Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A defining cultural moment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concede that 2022 was his best year but the thing you're all ignoring for mine is the fact this guy has not finished within a mile of our B&F. Just no where near it. Hot and cold.
"Match Winner" some of the time. He's not Dusty in his prime. No where near it.
If he stays and turns into that i'll be as wrapped as anyone, but gun to my head, place a bet right now? He'll fall short based on all the current evidence.
Just not worth the risk anymore (plus the ADHD thing really grinds me per my other posts in other threads).

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

It's a good debate to have and ultimately there may be no right or wrong answer however this is as far removed from the Treloar debacle as possible. In 2020, Ned Guy either listened too much to Eddie and Geoff Walsh or didn't invest in a $7 calculator, thus the club forcing a loyal player out. In Jordan's case, ask yourself this question:

" Why does he require behavioral clauses"?

Answer: because he stuffs up

Cut your losses now Pies.

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:22 pm

He probably does want to stay BUT through contractual negotiation, also wants to limit the damage his next antic will cause!... to himself.
Fair enough to.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:31 pm

That’s a cop out. He stuffs up. So do other players. If it’s bad enough, the AFL steps in and suspends/deregisters the player.

Stengle was effectively sacked by 2 clubs. All Australian this year because Geelong backed their system and culture. No additional contract clauses required.

No he’s not Dusty. No one is Dusty. He is the closest on our list though. And he’s not asking to be paid like Dusty either. He’s asking for $200K less than our ruckman who’s on a million a year.

This is about winning premierships. High performing cultures do not require everyone to be an angel. We didn’t sack Swanny and he got himself into serious trouble on occasion. History is littered with premiership winning players who were “ratbags” off the field

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Everyone is crying out for players like Hawkins who sacrifice dollars for team success. We actually have one in our midst and are trying to push him out the door.

SMH

Haff Capricorn

Pick a top 10 midfielder, top 20. I would take them all before JDG on that money. Any of them.
Deja Vu 

Do they want to play for Collingwood? Kind of an issue if they don’t
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:50 pm

^^^^

If he can’t be true to himself, how can he be true to anyone else? I think the club needs to make an informed decision on a transparent and known risk, is JDG’s talent as a footballer worth more to the club than his confirmed acting out behaviours? Does the club need this thorn in its side when it’s doing everything else so well to be close to winning a flag? Do the other players need this constant distraction? Is it tempting to chuck the baby out with the bath water in this case to St. Kilda? Will the club and fans cope if JDG plays up to his fullest potential and helps the Saints to their first flag since 1966? If this happened, would it be just weird that Collingwood was somehow involved with them gaining their two flag wins? In that case do we honour the vagaries of football life or curse the Universe for letting that happen? So many questions and so many answers but will the ultimate inevitable result bring tidings of joy or gnashing of the few teeth Collingwood fans have left?

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Last comment on this and then I’ll shut up.

The coach wants him. His teammates want him. So it’s not like he’s bad for team morale.

3 ingredients go into winning premierships - talent, game style and availability.

Talent is the list build. That’s Wright’s job. Deliver the best possible list year on year, understanding that some lists will take a few years to reach their prime.

Availability is the job of the High Performance/Fitness team.

Game style is the coaches job and includes everything from motivation to execution. Fly has proven exceptional at this.

Wright and the footy department need to hold up their end of the bargain and provide the best list possible. That includes DeGoey by every definition.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:56 pm

Stengle cost $100,000 and a 12 month deal with no trade capital required. Hardly a comparison.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Just to be clear - I want JDG to stay!
The Club can't have it all their way,.. neither can he.
Any clauses related to off field behaviour I imagine must be difficult to negotiate. Fingers crossed they will come to an amicable agreement and Jordy never gets busted again Smile
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Magpie Russ wrote:
Peter Moore (has since said he regretted going for more money)

Captain at the time, Mark Choco Williams left Collingwood for more money 💰 at the Brions.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Fingers crossed they will come to an amicable agreement and Jordy never gets busted again Smile

That reminds me, I owe the tooth fairy some money……………….

The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
He stuffs up. So do other players. If it’s bad enough, the AFL steps in and suspends/deregisters the player.

But if that happens, does his money get taken off of our books? Would be be obliged to keep paying him for the duration of the contact?

Also remember, any indiscretions on his behalf reflect badly on the whole club, not just him. So the club must put measures in place to protect the brand.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
BTW, have a read of what the Players Association thinks about the contract clauses:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/27/that-is-the-ultimate-edmund-reveals-specifics-of-catch-all-de-goey-contract/

For those who didn't read it,

Quote:
Edmund revealed more details on the specifics of the clause, reporting it was broad enough to give the Pies scope to terminate the deal “whenever they think necessary”.

He also said the AFLPA weren’t impressed with the terms of the contact, saying they didn’t support any additional behavioural-related clauses above and beyond the standard playing contract.

“The AFL Players’ Association has taken aim at Collingwood this morning,” he said on AFL Trade Radio’s Trade Mornings.

“From what I have been told, the catch-all clause in the Collingwood contract for Jordan De Goey read along the lines of Collingwood being able to stand down Jordan De Goey and terminate his contract whenever they think necessary.

“That is the ultimate catch-all clause.

Pretty stupid from the club IMO to try to put something that broad in a player contract. As I said previously, looking what the club did to Treloar and are doing to Grundy, why would you be willing to trust the club not to sack you for a misdemeanor if they felt reason to?

All players are already covered by the AFL Code of Conduct, rules and Policies, that's a bullshit attempt and he's right to knock it back.

He's not after the money, he took less money to stay last time and he's happy to do it again, but not like that.

Smarten up Collingwood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: