Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Bachar Houli the new Adam Goodes?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Treloar was getting booed all night by Richmond supporters

Buckley used to routinely get booed by opposition supporters.

It doesn't count if you're white. Don't you know that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:13 pm

So Houli isn't "white", now?

Just keep digging.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm Italian and I don't consider myself white. So take that shovel and shove it up your a$&e.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm

So, accepting the first sentence of that as your provisional response, solely for argument's sake, just unpack for me what point you thought you were making with your previous post?
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:24 pm

That it's ok to boo people if they have white skin, but as soon as it's anyone who is'nt of Anglo Saxon decent it's racist. That's the point I'm making.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:42 pm

schuey07 wrote:
That it's ok to boo people if they have white skin, but as soon as it's anyone who is'nt of Anglo Saxon decent it's racist. That's the point I'm making.

because white people are in the majority in Australia and have the power. So when people boo people from a minority group, racism is the assumed reason.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

because white people are in the majority in Australia and have the power. So when people boo people from a minority group, racism is the assumed reason.

But it isn't the reason people boo, they have varying reasons. I can't understand the white guilt that Aussies have for themselves. Why do you think that we people from other countries immigrated here, because as surprising as it might be we are probably the least racist and most tolerant country in the world. The catch is that if you assimilate, rather than want to bite the hand that feeds you, life's pretty good.
donuts 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I would say Houli is a very honest player who doesn't go out of his way to make a fuss about things even if he is on the receiving end (which is unfortunate).
A couple of things I noticed last night with him was in the last quarter, he made some accidental contact to a collingoowd player (can't remember who). The contact wasn't high but had the ptoential to be. He immediately got up and offered a hand of acknowledgement to our player, tapped him on the shoulder. The other incident was when Grundy kicked the final goal, Houli was the closest player to Grundy and when the ball went through, instead of protesting that he touched the ball, which all players try to 'con' the umpire into (hell, I'd do it, even Cotchin who was not near it immediately put his hands together to say it was touched), Houli just put his head down.
The devout Muslims that I have taught in the past (in schools, and by extension, their families), are some of the most honest (and law abiding) citizens in our society.
Well that's my 2 cents anyway.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:57 pm

schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

But it isn't the reason people boo, they have varying reasons. I can't understand the white guilt that Aussies have for themselves. Why do you think that we people from other countries immigrated here, because as surprising as it might be we are probably the least racist and most tolerant country in the world. The catch is that if you assimilate, rather than want to bite the hand that feeds you, life's pretty good.

I agree 100%. I was explaining something that pisses me off too, not trying to justify it. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

donuts wrote:
I would say Houli is a very honest player who doesn't go out of his way to make a fuss about things even if he is on the receiving end (which is unfortunate).
A couple of things I noticed last night with him was in the last quarter, he made some accidental contact to a collingoowd player (can't remember who). The contact wasn't high but had the ptoential to be. He immediately got up and offered a hand of acknowledgement to our player, tapped him on the shoulder. The other incident was when Grundy kicked the final goal, Houli was the closest player to Grundy and when the ball went through, instead of protesting that he touched the ball, which all players try to 'con' the umpire into (hell, I'd do it, even Cotchin who was not near it immediately put his hands together to say it was touched), Houli just put his head down.
The devout Muslims that I have taught in the past (in schools, and by extension, their families), are some of the most honest (and law abiding) citizens in our society.
Well that's my 2 cents anyway.

I'd agree with that, I quite like Houli as a player. If he got booed last night it wasn't obvious from where I was whereas the booing of Treloar from the Richmond crowd was obvious and remarked upon in several news articles.

If some dipshit did call him a terrorist by all means drag them outside, making sure their head "accidentally" hits every possible wall along the way (just like the cops used to do in the old Russell St Station) and send them on their way. A bit of concussion might improve their thinking. Wink

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

I agree 100%. I was explaining something that pisses me off too, not trying to justify it. Wink

Sorry misunderstood your post. I get pissed off at how people who are "white" have this guilt, why?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:14 pm

schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

Sorry misunderstood your post. I get pissed off at how people who are "white" have this guilt, why?

Beats the shit out of me. I don't have any.

My grandfathers grandfather came here in chains from England.

I didn't shoot or poison any Aboriginals, I didn't colonise and subjugate other countries and cultures, I didn't capture Africans and sail them overseas and sell them as slaves. I don't hold any guilt for shit that people who weren't me did in the past, I have enough shit that i have done to deal with.

People are people, the past is the past. Learn the lessons from it and move forward don't live there.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

Beats the shit out of me. I don't have any.

My grandfathers grandfather came here in chains from England.

I didn't shoot or poison any Aboriginals, I didn't colonise and subjugate other countries and cultures, I didn't capture Africans and sail them overseas and sell them as slaves. I don't hold any guilt for shit that people who weren't me did in the past, I have enough shit that i have done to deal with.

People are people, the past is the past. Learn the lessons from it and move forward don't live there.

Your whole post sums up my thoughts exactly, but the last line really resonates with me the most. People are too focused on what's happened in the past. We all need to look forward and build a better future. You sound like the type of bloke that I would have a bear with at the pub.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:40 pm

I'd happily have a beer with you mate, dunno about a bear though, might wanna call Swoop for that. Wink Razz
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'd happily have a beer with you mate, dunno about a bear though, might wanna call Swoop for that. Wink Razz

Sorry spell check. Made me laugh. I find it hard typing on the iPad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: