Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL falls asleep

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
It's many years since Collingwood had such a full array of new coaches and new players and I'd like some update's on how all the new personnel are gelling and developing. For me, information about this would be illuminating and not just "journalists clutching at straws". Some agree with me about this and some don't. That's fine. That's what this bulletin board is all about.

David (of free Julian Assange fame) clearly isn't much interested in this stuff (at least for the moment) and that's fine too. However, his smarmy condescending suggestions are uncalled for.

Fair enough! I wasn't intending to have a crack at you. All I'm trying to say is that the off-season is the off-season; in America, I suspect there's no such concept and you're able to get NFL and NBA minutiae whenever you like. I think it's better that things aren't like that here. Also, while I get that you'd like to know how things are going behind the scenes, I think it's reasonable to expect that a lot of that stuff is going to be deliberately kept in-house anyway. And there's no chance that collingwoodfc.com.au is going to publish anything the club doesn't want you to know about ...

A more specific problem that I think you rightly point out is that there's no division between AFL men's and AFL women's news on the site – if you click through to "news" you can find a separate women's section, but I guess because the men's team is generally considered the default, there's no section where you can filter out everything else. So you get the news about Quaynor signing a new deal at the top, and then need to scroll down past 15 AFLW stories before you get to the 24 January article about Mason Cox's glasses. Someone should probably have a word to the site developers about that.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:45 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

By all means have a section of our club's website devoted to women's footy, but it should always be secondary to information about the Collingwood Football Club.

mugway05 wrote:
I whole heartedly agree. And the sensationalism on the AFL website gets me every time. “Star Pie does ACL”. Heart goes into mouth, only to open the article and see it’s about an AFLW player.
The main feed should be about the Mens news. There should be a different tab for the womens news. .......

Yes, I'd also like the mens new to be separate from the womans.
It would make it easy for people to focus on the stories they're interested in.
How about separate competitions, so separate web sites?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:07 pm

AFLW isn't sustainable as a separate competition. I don't think it'll ever be like the WTA or LPGA and be strong enough to stand alongside the men's equivalent.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:23 pm

90 nice wrote:
AFL are a lefty woke organisation

We obviously have very different definitions of woke and lefty

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

Thanks David.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:57 pm

I live up here on the Sunshine Coast and this year Maroochydore is the home ground of the AFLW Lions and this week they played our girls, up here. I donned the jumper, ‘22. Cap and scarf and headed over. To say our girls are terrible is an understatement and I’m now thankful for the experience as it will be the one and only $10 the AFLW will ever get out of me. Stimulating it is NOT. Watching a good under 16 boys game is far better by far.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 pm

My purpose is this post wasn't to trash the AFLW game. I understand the objective and it's a noble one. No doubt the standard will improve over the years but that's not my point. I want to know how our club is progressing with the new coaches and the young players. At present when I look at Newspapers or websites I'm none the wiser. It's frustrating and annoying.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 pm

Hi I was just wondering when you are going to update the player profiles on the official AFL site. There are no photos of the new players and no information on them. Could you also put more information about all the players in general, eg past player history or this player plays like..... or even player question and answer time. I would hope there is a media person employed by the club that can give supporters some basic daily or weekly information to keep us engaged. Thankyou🙂

This is what I asked on the official Collingwood fc messenger , anyone can find it and I suggest we bombard it as a way of suggesting that we as supporters are actually missing the odd good article on how the club/players/coaches are going. No need to know about anything secretive or scandalous, just gives us something interesting to read that isnt rumours or opinions from people outside the club....

Totally agree with HarrysZ and the general sentiment of this thread and its definitely not about bagging the AFL women...and if you think it is...go fu&* yourself.

This is about a simple request to have some ( not alot ) just some info on our club.
I might even ring the club and ask why there isnt a media person stoking the fire...and as has been mentioned will have an influence on membership/merchandise sales etc.

I used the messenger service that is connected with Facebook or whatever its called these days, and I later asked several times whether there were media person/people working from home even.... no response but my messages were opened by someone....so it might be worth persisting.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 am

90 nice wrote:

The AFL is actually run by McLachlan, who comes from an old Adelaide monied and hard right-wing background, and whose old man (as head of the National Farmers Federation) was a chief conspirator in trying to smash the Maritime Union back in 1998. He is a National or Liberal Party man, through and through.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:20 am

There is a History & Heritage tab on the website with info on club history and links to Collingwood Forever site with past player bios etc.

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 am

90 nice wrote:

FFS, that is not based on reality dude. They are bloody right wing as they come and have been for the greater part of their entire existence. Lefty woke my arse 😂

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:56 am

This has NOTHING to do with politics. I don't care if the AFL and/or Gill are left wing, right wing or wingless. Politics has no place on this bulletin board and certainly has no place in the issue I complained of.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Harrysz wrote:
This has NOTHING to do with politics. I don't care if the AFL and/or Gill are left wing, right wing or wingless. Politics has no place on this bulletin board and certainly has no place in the issue I complained of.

Agree. Politics and political messages should be given the heave-ho.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 pm

[quote="magpieazza"]Hi I was just wondering when you are going to update the player profiles on the official AFL site. There are no photos of the new players and no information on them. Could you also put more information about all the players in general, eg past player history or this player plays like..... or even player question and answer time. I would hope there is a media person employed by the club that can give supporters some basic daily or weekly information to keep us engaged. Thankyou🙂

A really clear, direct, well written request. 👏

It's unbelievable that a club awash with dollars cannot maintain an engaging, informative, current section on our AFL players, even if they are only in pre-season mode.
Okay, if the AFL has directed that the prime real estate on the website must be allocated to the women, at this point in time, there's still no excuse for completely neglecting the AFL side of things. Mad
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:22 pm

Pyrenes pie, that sums up my complaint neatly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: