Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Maxy on Beams Trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You're entitled to your view, as is Tannin - and I'm very aware that I seem to be just about the only person on Nick's who was genuinely pleased to see Beams go (and had been wanting it for the preceding three seasons).

I understand that he's an accumulator and his numbers look great but I just don't think he does much damage to the opposition unless he's kicking lots of goals. Swan, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, the player who used to be Dale Thomas and Luke Ball all had or have attributes that turn games. Beams doesn't.

I just never thought much of Beams as a player - to me he is just a bloke who happened to be in a winning Grand Final team but barely fired a shot in either. I'm confident he was trying his best both days and I would never criticise his effort. I just think he's another in a long line of apparently "top" players who can't step up to the necessary level when it really matters because they don't have the special qualities needed in the biggest of games.

There are a number of A-grade midfielders in the AFL. Ablett, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Pendlebury, for example. However you describe Beams - and wherever you draw the line on what's "elite" - he was never in their class. He had a year where he got a lot of disposals - interestingly, I saw that as symptomatic of the team's decline, since he was mostly getting disposals that had been in Pendlebury's and Thomas' hands the previous year.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:06 pm

A good, thoughtful post, Pies4shaw. Actually, Beams has long seemed to me to be one of those players who are possession monsters but never quite click it as true greats. Who was that player over at Footscray who retired a couple of years ago, the one who used to get close to 40 possessions a game every week but somehow never hurt you that much? A bit like that.

This is not to denigrate Beams: he's a very, very good player, but as you say, one who seldom really hurts teams unless he kicks a few himself. You'd have him in your 22 every day of the week, but he's not a Pendlebury, a Judd, a Playerwhousedtobedalethomas, a Watson, or a Dangerfield. He's in that next level down, more like Murphy or a Gibbs (though he's better than either of those two), what you might call an "A-" grade player.

And as you say, who wold you rather have playing in your grand final side? A Beams? Or a Sidebottom? Or even ... dare I say it ... a Crisp?

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:15 pm

I agree with your Pies4shaw… I always thought Beams owed us with his poor GF performance in 2010. In 2011 final series he was injured and did nothing and pulled out of 2011 GF if my memory is correct. It is not a game I like to watch over.

Beams was blasted along with other mids for being lazy by Pendles… side stepped up again - Beams chose to leave… he was a one way runner and often waited for goal opportunities around the 50m arc. He was a good finisher and accumulator - but I was not shocked how he left the club and I was not upset when we scored Crisp, DeGoey and Greenwood - we did well - and I would certainly not give back our 3 new guys for Beams. We are better off!

Beams A- ok maybe - although I would say a B+ given he has done nothing of merit when it counts in the finals. Sidey stepped up in GF's and I like the way Crisp goes about it, also De Goey - these guys have the right stuff even if they are not yet at Beams level… watch this space though!

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
You're entitled to your view, as is Tannin - and I'm very aware that I seem to be just about the only person on Nick's who was genuinely pleased to see Beams go (and had been wanting it for the preceding three seasons).

I understand that he's an accumulator and his numbers look great but I just don't think he does much damage to the opposition unless he's kicking lots of goals. Swan, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, the player who used to be Dale Thomas and Luke Ball all had or have attributes that turn games. Beams doesn't.

I just never thought much of Beams as a player - to me he is just a bloke who happened to be in a winning Grand Final team but barely fired a shot in either. I'm confident he was trying his best both days and I would never criticise his effort. I just think he's another in a long line of apparently "top" players who can't step up to the necessary level when it really matters because they don't have the special qualities needed in the biggest of games.

There are a number of A-grade midfielders in the AFL. Ablett, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Pendlebury, for example. However you describe Beams - and wherever you draw the line on what's "elite" - he was never in their class. He had a year where he got a lot of disposals - interestingly, I saw that as symptomatic of the team's decline, since he was mostly getting disposals that had been in Pendlebury's and Thomas' hands the previous year.

Fair assessment. And I got to say I do agree with this. Perhaps my use of the term elite was too flippant in that from the trade I would like to see one of the 3 guys at least reach the same calibre as beams.

I believe he was an A -grader. But I also concede that perhaps "elite" is another step above that in which the abletts and pendles fall into.

He certainly was not as you correctly identify In their class. He was however a very very good footballer and a complimenting mid fielder of high skill. And sticking on topic to win the trade we need to find similar in De Goey, Greenwood or Crisp.

Mind you I should probably shut up on the topic, I'm all arms and legs and feet in mouth on this one. I'm not sure I have really formulated or researched my opinion appropriately and am just talking for the sake of it.

There's a point I'm trying to make somewhere in here.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:48 pm

September Zeros wrote:
I'm not sure I have really formulated or researched my opinion appropriately and am just talking for the sake of it.

On Nick's Collingwood BBS?

No.

I don't believe that.

No-one here would ever be like that.

Couldn't happen.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:17 pm

September Zeros wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Fair assessment. And I got to say I do agree with this. Perhaps my use of the term elite was too flippant in that from the trade I would like to see one of the 3 guys at least reach the same calibre as beams.

I believe he was an A -grader. But I also concede that perhaps "elite" is another step above that in which the abletts and pendles fall into.

He certainly was not as you correctly identify In their class. He was however a very very good footballer and a complimenting mid fielder of high skill. And sticking on topic to win the trade we need to find similar in De Goey, Greenwood or Crisp.

Mind you I should probably shut up on the topic, I'm all arms and legs and feet in mouth on this one. I'm not sure I have really formulated or researched my opinion appropriately and am just talking for the sake of it.

There's a point I'm trying to make somewhere in here.

No, I certainly don't think you should shut up on any topic. I enjoy reading your posts and it is because I think (from reading many of them in the past) that you can be reasoned with that I took the trouble to set out my views.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Man hug.*

Game on. Go Pies!

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Crisp superb again today. I never thought I would see this level, so soon. Great player with more in the tank to come.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Crispy was fantastic and his pressure acts (11 tackles) was fantastic. The mighty Cam tipped Crispy to be a gun for us and as always he was on the money.

De Goey was also bloody impressive coming on as the sub I thought and won some crucial contests.

Throw in Greenwood and we'll finish well in front in this deal.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:29 pm

Tannin wrote:
A good, thoughtful post, Pies4shaw. Actually, Beams has long seemed to me to be one of those players who are possession monsters but never quite click it as true greats. Who was that player over at Footscray who retired a couple of years ago, the one who used to get close to 40 possessions a game every week but somehow never hurt you that much? A bit like that.

This is not to denigrate Beams: he's a very, very good player, but as you say, one who seldom really hurts teams unless he kicks a few himself. You'd have him in your 22 every day of the week, but he's not a Pendlebury, a Judd, a Playerwhousedtobedalethomas, a Watson, or a Dangerfield. He's in that next level down, more like Murphy or a Gibbs (though he's better than either of those two), what you might call an "A-" grade player.

And as you say, who wold you rather have playing in your grand final side? A Beams? Or a Sidebottom? Or even ... dare I say it ... a Crisp?

More than a couple of years ago, but I believe you mean Scott West.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Beams was gone anyway so I think it's more a matter of 'we didn't get screwed' and we may well have come out even if not in front.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm

Damien wrote:
Beams was gone anyway so I think it's more a matter of 'we didn't get screwed' and we may well have come out even if not in front.

Another nice way of viewing it.....

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:51 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Tannin wrote:

More than a couple of years ago, but I believe you mean Scott West.

Well, you know how it is mate, when you get to our age. You run into an old mate and say,

"Hey, last time I saw you'd just had a daughter. How is she? Must have nearly started school by now, yes?"

And he says "Yes, she's doing second year, at Monash. She's doing arts/law".

"Uh .... right ... yep ... that's what I meant" you lie, not expecting him to believe you for one moment.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Who is he telling this to?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:05 am

Crisp's unexpected but great form this year has really tipped the balance of the trade in our favour substantially especially if De Goey becomes a great player for us and Levi replicates the form he demonstrated last year with North Melbourne with us this year when he recovers from a fractured ankle.

This topic actually arose on Triple M pre-match yesterday when I was listening to it in the car on the way to the MCG. Brian Taylor, Danny Frawley and Jay Clark (Herald Sun journalist) were discussing this trade. Clark and Frawley believed that Collingwood were the winners out of the trade especially with Crisp's emergence this year but BT was adamant that there's a long way to go to determine who wins the trade and even going as far as saying that Beams' "career hasn't started yet" which is a ridiculous statement to make to be honest.

However I did agree with BT overall however that there's still a fair way to go to determine who wins the trade but assuming all players involved in the trade including pick 67 for Brisbane all live up to their expectations then I think Collingwood will be the overall winners in the end. I liked the praise that was provided from Clark and Frawley about our list management and the way we're focusing on building a great side rather than thinking about the present moment.

Last edited by Jezza on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: