Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is there any room for Noble?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Noble play v the Giants?
Yes
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 38

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
For whatever it’s worth, and it may not be much, newly retired former GWS captain Phil Davis made a passing comment on SEN this morning that he expects Noble to be brought back in for this game. See below from 18:20:

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/whateley/id1198117448?i=1000628514912

Yeah, I listened to that podcast as well, and heard this offhand comment. Several of his comments I thought were completely superficial, and I think this was one of them. He is just thinking GWS have several fast small forwards, so Noble coming in would be logical to counter them.
However, of course a much deeper analysis is necessary. We just lost Tay, so it would be extremely risky to omit Lipinsky. Therefore, the sub is out of Ginni and Noble. Fly in his presser today hinted at the dilemma. Do you go with "spark", or do you go with "insurance"? Ginni is spark: when he is subbed on, the roar blows the imaginary ceiling off the MCG. Or do you go with insurance: JN is insurance: comes on as a running defender to help rebound the ball out of our D50, before the GWS small forwards can get to it. It is a difficult decision. I favour Ginni, because of the spark factor, and also because when he came on against the Dreamons in the last quarter, he was very good defensively as well.
As Fly said in his presser today: JN, keep attentive in the slips, and make sure you take the catch. It could come your way at any moment.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:18 pm

Most media reckon 1 (forced) change only. (Tay out, Daicos in.)
Feel Sad for Johnny.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:15 am

I’m sure players would rather not think this way, but I wonder if he was secretly hoping Maynard would get suspended? I assume he would have played if so.

It’s tough when you desperately want to break into the side but literally require a teammate’s misfortune in order to get your wish. I wonder how players compartmentalise that.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:32 am

No way. I don't believe for a minute JN would have been hoping for this. He is an absolute gem, and would be supporting Bruzza. JN wears his heart on his sleeve. He is a gun because he just does everything for the team. If we win on Friday night, he is still a chance for the GF. Love JN, because he is completely about the team.
David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:30 am

As MTTM refers to above, McRae said in his press conference yesterday that he expects us to most likely go in unchanged with the exception of Daicos coming in for Adams. So it may be grand final or bust for Noble now.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036531/nick-daicos-fit-and-firing-as-selection-squeeze-looms-for-magpies

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:14 pm

It can’t be easy to drop any player in the finals. Especially being dropped from a winning Prelim side. Injuries aside and with all your cattle on the park to pick from, you might choose to drop a player whom is not in your best GF23 earlier in the finals series rather than post the prelim. It’s still a low but if softens it a little and gives time to work on the attitude over 3 weeks instead of 2 or 3 days. A blow up in GF week is more likely to disrupt the team than something planned earlier.

Just a scenario.

Boot 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:24 pm

I voted No, but the threat of GWS's Daniel and Bedford as speedy forwards could tempt Fly McRae to swap Noble in as sub for Ginnivan?
However, the run and speed of Hoskin-Elliot, Markov and Quaynor is likely to keep the unlikely Noble out of the team.
Just heard that the team has been named and only one change announced with Nick Daicos in for the injured Taylor Adams.
No doubt Noble would be one of the emergencies named so he is still in the mix!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:40 pm

Named as an emergency
K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:58 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
... Injuries aside and with all your cattle on the park to pick from, you might choose to drop a player whom is not in your best GF23 earlier in the finals series rather than post the prelim. It’s still a low but if softens it a little and ...

Nah, don't like that. Gotta go with horses for courses. (And form, of course.)
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:33 pm

Will depend on how Adams and/or McStay pull up, but for me … I think we need to find a spot for him. In a tight, hard-fought game like tonight’s was, he would have had a positive impact.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:30 am

Could Noble not play a role across half forward if we didn't want to mess with our defence?
Just feel his skill set could translate to other areas and adding him to Hill, McCreery and Elliott would ramp up the speed and pressure in our forward half on what is predicted to be a fine Saturday.
One thing for sure is that he'll be hungry and motivated to perform if given an opportunity.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:41 am

I think we’ve missed Johnny’s run off half back. Last night, in Q2 especially we kept kicking to contests and not winning them. Some more run would be good.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:52 am

dalyc wrote:
I think we’ve missed Johnny’s run off half back. Last night, in Q2 especially we kept kicking to contests and not winning them. Some more run would be good.

THIS 100%

Was thinking the same thing last night!

BARRACK HARD!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:34 pm

dalyc wrote:

I think there's some merit to this.
Pretty telling that Fly and co decided to move N Daicos back to half back for some run and carry when GWS were dominating us in the middle parts of the game.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Going small with McStay out is an idea...

Of course, the Adams rehab adds more uncertainty.

Guess now that it'll be Brissy. Who plays on Charlie Cameron?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: