Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The "game day experience" aint what it used to be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch@M32 wrote:
Who amongst this "younger generation" wants it? Were they surveyed? Was a study conducted? Why would the "younger generation" want mostly 30+ year old songs played after each goal?

Show me the evidence that shows that young people want it!

I haven’t got any evidence to support that view because it is just my opinion. However based on the responses, it looks like I was well off the mark.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:16 am

I loved it 50 years ago and I love it today!

Sure, it's changed heaps.

Back in the 70's & 80's as a kid, you could sneak in the changerooms before the game, get up close with the players for autographs anytime and kick the footy on the ground at the breaks.
Today, being amongst a noisy crowd, with the Pies playing our exciting brand is heaven for me.

You have to make every day a winner, you don't know how many you've got.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:46 am

Growing crowd numbers would have to suggest someone likes it (not me!).

That being said kiss-cam and oblivious-cam are both kinda fun.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:42 pm

Kiss-cam is fun, happens at halftime and doesn't intrude upon the game.
It also got my daughter to kiss me for the first time in about 15 years.
So a thumbs up from me.

The other stuff, the flashing lights, announcer's screaming, advertisements etc.. I find a bit overwhelming.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:45 pm

How about in the couple of minutes before the bounce they turn the music off, shut up, and let the atmosphere/expectation build naturally
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:38 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
How about in the couple of minutes before the bounce they turn the music off, shut up, and let the atmosphere/expectation build naturally

This.
Simply_Brutal 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:46 pm

Australian’s are classic. We pat ourselves on the back for how relaxed and laid-back we are, yet spend our time complaining about noise and lights at an entertainment venue!!

Fan-engagement activities are fine, gets a bit of a chuckle. The post-goal songs are chosen by the players, and the post-goal and pre-game lighting I think is impressive and adds to the experience. Particularly when it emphasises the home team - with so many teams sharing the same ground, the “home” advantage is lost, so any opportunity to drive that I think is a positive.

For mine, the Marvel games are the ones I look forward to the most! Easy to get to/from and navigate and they have an amazing restaurant for a delicious feed pre-game. MCG is great in its own right. I don’t understand the obsession with crapping on Marvel to pump up the G’s tyres.

Final thought; so much is spoken in this thread about the dislike of the modern “bells & whistles” yet the vast majority aren’t getting out there to go watch grassroots or even VFL football, which suggests you’re more full of it than having a genuine concern.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:00 pm

Spot on.
All for show but no go for mine.
Made the actual match day as way to much of a light show for mine.
Bring back the under 21s curtain raser any day.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:45 pm

Marvel's food options shit all over the G.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:49 pm

Simply_Brutal wrote:
Australian’s are classic. We pat ourselves on the back for how relaxed and laid-back we are, yet spend our time complaining about noise and lights at an entertainment venue!!

Fan-engagement activities are fine, gets a bit of a chuckle. The post-goal songs are chosen by the players, and the post-goal and pre-game lighting I think is impressive and adds to the experience. Particularly when it emphasises the home team - with so many teams sharing the same ground, the “home” advantage is lost, so any opportunity to drive that I think is a positive.

For mine, the Marvel games are the ones I look forward to the most! Easy to get to/from and navigate and they have an amazing restaurant for a delicious feed pre-game. MCG is great in its own right. I don’t understand the obsession with crapping on Marvel to pump up the G’s tyres.

Final thought; so much is spoken in this thread about the dislike of the modern “bells & whistles” yet the vast majority aren’t getting out there to go watch grassroots or even VFL football, which suggests you’re more full of it than having a genuine concern.

That's a little harsh. The noise was one of the two reasons I stopped going to the football (the other was the dreadful coaching under the previous regime). I don't mind extremely loud noise (I was a professional rock musician for many years) - but I found it sad that I went to the football with my oldest friend and we couldn't even talk to each other about the game while it was being played. Time was, you could talk at stoppages, and at quarter time and half-time. That possibility isn't there any longer.

Personallly, I don't want to hear a loud "Collingwood" chant when I'm at a Stones concert and I didn't want to hear "Jumping Jack Flash" when I was at the football.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:17 pm

Simply_Brutal wrote:

I think you're missing the point. People commenting here may or may not be getting out to local football games – though I have no doubt more than a few do, and no doubt enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere, as I do whenever I get to a local game. But for all the considerable merits of grassroots football and the VFL, it's also not remotely the same as a) watching football being played at the highest level; b) supporting the team you've barracked for since childhood (as opposed to their reserves or a local club); or c) being amongst a crowd of tens of thousands of passionate fans genuinely invested in the outcome, as opposed to hanging out with a few dozen people having a chat over a sausage sizzle on a Saturday afternoon. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly nice and something more people should put time aside to do, but unless you're already invested you can't just switch your brain over to feeling the same way about a local footy game as you do about your favourite AFL team winning.

The fact is that the corporatisation of the AFL, and the shift towards matches being an "entertainment experience" as opposed to something more orientated towards the game itself, is a real thing that's happened. Like it or loathe it, there's been a profound shift over the past generation towards eating up all available dead space and towards constant stimulation and ploys to divert our attention. But much like cities without parks, or roads covered in advertising billboards, or days and nights with constant access to a smartphone, we do lose something when we give up that unoccupied space.

To look at recognition of that as empty griping strikes me as a bit of a rarefied response, akin to those who sneer at football or other sport as "just a piece of leather being kicked around". The fact is that things we're passionate about in life really do matter a great deal, and that includes how we experience them.

Of course everything changes and always will, and we shouldn't be automatically opposed to it. But I agree with those who feel that something beautiful and special about attending a top-level football game has been lost, and it's a feeling you're not going to find elsewhere. So it's okay to mourn that – or, even better, if enough people care, to speak out and do something to change it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:38 pm

Eloquently put, as usual, David.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:12 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

Normal population growth will see corresponding increases in crowds

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:45 am

dalyc wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

Normal population growth will see corresponding increases in crowds

Not sure many of the half million Indians or chinese coming into the country go to games Confused

Crowds are up 25% since 2016, I think the countries population has increased at less than half that rate.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:06 pm

One thing I dont get is this supposed cost of living crisis, supermarket price gouging, price hikes, mortgage stress, struggle to put food on the table, etc. YET, footy crowds continue to be huge, 80 000 plus some matches, 90 000 now very common. Lets face it to have a good day at the footy, you need AT LEAST, $100 min, fares, match entry, food, couple of beers, and for families, its far more than that, has too be. Club memberships, most, are very expensive, some nearly $1000 , minimum, yet grounds are packed out weekly. I wonder how many " battlers " go to footy, spend their coin,then line up for food boxes at food banks, wben the cash has gone. And dont even start me, on footy gambling, the mass footy gambling industry buddy bet, and all that stuff, I just find it weird in a cost of living crisis, thats all.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: