Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian Triggs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

National newspaper? You are kidding, right? Taking Rupert's dirty money to write press release propaganda for the LNP house magazine doesn't count as getting published in a newspaper. Newspapers usually exist to print the news, at least some form of it, and to sell papers and make a profit. The reason - the only reason that in-house Liberal Party mag even exists today is that Abbott's sleazy rich friends are stumping up almost one million dollars a week to prop it up.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Anyone with half a brain & with a pulse would have seen the senate committee in February where liberal national attack dogs kept bullying this honourable woman.

She asked one particular liberal cnut sorry member (?McDonald) if after his continual berating of Trigg, he'd actually read the Human Rights report they were complaining about. Guess what, this dickwad said he wouldn't waste his time doing so as though being ignorant is a badge of merit. This is the level of political debate we have courtesy of the mad Misogynist Monk & his attack dogs.

Now the undertaker (Dutton) got his facts wrong this weekend & collated two things & misattributing the liberal party construction to Trigg.

The only question that hasn't been answered truthfully is what inducements were offered by the government to get Trigg to quit. The Government has had more twists & backflips than acrobat & essentially is a corrupt. No iff's, buts or maybes.

But as usual TBF brings us tripe & seriously blames the victim here. One doesn't have to play the gender card, it been played: first by the libs now by TBF. She was asking for it wasn't she? Rolling Eyes

Now this isn't two sides to an argument that somehow have equal merit unless you are Pollyanna or a cynical Liberal party sycophant. FFS many clear headed Liberal party people are disgusted with Abbott over this tactic.

It's also a distraction from yet again another bad budget & the growing long term unemployment that has increasing rapidly under this government & this government is doing zilch about.

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Dutton is a bit of a worry. He mishandled the Medicare rebate and now has been proposing powers which even a considerable number of his colleagues have a problem with. I heard the other day that he was a member of the Qld police force before he entered parliament. As an ex Queenslander, I can say that the police do not have a good reputation in that state.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:55 pm

partypie wrote:
Dutton is a bit of a worry. He mishandled the Medicare rebate and now has been proposing powers which even a considerable number of his colleagues have a problem with. I heard the other day that he was a member of the Qld police force before he entered parliament. As an ex Queenslander, I can say that the police do not have a good reputation in that state.

part of me feels sorry for him because the medicare budget reform / co payment was bad & unfair policy. He gets the chop for doing the governments PR.

He is clearly out of his depth. But I hope the Government keeps this up because it has reflected very poorly on them & will be seen as another attack by Abbott on women. The perception is furthered by Abbott's tactics.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:54 am

Oh dear. It appears that I have hit a nerve with WPT and Tannin. Their hysterics and personal attacks are more rabid than usual.

Typical, play the man and smear those you disagree with, with false innuendo and accusations. Typical of the intolerant bigoted left.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 am
Post subject: Re: The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian TriggsReply with quote

David wrote:
I can't think of any government less entitled to jump on the moral high horse, but by god do they stuff it up when they do.

Michelle Grattan says it all.

https://theconversation.com/brandis-and-dutton-play-some-dirty-pool-in-their-fight-with-gillian-triggs-42948

Quote:
Brandis and Dutton play some dirty pool in their fight with Gillian Triggs
Michelle Grattan

Last Friday, Attorney-General George Brandis and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton issued an extraordinary statement declaring that the president of the Human Rights Commission, Gillian Triggs, needed to explain her comments linking Australias turn-back policy and negotiations with Indonesia about the death penalty.

But, it is the two ministers who should be called on to explain their statement.

Dutton has just provided yet more evidence as to why he should under no circumstances be given sole power even subject to judicial oversight under the governments proposed new law to revoke the citizenship of dual nationals involved in terrorist activities.

As for Brandis: well, as the nations first law officer, he should, frankly, know better. Brandis professes to believe in free speech, famously defending peoples right to be bigots. Yet he calls for an explanation of an arguable proposition whether correct or not from someone who is perfectly entitled to make it.

And this person is a statutory officer who is independent of government.

Nothing they do surprises me any more, to be honest. But they desperately need to be punished for this behaviour, and it's just not happening.

The hilarious thing about this, of course, is that nothing that Gillian said on the subject is even remotely controversial.

That, of course, is hardly surprising since Gillian doesn't have a track record of being controversial - she's not part of any "Left", she just happened to be appointed by an ALP Government. From where I sit, it appears that she was selected for appointment because she was at the time the country's most eminent international lawyer, not because she has any radical or particularly progressive tendencies.

It's a sure sign of the pathetic state of politics in this country that the Government has been able to get away with such outrageous attacks on someone who has been consistently criticised for stating the bleeding obvious.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:02 pm
Post subject: Re: The Government's disgraceful attacks on Gillian TriggsReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:
I can't think of any government less entitled to jump on the moral high horse, but by god do they stuff it up when they do.

Michelle Grattan says it all.

https://theconversation.com/brandis-and-dutton-play-some-dirty-pool-in-their-fight-with-gillian-triggs-42948

Quote:
Brandis and Dutton play some dirty pool in their fight with Gillian Triggs
Michelle Grattan

Last Friday, Attorney-General George Brandis and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton issued an extraordinary statement declaring that the president of the Human Rights Commission, Gillian Triggs, needed to explain her comments linking Australias turn-back policy and negotiations with Indonesia about the death penalty.

But, it is the two ministers who should be called on to explain their statement.

Dutton has just provided yet more evidence as to why he should under no circumstances be given sole power even subject to judicial oversight under the governments proposed new law to revoke the citizenship of dual nationals involved in terrorist activities.

As for Brandis: well, as the nations first law officer, he should, frankly, know better. Brandis professes to believe in free speech, famously defending peoples right to be bigots. Yet he calls for an explanation of an arguable proposition whether correct or not from someone who is perfectly entitled to make it.

And this person is a statutory officer who is independent of government.

Nothing they do surprises me any more, to be honest. But they desperately need to be punished for this behaviour, and it's just not happening.

The hilarious thing about this, of course, is that nothing that Gillian said on the subject is even remotely controversial.

That, of course, is hardly surprising since Gillian doesn't have a track record of being controversial - she's not part of any "Left", she just happened to be appointed by an ALP Government. From where I sit, it appears that she was selected for appointment because she was at the time the country's most eminent international lawyer, not because she has any radical or particularly progressive tendencies.

It's a sure sign of the pathetic state of politics in this country that the Government has been able to get away with such outrageous attacks on someone who has been consistently criticised for stating the bleeding obvious.

Your kidding right Shocked

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:46 pm

I apologise for the confusion.

What I meant is:

"It's a sure sign of the pathetic state of politics in this country that the Government has been able to get away with such outrageous attacks on someone who has actually been doing nothing more than stating the bleeding obvious."
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I apologise for the confusion.

What I meant is:

"It's a sure sign of the pathetic state of politics in this country that the Government has been able to get away with such outrageous attacks on someone who has actually been doing nothing more than stating the bleeding obvious."

Thanks. That's clarified it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 pm

"it" being [quote] Thanks?
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:55 am

I'm not sure I buy that this is about gender, although I have no doubt that the Liberal Party houses at least a few unreconstructed misogynists who resent a woman being in any position of power. I think the important point here, though, is that they would have used the same tactics on anyone the most important thing for this government is to shoot the messenger at all costs, to just keep smearing and distracting and hope that the outrage which should rightly be directed at them can be pushed onto an alternative target.

It's all really appalling, and what makes me despair most is my suspicion that all of these cutting pieces in The Guardian, The Age and elsewhere just aren't making a dent in the wider electorate. Out of all this, the cheap, stupid smears probably have much greater staying power, and I think the government knows this.

Last edited by David on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:11 am

Of course it's not about gender. It's about rule by intimidation, and the vicious hatred senior members of the Liberal Party have for anyone with the moral standing and courage to stand up for decency and fairness. They see her as an example, as someone who must be cut down and humiliated pour encourager les autres .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: