Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Buckley 2016 Report Card - Round 2 v Richmond

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Please rate Nathan's performance 0-5 stars
***** 5 out of 5
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
**** 4 out of 5
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
*** 3 out of 5
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
** 2 out of 5
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
* 1 out of 5
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Donut - 0 out of 5
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some posts in this thread (and the Sack Buckley thread) prove that some people have no idea of what a coach does, tries to do, and has any control over, in any sport.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:25 am

Yep.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 am

I don't understand the question.

Are we rating the coach or the team? If the team plays well does the coach get the credit, or only if we play badly?

FWIW, I thought the team played average but Bucks made some master moves which helped win the game.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't understand the question.

Are we rating the coach or the team? If the team plays well does the coach get the credit, or only if we play badly?

FWIW, I thought the team played average but Bucks made some master moves which helped win the game.

You don't understand the question?
You can not be serious
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:32 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
Some posts in this thread (and the Sack Buckley thread) prove that some people have no idea of what a coach does, tries to do, and has any control over, in any sport.

That's a very broad statement, care to back it up with some facts.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Fair question and appreciate it deserves an answer, frankly, don't have the inclination to fully explain.

I will say that as a coach you are trying to get the best out of those under your charge. I personally coach individuals so can accept that a team environment differs (about the only time I can use personal experience is with a relay team). In any case all the instruction and prior advice can be 'forgotten' in competition. I have seen poor coaches get acknowledgent because they 'lucked' with talented arhletes. The coaching process is a long challenging exercise and your 'players' can make the coach look they have little idea even though you are providing the best training that can be provided.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:14 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Fair question and appreciate it deserves an answer, frankly, don't have the inclination to fully explain.

I will say that as a coach you are trying to get the best out of those under your charge. I personally coach individuals so can accept that a team environment differs (about the only time I can use personal experience is with a relay team). In any case all the instruction and prior advice can be 'forgotten' in competition. I have seen poor coaches get acknowledgent because they 'lucked' with talented arhletes. The coaching process is a long challenging exercise and your 'players' can make the coach look they have little idea even though you are providing the best training that can be provided.

True enough and I also appreciate the softer tone response. I also coach, people who play highly competitive FPS. I'm also huge history nut, and was in the army.. I also can't be bothered fully explaining...

So of course the cattle will always be a huge factor, there is only so much you can teach and levels certain individuals can reach. And everything you put in place can all go out the window on the point of contact if you aren't prepared (and sometimes even when you are). After a point though, its the fault of the coach for not seeking better cattle that will follow or learn methods and systems to prevent or limit this.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:23 pm

^ True, agree with your last point in essence.

Many here, including myself, talked about the additions to the list this season and that clearly it was positive. I'm not here defending Bucks, I don't know that he's the best person for the job. I don't know how to judge him specifically, win/loss?, ladder position at end of season?, etc.

I'm just not prepared to throw him, or any coach, under a bus after one week of this season.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

How the f*** are we meant to rate Buckley on a week to week basis? We have zero insight as to what is going on in the box, the week before, all the meetings etc. This thread is a bloody travesty and you should take it down. The sort of twisted logic behind your pathetic thread is like what American FOX news, Donald Trump and a shipload of Tony Abbott advisers would get together and come up with. Boo hiss
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
How the f*** are we meant to rate Buckley on a week to week basis? We have zero insight as to what is going on in the box, the week before, all the meetings etc. This thread is a bloody travesty and you should take it down. The sort of twisted logic behind your pathetic thread is like what American FOX news, Donald Trump and a shipload of Tony Abbott advisers would get together and come up with. Boo hiss

Well there is no f*#$#%ing chance that those who employ our $1million p/a coach will provide any sort of internal or external review.

You fine with that?
You fine with sliding down the ladder year after year with no trace of accountability?
You fine with ripping the soul out of the 2010 premiership side in the name of 'culture' and then being known as the cocaine kings after they are all gone.

Please sir tell me how you would like to best evaluate our coach?
It clearly isn't on ladder position.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:46 am

I am very concerned about the way the team has played (as distinct from either of the results) in rounds 1 and 2 and will, of course, become increasingly restless if the game style doesn't pick up over a few rounds.

At the same time, I am mindful that, every season, big calls are made too early, especially in the media (presumably, because they need to sell their product).

So, eg, I recall that there were calls for Thompson to be sacked in 2007 when, after 6 rounds, Geelong were 2 wins and 4 losses. As we know, they only lost 1 more game that season (by 5 points, to Port Adelaide) and won the GF by a record margin.

Again, West Coast were 1 and 2 after 3 rounds last year and made the Grand Final. Last year, Freo won the first 9 but fell away; Sydney were 1 and 3 after 4 rounds in 2013 and made the Grand Final - they won the first 3 last year and were being touted as likely to avenge their loss to Hawthorn but, in fact, were never really a serious challenger in 2015.

Last year, Hawthorn were 4 and 4 after 8 rounds and their mantle was said to be slipping (and, as it happens, that Collingwood might take their spot in the top 4). They also started the season 2 and 3 in 2012. They made the GF and were, of course, expected to win (although they choked in the big one against the Swans).

As for us, well, we were 5 and 1 last year and 5 and 2 in 2014 and we know how well that ended. We were 11 and 2 in 2013 but fell away from there. In fact, if there is a trend to discern in our recent seasons, it is that we raced out of the blocks in the last 3 years in a row to absolutely no useful effect.

We were 3 and 5 at the start of 2009 but made the prelim. We were 2 and 2 at the start of 2007 and made the prelim. 2003 particularly stands out in my mind. We won the first 3, lost the next 3 (including getting absolutely pumped on Anzac Day) and after 12 rounds were 6 and 6. At half-time in that 12th-round game against Hawthorn, I sat with my AFL Record drawing lines through the names of 25 players on the list that I was certain could not play in a Collingwood premiership. Nevertheless, Collingwood made the GF (and were favourites with many).

Sometimes, of course, an early trend is telling. Thus, in 2004 and 2005, we started the season 1 and 7 - and that proved to be a true indication of where we were at. The truer indication was that the team looked slow all over the field in early 2004 and simply could not stop mediocre teams from taking the ball end to end from their kick outs - repeatedly, week after week.

Thus, in short, I do not know what to make of rounds 1 and 2, 2016 for Collingwood (or, frankly, any other team). One might reasonably predict that Sydney is going to finish top 4 and may be the heir apparent, that Freo is on the road to oblivion, even that Essendon might be more competitive than people expected. But two games is too small a sample size - and the business end of the season is so far away that I don't think it is actually possible to discern any important trends from results or performances as the teams do little more than shake off their pre-season cobwebs.

Some people will make big calls abut who is going to win the flag and who is hopeless and, in the way of things, some of those people will be proved "correct" (it's like people dreaming about plane crashes - if enough people do it, there will someone who wakes up, finds there was a plane crash and thinks they had a premonition of disaster).

I don't like how the team is playing and didn't really enjoy the Richmond game at all (until the last 3 minutes) because I can't see our team kicking enough goals to win anything much this year. I think it is very reasonable to raise such questions, provided none of us think we can actually know the answers to any of them, yet.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 am

A WIN IS A WIN, he did well, we now move on.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:30 am

I voted for #2 only because of the win.
Anything above 2 is being too generous, I think...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I am very concerned about the way the team has played (as distinct from either of the results) in rounds 1 and 2 and will, of course, become increasingly restless if the game style doesn't pick up over a few rounds.....

Excellent post Pies4shaw. Not because of the stats but the story behind them.

If people care to take a look at the history on this site they will see that MM would have been metaphorically 'thrown under the bus' after 2004-05. So many were saying how he had 'lost the players', etc., etc. Of course in the end many were saying how it was an injustice that he was 'forced' to go.

Remember that Bucks was at Collingwood as an assistant in 2010/11. I wonder if people would see him differently now if he was the Senior coach then? You could not argue against the fact that he was partly responsible for the success in that period.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:25 pm

And what about you clowns who gave Bucks 5 out of 5 last week ?
It shows that a band of Nick's Buckley supporters have absolutely zero credibility, and will embarrass themselves in order to offer every last drop of hope. Clutching at straws much ?

Tania gave him 4 stars, and Jett only 1 star.

Its these sort of polls that show the bulk of the Nick's community is reasonable and fair.

It is the fanatical Buckley defenders that are quite the 'rare breed'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: