Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

last day at Vic park 1999

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangles wrote:
I remember them recreating the Denis Banks hit on Rhys Jones. Banksy punched out a dummy. I suspect they wouldn't be glorifying that sort of thing today.

I also remember the Lions players were taunting Bucks and saying "Finals footy, aye?" and laughing at him, because Bucks had said that he wanted to leave Brisbane to come to come to Collingwood to play finals footy.

I remember the wedding and thinking it that it was a bit tacky and that we got thumped and then the players had to sing our theme song on the ground after losing. All in all it was a pretty shit day.

But the celebration at Vic Park after the 1990 Grand Final win was fantastic.

I bet one Egging Bucks on what that Red Head Leppitch

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Disappointing for me that the area we had stood on for years was taken over by corporate stands for the day. So we never got a chance to really say goodbye to people we had sort of known for years. I knew then that the keen regular every week supporter was no longer considered by footy clubs as bread and butter.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:59 pm

I wish I could have seen us play at least once at Vic Park.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Easily the best part was the wedding at half time and the crowd booing when the celebrant said you can kiss the bride. Eddie was rght behind us and Carla was punching him in the arm to make him stop laughing. Oh then there was Christina we met after the after match function. if you are still out there .....just joking happily married man now.....

I also did enjoy the Collingwood fans booing Ricky Olarenshaw as he warmed up by running around the boudary. I think they were thanking him for his wonderful service to the Pies as one of best ever recruits.

Then there was Tazza coming on stage munted at the end of the night, should have guessed there was worse to come from that time on.

Without doubt the only enjoyable loss I have ever attended. The result was secondary.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:53 pm

David wrote:

Best Chance be in a NAB Challenge but with it being a Public Park. I doubt that would happen

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:09 pm

I was there. I still have a jar with some of the VP turf that I took as a keep sake on that day
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Barras was there that day in Scum, Dees, and Roos jumpers. He was involved and was celebrating our history.

It was wet, we got flogged. The wedding at half time in the mud of the Sherrin stand was pure bogan.

As an older dude who went there often as a kid I cried at the end. The old place was no more.

I said to my son when leaving, we, Collingwoood need to take the passion and fear supportes put into the other mob at Vic park with us. I wonder if we have?
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I couldn't make it that day.
Things that stand out
Pushing my one year old son in a pram up a big hill to my brother's place to watch the game on tv
The telecast was live. On a Saturday afternoon this did not happen back then.
They had a fake VB advertising logo in the background covering where the crowd was for a lot of the game. Have never seen it since.
Twiggy, Lou, Daics, Banksy and a few others re-enacting glory at half time
Pre game telecast of Tony Shaw addressing the troops. First time I'd seen inside the rooms I think.
Getting pumped by the lions to collect the spoon and wondering when we'd ever get back after a very ordinary half a dozen years of results.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I was there. I still have a jar with some of the VP turf that I took as a keep sake on that day

I did that too. As did many. I still have my copy of Hot Pies from that day somewhere. It was a sentimental day. The result of the game didn't matter that much. We knew we'd get pumped. We didn't win many that year. Louie was there in his old fashioned gear. It was a dignified exit for the old girl and for Shawy.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:45 pm

[quote="GeorgeQ”]Leaving, we, Collingwoood need to take the passion and fear supportes put into the other mob at Vic park with us. I wonder if we have?[/quote]

I highly doubt that. Eddie is not a fan of Vic Park.

He rather us be at Eddie Land

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 am

David wrote:

Same here in some respects.

Apparently I have been to Collingwood matches at Victoria Park but I was far too young to remember any of it sadly and in regards to the final game I can't remember the actual day to be honest.

I have very small memories of 1998/1999 but none of those include matches at Victoria Park.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 am

It was a day that sucked from my end , i hated those smug lions. It was a day filled with sadness for many of us. Each time a suburban ground was taken footy lost a little bit more of its soul. In saying that I am happy that the VFL team is playing there and keeping the old girl's spirit alive. Its an honor to kick a footy on Victoria Park.

www.facebook/the hybernators
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:08 am

Jezza wrote:
David wrote:

Same here in some respects.

Apparently I have been to Collingwood matches at Victoria Park but I was far too young to remember any of it sadly and in regards to the final game I can't remember the actual day to be honest.

I have very small memories of 1998/1999 but none of those include matches at Victoria Park.

Sadly I am old enough to remember most of the 80's, and even sadder I was unable to attend the final match.

I will forever remember standing on discarded beer cans to see daics in all his glory as well as other finer more distinguished parts of the Vic Park culture such as the peanut man, who would drag his hessian bag of peanuts through the beer soaked blue stone gravel calling out "hereya peanuts, shillin a bag."

It Always intrigued me as a kid, as shillings were long gone, I thought the only way to get peanuts off this guy was to rob an old person and take all his by gone shillings.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 am

The peanut man was an institution.
Went around all the suburban grounds.

J Boyd Peanut Man 2.jpg

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm

I was there and have some great photos on FaceBook.

Many memories but the overwhelming emotions was sadness and disappointment. It was a tragedy we got smashed. I think Molloy toweled Mal Michael and then we swapped them yeah?

The motorcade was really emotional. Daicos and McKenna Smile
Still a hallowed place. In my mind no doubt one of the more spiritual places on earth. That Collingwood race under the middle of the Ryder stand OMG.

Goose bumps thinking about how many ghosts live there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: