Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Forget ladder position this year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Just finish as high as we can.

Hate tanking. It only breeds a losing culture.

Yeah. This thread is crap. If we give up ladder position we spend longer down the bottom and the longer we spend climbing back up again. We fight for every win - pure and simple. So we get a higher draft pick the lower we spend down the bottom. That rewards failure and mediocrity. It's not the Collingwood way. We leave that for the Melbournes and Carltons to tank and spend a decade or two at the bottom before they rise again. I'm expecting at least 10th this year and a finals appearance next year. Anything less is a total admission of failure at this club.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Just finish as high as we can.

Hate tanking. It only breeds a losing culture.

Yeah. This thread is crap. If we give up ladder position we spend longer down the bottom and the longer we spend climbing back up again. We fight for every win - pure and simple. So we get a higher draft pick the lower we spend down the bottom. That rewards failure and mediocrity. It's not the Collingwood way. We leave that for the Melbournes and Carltons to tank and spend a decade or two at the bottom before they rise again. I'm expecting at least 10th this year and a finals appearance next year. Anything less is a total admission of failure at this club.

I'm with you MBFC, except I reckon we might make the 8 this year. Go Pies!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:06 am

There's still plenty of opportunity in that side for young talent, even if some of the players we keep in for physical maturity and structure's sake are on borrowed time. I reckon the balance has been about right so far, though I do get the impatience.

Living in the UK and following the Premier League you do realise how painfully long team rebuilds can be in the AFL, although at least the AFL is a genuine competition where virtually every team is a potential contender.

Our problem has been the amount of treading water. This ought to be our second major transformation since MM, not our first. Too many years of soft decisions. It's a sunk cost now, though.

Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:25 am

We need a key forward and another gun mid asap...
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:59 am

pietillidie wrote:
There's still plenty of opportunity in that side for young talent, even if some of the players we keep in for physical maturity and structure's sake are on borrowed time. I reckon the balance has been about right so far, though I do get the impatience.

Living in the UK and following the Premier League you do realise how painfully long team rebuilds can be in the AFL, although at least the AFL is a genuine competition where virtually every team is a potential contender.

Our problem has been the amount of treading water. This ought to be our second major transformation since MM, not our first. Too many years of soft decisions. It's a sunk cost now, though.

Unless we bottom out and pick up a gun mid and a gun KPP, this rebuild will also fall short. Its no coincidence that Melbourne scooped up tonnes of draft picks 5-8 years ago and now they are the benchmark of the comp.

a guy like Petracca isn't available in the second round! Although to their credit they went and bought their two defensive pillars and their full forward?

Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm

E wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Unless we bottom out and pick up a gun mid and a gun KPP, this rebuild will also fall short. Its no coincidence that Melbourne scooped up tonnes of draft picks 5-8 years ago and now they are the benchmark of the comp.

a guy like Petracca isn't available in the second round! Although to their credit they went and bought their two defensive pillars and their full forward?

Precisely

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm

Average age of teams from the W/end.

Fair to say we need to ensure this comes down if this is supposed to be a development season.

Collingwood 26yr 7mth
Gold Coast 25yr 4mth
Carlton 24yr 11mth
Adelaide 24yr 10mth
Hawthorn 24yr 10mth
Essendon 24yr 9mth
North Melbourne 24yr 8mth
Sydney 24yr 5mth
Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:30 pm

BBHS wrote:
Average age of teams from the W/end.

Fair to say we need to ensure this comes down if this is supposed to be a development season.

Collingwood 26yr 7mth
Gold Coast 25yr 4mth
Carlton 24yr 11mth
Adelaide 24yr 10mth
Hawthorn 24yr 10mth
Essendon 24yr 9mth
North Melbourne 24yr 8mth
Sydney 24yr 5mth

Pies in disguise... we aren't playing many kids

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:33 pm

What's the mean age, rather than the average?

(Not, not the teenage one, the statistical one. (14-17 btw))
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:14 pm

And what does average age (or even the median) tell you? It might say more about the list than the intent. We know he would be playing McCreery, Ginnivan and Kreuger, and most people seem to expect Poulter and a couple of others to get a run. We know there are youngsters who aren't quite there yet, and a dearth of big men and big bodies to play in certain positions.

Admittedly, I'm just getting up to speed with the list again, but I'm not convinced the average age of a team with a new coach tells you much, especially this early in a season.

What if he intends on bringing the age down but over the course of the season? What if he needs a minimum structure in place to develop a game plan? What if there are certain metrics expected of each player and position and they just haven't been met? What if he's trying to change the culture of the team and handing out guernseys to those who don't meet certain criteria aren't part of that? What if he already has a sense of how much further the list needs to change? What if injuries force his hand regardless? Etc.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:22 pm

I didn’t post this to encourage tanking. What I’m saying is don’t judge our development and where we’ll be in the next 2-3 years on this year’s ladder position. I’ve seen so much positives this year despite the losses, and it won’t be an indicator of where we’ll be in 2023. It’s clear a month into the season that we’re better than where we currently sit on the ladder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: