Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I love Sam Murray.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
The last player we had who played like that was Harry O'Brien-that's what he was called then. He would get the ball and run like crazy. It was wonderful to watch.

Correct.
I said in the game day thread it was strange to see run and carry instead of chip chip chip.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 am

Harrysz wrote:
The last player we had who played like that was Harry O'Brien-that's what he was called then. He would get the ball and run like crazy. It was wonderful to watch.

Correct.
I said in the game day thread it was strange to see run and carry instead of chip chip chip.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:49 pm

E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’m with you on this. In the off season posts when everyone was bemoaning our lack of talls, I was banging on about our lack of run and carry HBs in the same threads.
These guys are what’s required in the modern game. They are an opposition defenders nightmare. They break the zones and unleash with the chaos kick that all defenders hate.
He’s also played two games of AFL footy. He won’t get any worse from here.

I would love to dig out all those negative posts when we first traded him into the club. Funnily enough, I would doubt if there was one poster who saw him play live.
Doubt if he will ever be AA but I reckon he has a great future with the Pies.

Great calls! We all know All Australian selections are “reputational” more than “actual” performances. Am sure Sam shall make the odd blunder taking the game on but nowhere near the amount that Maynard does.

Its funny. Maynard used to take the game on but then he made a few clangers and everyone got down on him. We dont see any of that flair from him anymore.

I wonder whether the fear of getting abused for mistakes has squashed him as a player.......

In the NBA, you will never hear a coach punish results. They always judge decisions. In other words, if its a good shot (and you are a good shooter), you don't complain that they miss a shot. you need your player taking the next shot even if he missed his 4 previous. Its very much psychological. Dont want the last shot in their head when they take the next one. If you want a player to take a chance, you cant crucify him for taking a chance and failing. We do that to our forwards and to our creative payers (although never during the initial honeymoon period).

I think its really funny that none of you pointed out the fact that on at least two occasions, Murray took the game on and then either hand balled it or kicked it directly to the oppositions (and yet you speak of Maynard like his attack and line breaking is a liability if he dares make even one mistake in a game). Based on our history with Maynard and others, that criticism of Murray will start sometime soon and we should see the flair start to leave Murray's game by round 15!

You’re obviously a devout Maynard man and good on you for being a loyal alumni after his 55 matches. Maynard has seemingly gone back into his shell and not continued on with his round 23 form last year against the Demons.

I have a theory in life and that is fundamentally “what you see us what you get”. Directing that into the footy landscape, it means that the flaws and strengths in Maynard’s game that existed 3 seasons ago are still fundamentally the same. He is aggressive and solid kick, however he commits the most heinous clangers and decisions that invariably result in opposition goals.
Insofar as Murray is concerned, yes it is a small sample size so far of just 2 games, however there is an instinctive manner, ability and self-confidence that is instilled into his game that should be maintained. That’s what I’m excited to see prosper and not have that flair :coached out of him”!

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 pm

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I’m with you on this. In the off season posts when everyone was bemoaning our lack of talls, I was banging on about our lack of run and carry HBs in the same threads.
These guys are what’s required in the modern game. They are an opposition defenders nightmare. They break the zones and unleash with the chaos kick that all defenders hate.

I would love to dig out all those negative posts when we first traded him into the club. Funnily enough, I would doubt if there was one poster who saw him play live.

Great calls! We all know All Australian selections are “reputational” more than “actual” performances. Am sure Sam shall make the odd blunder taking the game on but nowhere near the amount that Maynard does.

Its funny. Maynard used to take the game on but then he made a few clangers and everyone got down on him. We dont see any of that flair from him anymore.

I wonder whether the fear of getting abused for mistakes has squashed him as a player.......

In the NBA, you will never hear a coach punish results. They always judge decisions. In other words, if its a good shot (and you are a good shooter), you don't complain that they miss a shot. you need your player taking the next shot even if he missed his 4 previous. Its very much psychological. Dont want the last shot in their head when they take the next one. If you want a player to take a chance, you cant crucify him for taking a chance and failing. We do that to our forwards and to our creative payers (although never during the initial honeymoon period).

I think its really funny that none of you pointed out the fact that on at least two occasions, Murray took the game on and then either hand balled it or kicked it directly to the oppositions (and yet you speak of Maynard like his attack and line breaking is a liability if he dares make even one mistake in a game). Based on our history with Maynard and others, that criticism of Murray will start sometime soon and we should see the flair start to leave Murray's game by round 15!

You’re obviously a devout Maynard man and good on you for being a loyal alumni after his 55 matches. Maynard has seemingly gone back into his shell and not continued on with his round 23 form last year against the Demons.

I have a theory in life and that is fundamentally “what you see us what you get”. Directing that into the footy landscape, it means that the flaws and strengths in Maynard’s game that existed 3 seasons ago are still fundamentally the same. He is aggressive and solid kick, however he commits the most heinous clangers and decisions that invariably result in opposition goals.
Insofar as Murray is concerned, yes it is a small sample size so far of just 2 games, however there is an instinctive manner, ability and self-confidence that is instilled into his game that should be maintained. That’s what I’m excited to see prosper and not have that flair :coached out of him”!

no, I'm not a big Maynard fan. In fact i was a late convert because all i saw early on were his errors. It was later i saw his ability to gain yards and create real scoring chances with his aggressive and penetrating play (as opposed to forward entries). Its like what i am seeing in Murray.

I dont know what has happened to Maynards attacking flair, but i will say that he hasnt really made any errors this year.

Murray has set the world on fire with his flair (and i am a huge fan of his), but has made a bunch of Maynard like clangers (or simply doing things without a plan that ends badly).

The point i was trying to make is that we shouldn't maybe be so quick to criticize failure if it leads to crushing brilliance. We'll see if Murray aggressiveness survives the goal he will surely give up at some ooint.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:32 pm

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I have a theory in life and that is fundamentally “what you see is what you get”. Directing that into the footy landscape, it means that the flaws and strengths in Maynard’s game that existed 3 seasons ago are still fundamentally the same. He is aggressive and solid kick, however he commits the most heinous clangers and decisions that invariably result in opposition goals.
Insofar as Murray is concerned, yes it is a small sample size so far of just 2 games, however there is an instinctive manner, ability and self-confidence that is instilled into his game that should be maintained. That’s what I’m excited to see prosper and not have that flair coached out of him”!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:17 pm

E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

no, I'm not a big Maynard fan. In fact i was a late convert because all i saw early on were his errors. It was later i saw his ability to gain yards and create real scoring chances with his aggressive and penetrating play (as opposed to forward entries). Its like what i am seeing in Murray.

I dont know what has happened to Maynards attacking flair, but i will say that he hasnt really made any errors this year.

Murray has set the world on fire with his flair (and i am a huge fan of his), but has made a bunch of Maynard like clangers (or simply doing things without a plan that ends badly).

The point i was trying to make is that we shouldn't maybe be so quick to criticize failure if it leads to crushing brilliance. We'll see if Murray aggressiveness survives the goal he will surely give up at some ooint.

If most of Murray’s errors occur well outside the defensive 50 metre line, I can live with that ( as in a bit of a trademark run and then a 50 metre kick that the opposition mop up ) It’s the errors and turnovers that occur INSIDE your own defensive 50 that kill the team and the coach.
He’s got plenty of improving to do but he has all the tools for the modern HBF.
That’s a good start.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am

Ok, I've been a little cautious and subdued with Murray so far but boy, he's really starting to excite me as a player. Like others have noted, much in the same way Harry O used to.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 am

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Your last line is exactly what I said to junior on the way home.
My new favourite player. He is so fast, and quick of the mark too, just watching the replay on Foxtel right now, gees he just flies through the field, dodge dodge, bounce!

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:11 am

Harrysz wrote:

Pacey run off half back and a chaos ball forward? The last player we had that did that was Ben Sinclair

Stuff how people got stuck into Maynard. Sinkers got it heaps worse, even after straightening up his kicking
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 am

I loved it when he saw the two blues closing on each side, gave them a look of cursory dismissal and just charged through the middle of them. Such confidence is great to see in a youngster
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

I hope all the idiots that potted his recruitment are man enough to admit that they don’t know what they are talking about and Hine was on the money ..... again.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 pm

I loved his game. I heard him speaking on the radio this morning, he said he had some licence to try to run and create.

I also love how, when he can steady, he can spear the ball 50 metres. No chaos ball but a spearing pass. The kid is a goodun.

Nash Rising 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
I hope all the idiots that potted his recruitment are man enough to admit that they don’t know what they are talking about and Hine was on the money ..... again.

He will end up being a very cheap buy
E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Nash Rising wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:

He will end up being a very cheap buy

I thought his recruitment showed that Nathan Buckley couldn't coach and that the club was a joke for parting with a second round draft pick for this kid? Shall I play back some of the posts for you?

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Time for Maynard to come out of his shell , bust lines kick long
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: