Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy Anniversary 1990: 32 years since 32 year drought!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great posts in this thread. RudeBoy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well I was pretty young, but I do remember parts of the day. I try so hard to remember more. Our family watched from home. Everyone in a different room.

The things I can remember, I will cherish for the rest of my life.

*Jumping up and down on the couch at the end.
*The house being fully decked out in balloons and streamers.
*My Dad. I didnt understand what he'd been through. He was 34 and this was one of two times I'd seen him get emotional. (The other was when the dog died in December 2002). Crying or Very sad
*My Mum. "**** I think they've won it"... Watching from the small TV in mine and my brothers bedroom.
*The siren... everyone carrying on like muppets. My parents dancing in the living room.
*My grandparents coming over and celebrating with my Dad. They brought Pizza. (Pop was a Collingwood person, Nan was a Richmond nut, but she knew what it meant for him).

I also remember thinking how easy this was. And that I'd be seeing this many times in the future, like it was nothing. Embarassed

I wish there were photos and videos of this day. Mum says she has some, but can never find them. Not like today where you have 30,000 photos taken because you went to the Zoo.

I can also remember the days after, when we put the herald sun poster on the wall. And the streamers being up for weeks. I can also remember the days before the game, we went to training at Vic Park. I remember cracking the shits because I didnt have a black and white stripped jumper. Mum had one with horizontal stripes and I can remember saying "thats Geelong" and absolutely cracking it. My memory of training is vague. I remember it was very crowded, and for some reason I can remember the runner/trainers.

The other thing that pops into my mind sometimes from this era, was when 1989 turned into 1990. Dad said they'll never be another 1980s ever again and me and my brother bawled our eyes out. Laughing Who knew it was going to be such a glorious year in the end!

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 pm

I also just looked this up...

Quote:
The good news is that it's completely normal not to remember much of your early years. It's known as infantile amnesia. This means that even though kids' brains are like little sponges, soaking in all that info and experience, you might take relatively few memories of it into adulthood

Crying or Very sad

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:00 am

Presti35 wrote:
I also just looked this up...

Quote:
The good news is that it's completely normal not to remember much of your early years. It's known as infantile amnesia. This means that even though kids' brains are like little sponges, soaking in all that info and experience, you might take relatively few memories of it into adulthood

Crying or Very sad

Or perhaps it's a bit like what they used to say about the 1960s..."if you remember it, you weren't there". Cool
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:12 pm

skaman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I was at the game with 3 generations of my family, born and bred in Collingwood.

That night we descended on Victoria Park and experienced the most exhilarating outpouring of mass passion and joy imaginable. Swept up by the emotion of the moment (and being pissed as a fart) I swung my trumpet over my shoulder and attempted to climb a goal post in front of the Bobby Rose stand, intending to play 'Good Old Collingwood Forever' from atop the post. The crowd all clapped in unison as I inched my way up the goal post, until fatigue overtook me and I slowly slid to the ground in a drunken heap. I remember a St Johns ambulance guy rushing over to see if I was alright, and all I could do was sing our theme song. Oh what a night!!

I remember that well Mr. Wheezey! 🤣.Standing there watching you.
My late brother Pete was standing there just starring at the hallowed turf, tears streaming down his face. Only time id seen him cry.

Rob, I was there too - were you the one egging him onto do it?
Seeing Bruce slide down the goal post in defeat was the only thing we lost that day!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:14 pm

piedys wrote:
skaman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I was at the game with 3 generations of my family, born and bred in Collingwood.

That night we descended on Victoria Park and experienced the most exhilarating outpouring of mass passion and joy imaginable. Swept up by the emotion of the moment (and being pissed as a fart) I swung my trumpet over my shoulder and attempted to climb a goal post in front of the Bobby Rose stand, intending to play 'Good Old Collingwood Forever' from atop the post. The crowd all clapped in unison as I inched my way up the goal post, until fatigue overtook me and I slowly slid to the ground in a drunken heap. I remember a St Johns ambulance guy rushing over to see if I was alright, and all I could do was sing our theme song. Oh what a night!!

I remember that well Mr. Wheezey! 🤣.Standing there watching you.
My late brother Pete was standing there just starring at the hallowed turf, tears streaming down his face. Only time id seen him cry.

Rob, I was there too - were you the one egging him onto do it?
Seeing Bruce slide down the goal post in defeat was the only thing we lost that day!

I know your family were there with mine that glorious night Andy. I am however, somewhat surprised that you remember any of it! Cool
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:48 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I know your family were there with mine that glorious night Andy. I am however, somewhat surprised that you remember any of it! Cool

I think I was THE only sober person at Vic Park that night; which is kinda sad in itself Laughing I remember everything - and things I don't want to!!

The only regret I have of that time was not getting my photo taken with the 1990 cup, as many people did, in the weeks following.
IIRC, the fee was a paltry $20? Think your clan all got photos done?

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:58 am

19 years old, not long living in Melbourne. A mate bought us finals series tickets, standing room under the old Southern Stand.

Watched the Reserves GF between Carlton & Melbourne, which was a pretty entertaining match, made more so whenever Dorotich went near the ball, the crowd around us yelled in unison, "Hey Dora, show us your dick". Those old enough will recall the background to that jeer.

I also recall two police officers walking along the boundary, a sergeant accompanied by a very young female constable, looked straight out of the academy. Next thing the crowd started singing Joe Jacksons "Is She Really Going Out With Him". Only Essendons sash was a brighter shade of red.

The crowd really started to pour in by 3/4 time in the Reserves GF. By the time the match started, it was jam packed. We'd been hitting the tins pretty regulalry and during the 1st quarter I recall saying to my mate I needed a piss and how was I going to get out?. An old timer next to us just said to me son, grab an empty and piss where you stand!

On the way out of the ground, enterprising fellas had already printed a t-shirt which I bought, looked like it was straight out of the Collingwood Fanzine merch dep't.
Collecting all the the papers the next morning, then reading them over breakfast was sublime.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:26 pm

I left work on Friday and put in a month's leave as I said we will win. The boss said I will see you Monday. On the night I was back at Windy Hill as I had a lot of friends there and nearly played for them but wasn't good enough. Back then we had the Sunday Observer and they interviewed a guy who has tattooed on his chest, "I Hate Collingwood". He said if we won he would leave the State. He was at Windy Hill and every time I saw him I said, "are you still here"? Well after many drinks it got to the "are you still here C". My older Brother an Essendon Coterie member said it was time for me to leave and put me in a Taxi heading to Vic Park. I could not get any closer than High Street and I walked to Vic Park. Pies win, I couch surfed for a week and got married as I said I wouldn't get married until the Pies won a flag. A massive month in my life.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:08 pm

I was at the game with my dad. I was 14 then and hadn't experienced any pain as a supporter, apart from 1988 and 1989 finals dumps. Sitting in the Olympic stand with my flag in hand just feeling completely confident that we would win after flogging them in the 2nd Semi earlier. Dad was never sure until Monkey's goal in the last quarter, then he started to relax and enjoy it, but I was celebrating half-way through the 2nd quarter.

After that we stuck around watching all the presentations on the ground then took the sweetest walk back to the car down Punt Rd to our "secret" free parking area. It was the best walk back I ever experienced, the crowd on the streets was intense. Car horns blaring everywhere, scarfs flapping out of car windows. People singing the song, and a few friendly gestures to Essendon supporters along the way. So good.

Then we got home, Mum had hot soup ready for us and we watched all the replays we could find, listened to the radio about the game all night and enjoyed the victory.

One of the very best days.

MONCO: Your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: