Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Chomsky/Harris non-debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Perhaps I'm a bonehead too, because unless you're nailing Harris for anthropomorphising and ascribing morality to societies/nation states (a common sin), then I have no idea what you're talking about.

A common sin? A complete disqualification, more like it. The bloke moves between individuals, groups and mass entities without alerting his readers they're different phenomena.

Specifically, in reference to their email exchange, I'm calling Harris a twit for not knowing anything about Chomsky's thinking, and therefore being unable to work him out. I also find the very discussion of "our righteous motives" outright cringeworthy. Is that the essence of our superpowers, is it?

"Yes, your child's limb was torn off because we triggered a sectarian war that we were advised was very likely to be triggered; but we meant well. Even Sam Harris thinks, that in this particular case, we really did, because he studied our leaders' body language frame-by-frame, and it was quite different from, say, the Monica Lewinsky lie." Laughing

Does Harris really think he has discovered some miraculous new phenomenon in extremist Islam being overtly aggressive, and advanced, extremely powerful postindustrialists claiming to have good intentions? Peoples have been overtly aggressive, or deceitfully aggressive or callous for millennia. I mean, he's such a bum he doesn't even know we're being deceitful or putting lipstick on a pig, as if the PR agents, paid shills, nice suits, leaked documents, prosecuted journalists, revolving doors, and staged performances are an artistic cultural flourish or something. And, as we have seen time and again, put us under security or financial pressure, and we become overtly rabid; we just happen to live lives of low-stress luxury.

Acknowledging our sins, and then going right back to his "our good motives make us special", doesn't change that one bit and is still no substitute for serious psychosocial analysis. The bloke needs to do some serious study of these things because he's a sociology and psychology ignoramus. People have been trying to tease these factors apart for centuries.

And I did LOL at Chomsky asking Harris to investigate George W. and his god-driven war. Bush's handlers couldn't cover all the looney god stuff up; sometimes it slipped out, while in such things as State-of-the-Union addresses, it's stated outright as a matter of state, no less. (And, sometimes, Bush's handlers let it out deliberately when he needed to appease the far right. Which reminds me, have you noticed we have a far right and a political spectrum, but other cultures don't, lol. A truly astonishing sociological phenomenon, that one!).

You tell me, David, seeing as this is apparently the epiphany Harris is supposed to bring me: What am I supposed to glean from Harris description of a situation whereby overtly aggressive groups clash with deceitfully aggressive groups? What grand moral insight is Harris showing me, aside from it looking like he hasn't noticed he's reading PR spin when it comes to us on the one hand, and knows nothing about sociology and social psychology when it comes to the great variety of human predicaments, good and bad, on the other?

Yes, but we don't preach about killing people, so we must be morally superior! Look! Check our leaflets! Not a single incitement to jihad! Just a call to stop teRRoR!

Cultures clash; some are more violent than others due to a still massive list of factors we have yet to bring under any serious intellectual control. Does Harris even talk about the most important of them, socio-economic development? Does he even know what it is? That's one area we know a bit about, but I guess he avoids it because if he seriously analyses the centralisation caused by the artificial oil economy, and its impacts on the societies concerned, and in contrast he looks at the decentralisation caused by industrialisation in the West, his "but we mean well" thesis will look even more embarrassing.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Who the hell is Chomsky?

I could ask the exact same question, but I'd ask it in the DILLIGAF thread. Razz

Anyway, I thought you could buy ointment for Chomsky at the supermarket these days, you didn't need a prescription. Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:48 pm

I much prefer the work of Nim Chimpsky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Who the hell is Chomsky?

I could ask the exact same question, but I'd ask it in the DILLIGAF thread. Razz

Anyway, I thought you could buy ointment for Chomsky at the supermarket these days, you didn't need a prescription. Wink

It actually sounds like the Russian version of a chomp.

P.S-Whatever happened to the Polly Waffle?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:36 pm

pietillidie wrote:
And I did LOL at Chomsky asking Harris to investigate George W. and his god-driven war. Bush's handlers couldn't cover all the looney god stuff up; sometimes it slipped out, while in such things as State-of-the-Union addresses, it's stated outright as a matter of state, no less. (And, sometimes, Bush's handlers let it out deliberately when he needed to appease the far right. Which reminds me, have you noticed we have a far right and a political spectrum, but other cultures don't, lol. A truly astonishing sociological phenomenon, that one!).

And it was a misplaced attempt at oneupmanship, given that Harris has been a long-time critic of the religious right's influence on American politics and George W. Bush in particular.

While some of Harris's claims do slip into cringeworthy special pleading, his ideas on the concept of cultural superiority are a lot more nuanced than you're giving him credit for. This is no dumb rah-rah defence of empire; Harris is primarily interested in how a society should be (and no, the answer is not "like the US"), a worthy subject if there ever was one. If you haven't before, I'd encourage you to have a look at his book The Moral Landscape before casting too much judgement on him based on this email exchange and a handful of inane comments about Muslims.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 am

^Fair enough, but do understand I would've read him with keen vigour if he had a coherent approach to researching culture and/or religion and/or societies and/or economies and/or the formation of cognitive constructs. But no, nothing. His efforts at serious scholarly research are a much bigger yawn again; have you read them? Would you have even expected religious and non-religious thought to look different on an fMRI scan? To then learn nothing from your own non-findings and push forward all the same beggars belief. FYI, that is exactly the kind of point-and-shoot, badly hypothesised academic work Chomsky hates. You have to have good reason to test something (i.e., a mature hypothesis) and suck in academic funding like that Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:37 am

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Who the hell is Chomsky?

It actually sounds like the Russian version of a chomp.

P.S-Whatever happened to the Polly Waffle?

Polly Wafflski had a visit from the Russian Mafia. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:55 am

David wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Finally

This is how the rest of us feel to David

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 am

Haven't heard too many conversations like this down at the local......

Maybe start a new section - Victoria Park Library, Victoria Park Study Hall, Victoria Park Philosophy Room???????? Cool

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:02 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Finally

Well, neither of you would understand it, because unbeknownst to you, Harris hasn't actually told you exactly what he's investigating!

His only effort at serious definition found no difference between thoughts about religion, and thoughts about any old stuff. In other words, he has written pages and pages about something he himself can't even detect scientifically.

(Yes, I know you didn't mean that Wink )

But have you ever tried to define religion? Is it a psychiatric state? A set of beliefs? A mystical set of beliefs? A mystical set of beliefs based on a mystical set of writings? An organisational form of some sort? A body of belief and practice? A community of like thinkers? Whatever Wikipedia thinks?

Well, guess what? Harris doesn't know, either, despite writing endless pages on it. Which is why I keep saying if you can't even define religion, and you can't locate it in the brain, and on top of that you don't know a single Muslim at any depth, and beyond that you've never even lived in one of the multitude of Muslim cultures for a time, WTH makes you think you've got anything useful to say about "Islam"?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:05 am

King Monkey wrote:

Maybe start a new section - Victoria Park Library, Victoria Park Study Hall, Victoria Park Philosophy Room???????? Cool
Computers is Computers.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Finally

Well, neither of you would understand it, because unbeknownst to you, Harris hasn't actually told you exactly what he's investigating!

His only effort at serious definition found no difference between thoughts about religion, and thoughts about any old stuff. In other words, he has written pages and pages about something he himself can't even detect scientifically.

(Yes, I know you didn't mean that Wink )

But have you ever tried to define religion? Is it a psychiatric state? A set of beliefs? A mystical set of beliefs? A mystical set of beliefs based on a mystical set of writings? An organisational form of some sort? A body of belief and practice? A community of like thinkers? Whatever Wikipedia thinks?

Well, guess what? Harris doesn't know, either, despite writing endless pages on it. Which is why I keep saying if you can't even define religion, and you can't locate it in the brain, and on top of that you don't know a single Muslim at any depth, and beyond that you've never even lived in one of the multitude of Muslim cultures for a time, WTH makes you think you've got anything useful to say about "Islam"?

It's a way of dodging tax.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:51 am

King Monkey wrote:

You really need to get out more! Mr. Green

TP, that's how some posters here might feel, but for the rest of us, PTID provides good value and engaging debate (once you've read his posts a couple of times over... Wink). Sure, this thread is doing my head in, but I only have myself to blame for posting such an obscure topic in the first place. There's probably a 1 to 1 correlation between the posting of a thread about Noam Chomsky and the woolliness of the ensuing discussion.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:42 am

David wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

You really need to get out more! Mr. Green

Nah, it's just we prefer the local pub for relaxation to an archaic library.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:13 pm

King Monkey wrote:

You're just not drinking from the top shelf! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: