Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leadership Group 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quincy wrote:
with Pendles saying we hope he stays a bit longer, you think he may go elsehwhere down the track even if he stays for a couple more years.

You should get a job at SEN, that's Kane Cornes-level

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:30 am
Post subject: Re: Leadership Group 2022Reply with quote

robevpau1 wrote:
With the recent appointment of Scott Pendlebury as captain for a ninth consecutive season, the Collingwood board ratified the appointments of a further three leaders last night.

Taylor Adams, Jeremy Howe and Darcy Moore will support Pendlebury as vice-captains.

This will be Adams’ seventh season in the leadership group, whilst Howe prepares for his fifth.

No real surprises here
Adams Moore are leaders for future have been for some time
I think Howe has been a good support for Pendles over his years at the club
I thought they may have added someone like Maynard or crisp to the mix that next generation down from adams Pendles Howe
I like this group personally all certain best 22 players all best options in there position and all vocal among the group and have high moral fabric and aren’t likely to be high maintenance off the field for the club
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 am

One thing I’d like to make comment on was the easy way Craig Mc Rae can
present things

Just a simple down to earth way. No talking about “our brand” just saying
Let’s get in to it

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:16 am

Having three vice-captains is probably necessary - unless, of course, they're content that those 3 can make a leadership contribution whether or not they are on the park. In the last 4 seasons, Moore's played just 55 of a possible 91 Collingwood games, Adams has played 68 (the same as the perennially under-prepared De Goey) and Howe 54. For comparison, Pendlebury played 82 of them and Grundy played 89.

Ben Reid is a good example of why continuity matters. He had a brittle body, as we know, but in his peak years he solidified the backline by getting on the park for 87 games in 4 seasons. It's no accident that the years he got on the park consistently were 2010 to 2013.

To put this in stark family focus - Peter Moore had played 172 games for Collingwood, won a Brownlow, been captain of the Club and finished with us, all well before he turned 26. Between 1976 (Peter was barely 19 when the season started) and 1981 (that is, including the years when Collingwood was ultra-competitive from 1977 to 1981), he played 21, 22, 24, 25, 25 and 24 games. Darcy turned 26 last month and has managed just 102 games and reached 20 in a season just once (5 years ago).

Absent an extraordinary turnaround in their fitness profiles, I don't think you can build a team around these 3.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:32 am

^ ^ ^

Can’t argue with the numbers and it’s a valid point but I’m hopeful in the case of both Moore and Howe, their latest extended absence was on the back of collision, impact type injuries rather than ongoing soft tissue issues. Howe has been durable but the PCL surgery was extended when the tendon graft formed scar tissue. Moore is still a bit of wait and see but at least he had seemed to have grown out of his soft tissue issues leading up to his PCL. We had a very good year for soft tissue management in 2021, so introducing a new fitness guru in 2022 will also impact each individuals training program ( hopefully for the better ) Adams is probably a lost cause when it comes to injuries. He just finds ways to get injured, so I don’t see that changing.

I think durability is one of the most understated qualities in a players career. It’s not easy coming up time and time again every week and players like Pendlebury, Crisp, Sidey and Grundy don’t get recognised enough for their durability and longevity when it comes to any discussions about them.
Quincy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Having three vice-captains is probably necessary - unless, of course, they're content that those 3 can make a leadership contribution whether or not they are on the park. In the last 4 seasons, Moore's played just 55 of a possible 91 Collingwood games, Adams has played 68 (the same as the perennially under-prepared De Goey) and Howe 54. For comparison, Pendlebury played 82 of them and Grundy played 89.

Ben Reid is a good example of why continuity matters. He had a brittle body, as we know, but in his peak years he solidified the backline by getting on the park for 87 games in 4 seasons. It's no accident that the years he got on the park consistently were 2010 to 2013.

To put this in stark family focus - Peter Moore had played 172 games for Collingwood, won a Brownlow, been captain of the Club and finished with us, all well before he turned 26. Between 1976 (Peter was barely 19 when the season started) and 1981 (that is, including the years when Collingwood was ultra-competitive from 1977 to 1981), he played 21, 22, 24, 25, 25 and 24 games. Darcy turned 26 last month and has managed just 102 games and reached 20 in a season just once (5 years ago).

Absent an extraordinary turnaround in their fitness profiles, I don't think you can build a team around these 3.

Agree with the injuries, one point about Peter Moore though, he played his first game for the Pies when he was 17 in 1974.
Quincy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:01 pm

Also with Howe, I think he was unlucky. In 2020 it was a collision injury sustained against the Giants which meant an operation which involved his hamstring too making him more vulnerable maybe to hammy injuries.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:14 pm

#26 wrote:
One leader too many. I preferred the old school way of: Captain, Vice Captain & Deputy Vice Captain. Leadership group sounds to corporate and wanky to me.

Yes, have to agree.

You always have 'leaders' in footy sides who don't need a title, they just do it naturally. What's the point of naming a leadership team?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I don’t think this is about building a team around 3 or 4 players at all and I don’t think the numbers stated actually entered into the clubs thinking when selecting the leadership group nor there team mates who also voted
It’s more about character, man management, leading younger players in positive habits and value to the team
All 4 will be selected every game when fit (let’s hope there fit for the entire season)
Some other older players won’t have that luxury under this coach and his directive of developing youth
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:44 pm

^ Well in 2021, they managed 35 games between them out of a possible 66, so, by all means, hope away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: