Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

List Management / Salary Cap

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel back in time to 2020 - Collingwood decides the best offer to put to Grundy is 800K per year for 5 years.

What would have been the consequences?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
If we lose Grundy and Henry, but gain McStay, Hill, Frampton, Mitchell & Fiorini then we are clearly in a better position than what we were in 2022.

I hope you are right mate. However, I don't think it's as clear as that. Only time will tell.

Maybe like Liverpool Rudey, trying to spread the money as opposed to going all in on superstars?
Thought we'd roll them at Highbury... Crying or Very sad

Tru dat. Crying or Very sad
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:53 am

Pies2016 wrote:
They’re simply realigning a list that is horribly out of balance and in order to do that quickly, something had to give.
By the end of this trade period, we will have added size, depth, speed, forward pressure, experience and quite possibly leadership into the 2022 group. We’re not adding quality but you don’t solve all your problems during one off season. The clubs decision comes largely at the expense of the ( one time ) best ruckman in the comp. How people choose to view that trade off is entirely up to the individual but Collingwood still winning without Grundy ultimately made it an easier decision to move him on. Had he either been on less money and / or we couldn’t win without him, Grundy wouldn’t be in trade conversations.
We also shouldn’t make judgement too early either ( 😂 ) Objectively, we will need a couple years to view the output of those who have come in versus the impact Grundy has elsewhere. We may also yet land the cherry on top in 12 months time and should that occur, it will also has been largely on the back of a decision that was made 12 months earlier.
I remain open minded but I know one thing, even IF Grundy returned to his career best form at Collingwood, it would all stand for very little should we incur a few key injuries to our current core group.

Absolutely everything you're saying, with the proviso that this isn't all Grundy's doing. It merely reflects list requirements and staying under the salary cap. Anyone saying we're a better team without Grundy playing in it doesn't know what they're talking about. We won without him. In my opinion we would have won better with him in the team. It's no reflection on Cox's playing skills that Grundy is a better ruckman than Cox. I'd like to keep him. I'm sure other Collingwood supporters would like to keep him. However we're so short of key defenders and key forwards we have to make sacrifices to make us better and Grundy falls out of the equation of keeping, which actually is Melbourne's good fortune.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:12 pm

We will lose Grundy, but retain Henry, I reckon.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:14 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Maybe like Liverpool Rudey, trying to spread the money as opposed to going all in on superstars?
Thought we'd roll them at Highbury... Crying or Very sad

Highbury shut down in 2006. You must mean the Emirates Stadium? Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:10 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Travel back in time to 2020 - Collingwood decides the best offer to put to Grundy is 800K per year for 5 years.

That would have been the preferred option.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:57 pm

List and contract management is only getting more complicated now that players are seeing how salary cap dumping can be a consequence of signing long term deals.

Jack Bowes is, as I read it, in a very similar position to Treloar. He signed a contract then agreed to change it to back end payments to help out a club he wanted to stay at, then when it comes to the pointy end he's pushed out.

I'll be expecting player managers to in future avoid backending contracts and push to front ending them. We'll see how the system copes with that.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:55 pm

How about neither? This backending and frontloading is just manipulation.

If it’s one thing we should take from American sports it’s the contracts they have in the NBA. Once they’re done they’re done - no smoothing out over multiple years etc

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

But Grundy wouldn’t have taken it…
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:12 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

But we would have got two firsts in return

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:51 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

That was the bargaining position; would he have walked ? In terms of the club they could have drawn the line & say it’s costing us too much to keep you. His reputation would have taken a beating. The compensation might have been significant had he walked.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:45 pm

2 first round draft picks and a big chunk of cap space available the same year Cameron got traded…

Obviously Cameron was committed to the Geelong lifestyle, but we’d at least have been in the hunt. Grundys deal killed any future recruiting for 7 years.

Plus if we ad any players to the side that are best 22 and fill holes then we are instantly better than this year as we are losing no one who got us to a PF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: