasing potential tax revenue and inflating housing prices was a good idea?

It was originally intended to stimulate the Building Industry for new houses, which creates employment etc etc but the law of unintended consequences obviously bit again when people realised it could be used to purchase existing properties which are now the overwhelming majority of situations.

None of these things are ever as simple as "lets create a policy that reduces tax revenue and increases the cost of houses", not is it as simple as just stopping it.

Newtons 3rd law applies to more than physics. Whenever you do something that impacts a system it will have consequences and not always just the ones you want.

Anyway, as usual this part has been derailed by chest beating on negative gearing when that's only one very small part of the debate that needs to happen.

Since thread splitting is the topic de jour, do you want to split some of this off into a new thread or should I start one called the Great big taxation debate, you can copy the relevant posts into it and we can then let the conversation turn to shit anyway because of blinkered lefties?

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:58 pm

^ Fine with me. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 pm
Post subject: The great big taxation discussionReply with quote

The Libs have put the tax system on the agenda for discussion, and rightly so.

http://bettertax.gov.au/

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that the current taxation system is $%$ed. It's been built on a foundation that comes from a different world, had tack ons and amendments that were probably well meaning at the time but have been exploited over the years. basically, IMO, it's weatherboard house built in the 50's that's been extended and modified multiple times to the point that it's just beyond repair and needs to be demolished and rebuilt.

So. Contributions from the collective wisdom of the VPT.

Just one request, try to actually think about it rather than just regurgitating cant. If you touch any part of a system like the overall taxation system, it has consequences both intended and unintended.

have a read of the stuff at the link. Lots of our Public Servants created that and ask yourself some questions.

is it fair that bracket creep, if left unchecked, will eventually have everyone in the top tax bracket?

Why should savings be all taxed differently? Interest on money in a bank account gets slugged at marginal rate tax, but super, shares and others get various rates of concessional tax.

Should the GST be expanded or increased?

Organisations like Uber now exist that are valued at a full metric fuckload of money, yet have fuckall actual assets or employees. Air BNB similar. The new age of doing business is/will have a serious impact on tax collection from a system that's based on gouging most of it's revenue from the poor working stiff.

How do we design a tax system for the 21st century that is fair and generates the revenue the country needs to pay for services such as health and education, just to name a few.

"Tax the rich more" is the statement of an idealistic imbecile, try to apply some actual thought.

And hey, if you really come up with some good ideas, tell someone who cares, like Treasury.

David, do your stuff.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:56 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

It was originally intended to stimulate the Building Industry for new houses, which creates employment etc etc but the law of unintended consequences obviously bit again when people realised it could be used to purchase existing properties which are now the overwhelming majority of situations.

None of these things are ever as simple as "lets create a policy that reduces tax revenue and increases the cost of houses", not is it as simple as just stopping it.

Newtons 3rd law applies to more than physics. Whenever you do something that impacts a system it will have consequences and not always just the ones you want.

Anyway, as usual this part has been derailed by chest beating on negative gearing when that's only one very small part of the debate that needs to happen.

Since thread splitting is the topic de jour, do you want to split some of this off into a new thread or should I start one called the Great big taxation debate, you can copy the relevant posts into it and we can then let the conversation turn to shit anyway because of blinkered lefties?

The present problem was created by a change in the tax treatment of losses incurred on property investment in the 1980s. Negative gearing had been possible for a long time prior (perhaps forever - I don't think the earlier history matters for present purposes) but only to a very limited extent - the losses on property investment were "quarantined", so that they could only be warehoused to be applied to reduce the tax payable as a result of later profits from property investment.

The nub of the present problem is that the "losses" from the property investment can be applied against one's "personal exertion" income, thereby reducing the effective marginal tax payable on the "personal exertion" income. To put it simply, that change had the consequence that those of us who don't "negative gear" property investments (or, for that matter share acquisitions etc) subsidise the tax concessions of those who do. IIRC, the Hawke/Keating government removed the quarantining arrangement in 1985 or 1986 and then, about 6 months later (perhaps realising the error?), tried to reinstate it. A very effective (please note, I use the term "effective", not "accurate") lobby concerning the alleged effects upon the supply of private rental housing and the price of rents made it politically difficult to achieve the reinstatement. That probably sounds like nonsense, now (it probably was then, too) but there were private rent assistance schemes administered through the State and Territory public housing authorities from about 1983 or 1984 as a response to the unaffordability of private rental housing for people on low-incomes - the criticism of those, of course, was that they just added inflationary effect to the rental sector (since landlords typically added the value of the rent assistance subsidy to the existing rent, thereby increasing their income and rendering the rent assistance a subsidy to them, rather than their tenants).

At the time the quarantining was removed, it may have looked (at least politically) like it didn't matter much when the then cost of the negative gearing cross-subsidy (or, if you prefer, the reduction in the total income tax revenue base) was only going to be in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars per year. But when we come to the present day, the cost is measured in the tens of billions. And, of course, it is only going to continue to increase exponentially, since the price of housing doubles about every ten years on average in Australia.

The essence of the problem, though, is in the cross-subsidy arrangement. Residential property "negative gearing" bears that in common with every other form of debt-capital raising to purchase assets. The intriguing thing will be to see whether the Lib/NP government quarantines "negative gearing" losses for all asset investments or just for residential housing. Speaking as a taxpayer, I'm happy to pay for education, hospital, roads etc but I'm not sure I see any good reason why I should pay for your second and subsequent property purchases or your share purchases.

I might, perhaps, add that it isn't the politics on envy speaking, there: I do have a holiday house but it is not (and has never been) negatively geared, even though it is very easy to do (and extremely common). I think that to do so is "unethical" but my tax accountant thinks I am an "idiot".
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I do have a holiday house but it is not (and has never been) negatively geared, even though it is very easy to do (and extremely common). I think that to do so is "unethical" but my tax accountant thinks I am an "idiot".

That's admirable, and I wish more people followed that example, but I don't judge people who use the system to their advantage. The system just has to be reformed, I reckon.

Let's hope that Hockey somehow finds the courage to address this (not holding my breath).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Funny I feel judged!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

^^^ No need to feel "judged", tp and I apologise if I contributed to that. I just hoped to provide a reasoned explanation of how, historically, negative gearing in its present form came to be permitted, the problem I believe it has created and why it, in my opinion, the system requires reform.

It's perfectly legal and many people take advantage of it. I deliberately avoided using the word "rort" - that is, a fraudulent or dishonest practice - to describe it because I do not consider that people who are just doing what they are allowed (and, frankly, encouraged) to do should be criticised. I judge the system and the politicians, not the ordinary people who live their lives in accordance with the system. Indeed, one might go further than that and say that, as with superannuation investment, people are doing precisely what the tax concession was intended to encourage them to do.

Finally, I only mentioned my personal position at all because over the years people have been too ready to say "Oh, you're just jealous because you can't". My reference to negative gearing on holiday houses being "unethical" is because that area does seem to me to be closer to being actually dishonest (because it is often predicated upon using a property in a "seasonal" area during the peak, advertising it for "holiday letting" for the rest of the year when no-one will want it and then claiming that the holiday house was a failed rental venture for 48 weeks of the year, for which eleven twelfths of the expenses are deductible).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: