Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grand Final #11A - 2011

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tragedy the 2011 season was. Whilst the 2011 team was a strong team, in the final analysis my opinion has always been that the 2010 team was the better. We dismantled the Dogs and then spliflicated that self same Geelong in the prelim and then won the big one after two hard fought grand finals. You can't do much more than that.

Another reason I rate 2010 the better team is due to the superior form of most of the players in the 2010 finals series. As part of my grand final build up, I watched the 2010 finals series again, and was struck by what good form most of our players had during that series. So-called lesser lights like Leigh Brown were on fire most of that finals campaign. I was surprised watching them how much he contributed to both the Footscray and Geelong victories for example.

Maguire's ill conceived "succession plan" hung over the entire season but particularly so over the finals series and I believe affected Malthouse's coaching when it was most needed. As an opponent of that witless idea from the very beginning, and looking back on it, a smart and courageous president and board would have cancelled or put it back a couple of years the matter of the coaching succession after the 2010 premiership win in order to build further on the success of that win. Still hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:59 pm

I've heard it said that if not for the succession plan, we wouldn't have recruited Jolly and Ball at the end of 2009 and we wouldn't have won the flag in 2010. Supposedly, as the story goes, the succession plan made Malthouse desperate for success. I'm sceptical because surely coaches are always desperate for success. There's no way of knowing if without the succession plan Jolly and Ball would have been recruited.

Under Buckley Collingwood came 3rd in 2012 and 6th in 2013. How would the team have gone if Malthouse had continued coaching us? It's impossible to say.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:59 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
I think it’s always very easy to blame Bucks in hindsight. Many of us at the time, me included, fully supported the takeover idea and thought that MM’s health was not the best to coach Collingwood. MM’s reported ill health was a huge concern and factor for me although later this whole issue was somehow minimised. So it was a very complicated situation with many areas of concern and to blame only Bucks is not the right thing to do, even in hindsight.

I don't blame Nathan for taking the gig, although he could definitely have made a smarter decision. The administration at the Club, at the time, though - well, what a bunch of clowns.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:58 pm
Post subject: Re: #11A - 2011Reply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
2011 – Geelong 119 defeated Collingwood 81

Collingwood continued on its merry way and didn’t lose a match until it met Geelong again in round 24 which was the last round of the season.
Collingwood was favourites. .... Geelong waltzed away, and thrashed Collingwood by 96 points. That result gave people pause to think.

The post match forum here simply dismissed as a dead rubber no-show, and a momentary glitch in the matrix; I however, wasn't so sure...

Harrysz wrote:
In the preliminary final, they played Hawthorn and that was a close match the whole night.... Collingwood fell in by 3 points. Mick Malthouse sat in the coach’s box with tears in his eyes.

I was shaking with anger by the end of that game; we had kicked 5 fuccking goals to three quarter time. In a prelim final; 5! Whorethorn totally drained our tank that night, plus Beams pulled a thigh muscle, ruling him out, unlike others, for the following week.
I often wonder had Whorethorn fallen on the other side of the finals fixture, and saddled up against Geelong in that PF instead, would that have sapped Geelong's energy levels to the same extent as ours?

Harrysz wrote:
So Collingwood was drawn to play Geelong in the Grand Final for the first time since 1953... Geelong raced away winning the game by 38 points.

The only time I had conceded defeat going into a GF, all as a result of the previous 4 or so weeks of formless football.
I was hoping for the best on GF day though, and watched the game with Fidgey and a few others at Pineapple in Brisbane. And they almost had me bluffed as we kicked away in 2nd term, until spud Podsly did his shoulder, then unknown Duncan came on as sub and ripped us a new arse.
Personally I consider that final term to be THE most heartless i've ever seen us play in a GF; worse than 2003 in fact. Even the 1980 team fought it out with pride for the whole game.
And i've never set foot in the Pineapple in Brisbane since; and sure as fucck wasn't going there on GF day 2023 to jinx us again!

Harrysz wrote:
As a post-script to this game, Mick Malthouse announced that he would not stay as Director of Coaching for the next two years which had been the ‘succession plan’ crafted by President Eddie Maguire.
Nathan Buckley took over as coach and the team gradually declined over the next few years.

Always said there should have been a premiership clause in that deal for Mick, which invalidated, or at least delayed the whole thing.
The pain of 2018 should have erased all of this, save for a couple of cowardly, maggot umpires, who weren't given another chance to stitch us up again on the day in 2023.

Harrysz wrote:
Seasons are long and the winner of the premiership is often the team that stands up the longest. Unfortunately in 2011, that wasn’t Collingwood.

And nobody going to mention the whole Cloke contract saga as well?

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:34 am

Piedys, you make some strong points. I admire your passion.
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:11 am

I watched this game from a pub in London having flown in the night before. The second quarter was mental and we were well on top. I remember the commentators saying that Geel just have to hold on until half time. The Reid selection decision was heartbreaking. The last round loss to Geelong was absurd - we should have played the entire seconds team and not given them any psychological opportunity. But I know for a fact that the last half of the year the football club was at war with itself. With the benefit of hindsight, you would have ripped up the coaching handover agreement by round 15. But sadly too much of Ed’s ego verses Mick’s ego. This was one we left on table. Bartel’s third quarter was huge for them. But this one still hurts
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:02 pm

The Mick Madhouse dummy spit.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:23 am

Harrysz wrote:
Piedys, you make some strong points. I admire your passion.

Harry, you have been here since 2001, which says a lot about your loyalty to both the club, and us tragics on this forum!

But you certainly covered all the bases with your analysis on this particular GF fiasco.

What I think we all forgot to note was that both G.Ablett jnr left at the end of 2010 to join GCS [even though he wanted to renege at last minute and stay with handbaggers...], and Thompson called time as well.

So that should have been the END of their era by conclusion of 2010PF, when we had them demoralised by 3/4-time.
I think we all gave them no chance to recover from that going into 2011; instead Chris Scott walks into chair and thinks how fuccking easy is this caper, by the seasons end.

Damn right it still pisses, you, me and everybody else who suffered through it, off. Mad

And yes, I reckon Geebung were "on the gear" in 2011, no doubt; they certianly had an abnormal amount of run in their legs in that final term.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm

Thanks Piedys
MagpieWhisperer35 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:09 pm

Horrible GF obviously, Mick Malthouse went on the Footy Show sulking l leading into finals, Maxwell and Shaw done for gambling, rubbish free just before half time, podsiadly getting injured serendipitous for cats, Geelong on a mission to avenge 2010 prelim loss to us, you could list the littany of obstacles. I stopped watching two minutes into last quarter but my sisters kept on viewing i could hear them howling from outside. Didnt want to see the celebration at our expense but they looked to be cooked. When they flogged us late in season it was apparent to me the ultimate realist it was not back to back. Yuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: