Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Same sex marriage not a slippery slope they said.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda get the gay adoption thing, but only on a quick thought basis. I don't agree with it, as I know several gay couples who will one day make excellant parents. Being a heterosexual couple does not automatically make you parent material, heck being the kids blood parent doesn't. Seriously, some people just should not be allowed within 100 metres of a child!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:10 pm

think positive wrote:
I kinda get the gay adoption thing, but only on a quick thought basis. I don't agree with it, as I know several gay couples who will one day make excellant parents. Being a heterosexual couple does not automatically make you parent material, heck being the kids blood parent doesn't. Seriously, some people just should not be allowed within 100 metres of a child!

Zero argument.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Hehe!

As for the rest, who cares? They want seven wives, they find seven dumb women, good (or bad) luck to em! As long as they ain't kids with no choice, every bastard should suffer equally.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Wokko wrote:
think positive wrote:
So we blaming gay people for this too?

I think it's the Muslims trying to piggy back on the Gay marriage thing. FWIW I don't have anything against 'gay marriage' whatever that is (have a big issue with Gay adoption, which is what this is leading into), but anyone who doesn't think that every deviant is going to try and hook their own barrow up to this one is delusional.

For one thing, it's not "the Muslims". It's one guy, and possibly a larger group of very conservative Muslims he represents. A great many Muslims don't agree with (and certainly have no interest in practicing) polygamy. So let's not make this out to be a thing that "the Muslims" are fighting for.

People can try to "hook their own barrow up" to whatever they like. In the 1970s, NAMBLA tried to piggyback on the gay rights movement in order to make sex with kids legal. Did it work? No, it didn't. Despite all the protestations about slippery slopes at the time, our society somehow managed to put a stop to homophobic discrimination without legalising child abuse. It's almost as if people were intelligent enough to consider arguments on their own merit and reject bad ideas accordingly...

As for gay adoption, you might have missed the boat on that one – it's been legal in several Australian states (WA, NSW and Tasmania) for years now. Victoria's same-sex adoption law is coming into effect in a matter of weeks, and Queensland just passed theirs last week. Which is ironic, considering that parenting is one of the primary arguments against same-sex marriage. Of course, like all such arguments, it's pretty thin; apart from misleading studies that derive conclusions from surveys of single parents, there is no data to suggest that children of same-sex couples are disadvantaged compared to children of heterosexual couples.

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:40 pm

I can not experience pain.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Don't exactly see a lot about children of single mothers being disadvantaged either, but the outcomes of those kids are horrendous (I'm one of them). Society moved to a monogamous model of mother, father and children because it led to the best outcomes for society. I know that the left love to mess with Western cultural institutions but we've built the most advanced and successful society based on those cultural norms.

Whatever, I've contented myself with watching the world burn.

And if a man has 7 wives, then there are 6 men out there with no hope of settling down into a productive life. Men with a wife and children are incentivised to work and pay taxes. If you take that away you breed either extremists or dropouts. Neither are good for society. We DO NOT want polygamy.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:41 pm

Actually, I thought it was fairly well known that kids from single parent or divorced backgrounds tend to face greater challenges and worse outcomes (which is not to in any way disrespect the incredible work that single mothers and fathers do or the fact that many kids from those structures turn out far better than many kids with two parents – this is about law of averages).

It's safe to say that, ideally, two parents are better than one. I don't think it's established at all, on the other hand, that a mother and father are better than two fathers or two mothers. And there have been studies on this.

As for old-fashioned polygamy of some guy and his harem, I expect most people would share your distaste with the idea (I don't really care as long as it can be established that the participants are consenting and not coerced). What I have a little more time for is the modern idea of polyamory, where people can either have concurrent or group relationships of various gender combinations. While I probably wouldn't ever agree with the idea of group marriages, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of people having more than one marriage at a time (so long as it stays as a contract between two individuals – i.e. A can marry B, B can marry C and C can marry A, but not A, B and C entering the one marriage together, if that distinction makes any sense). But I'm not under the illusion that that's anywhere near a majority view.

Oh, and by the way...

Wokko wrote:
Whatever, I've contented myself with watching the world burn

I think I'm beginning to understand your support for Donald Trump. Wink Cool

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:47 pm

By the way, anyone who wants to know more about how the Muslim world sees polygamy might be interested in this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygyny_in_Islam

Basically, the situation (apart from the few Muslim majority countries where it is banned outright) is that it's tolerated but generally frowned upon.

Quote:
Most modern Muslims view the practice of polygyny as allowed, but unusual and not recommended...

Turkey was the first Muslim country to legally ban polygyny in 1926. This decision was not based on religious reasons, but rather was an entirely secular ban. Tunisia was the next country to ban polygyny through legislation passed in 1956 and restated in 1964. Unlike Turkey, Tunisia banned polygyny on religious grounds, citing two main reasons. First, the Quran limited the practice of polygyny, thus it did not support the practice and clearly intended for the practice to be eliminated over time. Second, the Quran demands equal treatment of all wives in a polygynous marriage, which is impossible, thus making the practice illegal.

Some countries, including India, Iran, Iraq, Bangladesh, Algeria, Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, and Kuwait, allow women to include a clause prohibiting polygyny in marriage contracts. Other countries, such as Iran and Pakistan, require that a man get permission to take a second wife from his first wife, and then show the court proof of his first wife's consent.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:25 am

David wrote:
By the way, anyone who wants to know more about how the Muslim world sees polygamy might be interested in this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygyny_in_Islam

Basically, the situation (apart from the few Muslim majority countries where it is banned outright) is that it's tolerated but generally frowned upon.

Quote:
Most modern Muslims view the practice of polygyny as allowed, but unusual and not recommended...

Turkey was the first Muslim country to legally ban polygyny in 1926. This decision was not based on religious reasons, but rather was an entirely secular ban. Tunisia was the next country to ban polygyny through legislation passed in 1956 and restated in 1964. Unlike Turkey, Tunisia banned polygyny on religious grounds, citing two main reasons. First, the Quran limited the practice of polygyny, thus it did not support the practice and clearly intended for the practice to be eliminated over time. Second, the Quran demands equal treatment of all wives in a polygynous marriage, which is impossible, thus making the practice illegal.

Some countries, including India, Iran, Iraq, Bangladesh, Algeria, Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, and Kuwait, allow women to include a clause prohibiting polygyny in marriage contracts. Other countries, such as Iran and Pakistan, require that a man get permission to take a second wife from his first wife, and then show the court proof of his first wife's consent.

Interesting

But I bet that last requirement can be quite deadly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: