Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Proof of Stats can Lie

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stats have always looked good for Beams, and De Goey and Greenwood not yet having a huge statistical impact is a huge surprise Confused. Basically, this article says that Beams has better stats than Crisp this year (who for some reason doesn't appear in the list? And looking at that list, he'd clearly be in the top 3). Well done.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:46 pm

fluff piece to make brisbane fans think they've done well out of it....
MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Yet our team stats overall have improved including number one in contested possessions.
Look at the halftime Monday with maxy and bucks says they haven't had to keep forwards and Mids up behind the ball this year. Basically scores against from rebounds are way down on last year - accountable midfield anyone ?

I watched beams live in the GWS match. His goals were cheap and he never ran back to defend from the stoppage. He is a one way runner, always has been.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Beams has been great for the Lions just like Crisp has been great for us. Has Beams been a better recruit than Crisp….yes. Has Beams been a better recruit that Crisp, DeGoey and Greenwood……maybe, but when Greenwood plays, I would think we're in a better overall position.

But in terms of individual players, Beams beats all three of our guys hands down.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Great to see Beams having another big night against the Dogs.

What shedding Beams means, of course, is that we'll have one slow midfielder less when we come to play the Dogs ourselves this year, so there's a chance we might get some first possession against them this time.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:02 pm

I disagree WIN, Beams is avg. disposals 28.8, avg. goals 0.8 in a team currently 17th as arguably their best mid

Crisp is avg. disposals 21.1 avg. goals 0.9 in a team currently 4th and is playing as a stopper and getting his pill.

we are a better midfield with Crisp as he is a two way runner and has more strings to his bow. Beams in a good midfield can change a game off his own boot, but in a average midfield he just racks up cheep ones.
With or with out JDG and Levi, we've had an upgrade IMHO.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:45 pm

We shouldn't also forget Josh Watts at pick 65 which was the other pick we gave up to get pick 5 (selecting De Goey), pick 25 (used to trade for Greenwood) and Jack Crisp, so he should be included when analyzing this overall trade.

I think we'll be the overall winners of the trade if potential is anything to go by. Crisp has exceeded everyone's expectations, De Goey has the tools to be a future club champion and Greenwood is a solid player who will be a positive contributor to the club if he replicate his 2014 form when he returns from injury.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:59 pm

^^Not really. Pick 65 is of extremely low value (though I sense Tannin would disagree). Watts wasn't even available to us was he? And if the Lions wanted him they would easily have found another way.

Based on our team needs we are already way ahead on the deal. Crisp is a better fit and having more impact than Beams. As long as Greenwood and De Goey aren't disasters we've won out comfortably.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 pm

As good a player that Beams is, at the end of round of 12, the lions hadn't won the contested ball numbers against any opposition this season to date.
I would have thought their premier signing who gets so much of the ball would have helped to improve that important part of the game.
Winning contested possessions and leading the tackle count is what wins most games. That's why Crisp has been enormous for the Pies.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:21 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
We are a better midfield with Crisp as he is a two way runner and has more strings to his bow. Beams in a good midfield can change a game off his own boot, but in a average midfield he just racks up cheep ones.
With or with out JDG and Levi, we've had an upgrade IMHO.

Glad someone has said it. Couldn't agree more. Crisp is a better runner and generally more dangerous. Beams gets a lot of the ball in close, but a lot of the kicks are screwed around the body etc. His ability to kick goals with us got him his A grade tag, but you can see at Brisbane that 30 plus Beams possessions is hurting no one.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
As good a player that Beams is, at the end of round of 12, the lions hadn't won the contested ball numbers against any opposition this season to date.
I would have thought their premier signing who gets so much of the ball would have helped to improve that important part of the game.
Winning contested possessions and leading the tackle count is what wins most games. That's why Crisp has been enormous for the Pies.

The reason I always thought Beams would never be a top player is that he's not a great contested ball winner and is too slow and lacks the engine to be a receiver.

He definitely turned out a better player than I expected, but I think the above weaknesses are still significant. What's more they are becoming more significant as the game relies more and more on gut running. I always had Sidebottom clearly ahead of Beams for this reason and I'm very happy with what we were able to get for Beams.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

The reason I always thought Beams would never be a top player is that he's not a great contested ball winner and is too slow and lacks the engine to be a receiver.

He definitely turned out a better player than I expected, but I think the above weaknesses are still significant. What's more they are becoming more significant as the game relies more and more on gut running. I always had Sidebottom clearly ahead of Beams for this reason and I'm very happy with what we were able to get for Beams.

Beam's greatest asset was/is his great finishing skills around goals. Fortunately for us, Crisp has turned out to be a much better goal kicker than we'd been led to believe. You'd have to say that with Crisp, De Goey and Greenwood, we're miles better off than had we retained Beams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: