Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MH17

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
and you cannot burn the US flag

Really? You just watch me.

Well, no, you are probably right now that I think about it, 'coz most things don't burn if they are wet, and the first thing I'd do with a US flag if I had one is ....

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 am

pietillidie wrote:
You may have forgotten the Iraq War debates, but that has an eerily familiar echo.

Really? I think not. In this case, no-one is talking about sending in the B-52s and the M1A1s. No-one is making up outrageous lies about weapons of mass destruction. No-one wants a war. (Compare with Iraq #2, where Bush was so keen to start a war that he couldn't get his dick back in his pants.) In short, this is very, very different. This time, the talk is of trade sanctions to gently nudge the aggressor state back into line via the pocketbook, without violence. Much better, and much more likely to be effective.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 am

Tannin wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
You may have forgotten the Iraq War debates, but that has an eerily familiar echo.

Really? I think not. In this case, no-one is talking about sending in the B-52s and the M1A1s. No-one is making up outrageous lies about weapons of mass destruction. No-one wants a war. (Compare with Iraq #2, where Bush was so keen to start a war that he couldn't get his dick back in his pants.) In short, this is very, very different. This time, the talk is of trade sanctions to gently nudge the aggressor state back into line via the pocketbook, without violence. Much better, and much more likely to be effective.

At a comparable very early stage the debate does echo it, yes, not to mention we all know how many Iraqi children "sanctions" indirectly impacted prior to the invasion—and we're not talking Saddam's children.

I've got no problem with "trade sanctions" as a concept, but you still have to explain what the hell they really mean, because we all know in these situations "trade sanctions" frequently end up meaning something like "impositions easily hijacked by special interests which cause the wrong people to suffer/benefit and are merely surrogates for anti-competitive actions against competing business and capital".

There is huge capital at stake here, there are competing geopolitical interests (just consider Germany and China, for starters), and there is a money trail behind these decisions. So until you can map who's got leverage over what and what the precise implications of 'sanctions" are, you're going to be acting blindly and gambling with other people's lives.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Yes, agreed, right up until you get to the unwarranted non sequitur conclusion about "acting blindly" and "gambling with other people's lives". People's lives are ALREADY at risk. To do nothing, as you propose, is ALREADY to take a stance and gamble with people's lives, lives that are ALREADY being lost. We ALREADY have a gamble in play, and it's a monumental sucker bet. We are ALREADY gambling that Putin and his goons will act in a civilised way and not invade other countries and shoot down airliners and not beat up all the little countries around him.

And it's a sucker bet. We lost. Big time. They lost, all the people we let Putin and his goon squads murder because we foolishly gambled that if we ignored him he might not do it after all. Now we can double down on the sucker bet and see countless others murdered, or we can try doing something positive, something with a decent chance of success. We have to bet, there is no option. So let's at least place a smarter bet, one that just might pay off with peace and stability and lower loss of life.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Ah. Alright then. Understood. I will take that under advisement.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:
and you cannot burn the US flag

Really? You just watch me.

Well, no, you are probably right now that I think about it, 'coz most things don't burn if they are wet, and the first thing I'd do with a US flag if I had one is ....

"'My Daddy died for that flag!'
Oh really? I got mine at Walmart." — Bill Hicks

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:05 pm

I am completely behind a ban on rutile exports.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm

I had a small rutile once, but the cat tried to catch it and its tail fell off.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Tannin wrote:
Yes, agreed, right up until you get to the unwarranted non sequitur conclusion about "acting blindly" and "gambling with other people's lives". People's lives are ALREADY at risk. To do nothing, as you propose, is ALREADY to take a stance and gamble with people's lives, lives that are ALREADY being lost. We ALREADY have a gamble in play, and it's a monumental sucker bet. We are ALREADY gambling that Putin and his goons will act in a civilised way and not invade other countries and shoot down airliners and not beat up all the little countries around him.

And it's a sucker bet. We lost. Big time. They lost, all the people we let Putin and his goon squads murder because we foolishly gambled that if we ignored him he might not do it after all. Now we can double down on the sucker bet and see countless others murdered, or we can try doing something positive, something with a decent chance of success. We have to bet, there is no option. So let's at least place a smarter bet, one that just might pay off with peace and stability and lower loss of life.

Another identical Iraq debate argument. To the letter.

You stay with vague, undefined notions of "sanctions", refuse specify their architecture and map their implications to any serious level of due diligence, fail to specify alternative actions and their implications to any serious level of due diligence, and then leave us with the entirely empty claim that doing nothing is worse than doing something.

It's the Iraq debates to the letter, Tannin. You've gone too hard, too early; why back a position when we all, including yourself, know so little about the problem, not to mention any number of plausible solutions, to start with?

How about before interfering in a region you don't know from Jupiter, you do the due diligence, including showing how the whole thing won't be hijacked by special interests for more sinister ends. Why not include the geo-economics of the matter in your analysis, from Germany to China, to global capital interests?

Then, I'll listen; as I say, I have nothing against taking action to help others, I'm just against unspecified action by unspecified actors with unspecified implications that ends up much worse than the status quo for the majority concerned, as with Iraq.

Okay, in your defense you need more time to map things out to demonstrate why you're not playing kick and hope with a blindfold on. But get serious before jumping the gun as if you've been granted some sort of divine gut instinct.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:54 pm

With respect, PTID, that's garbage. The key point that you utterly refuse to recognise is that the outside world is already interfering, bigtime. A hostile outside power is already sending in troops, guns, rabble-rousers, propaganda, and powerful surface-to-air missiles.

Our task is to stop the interference by pressuring the foreign power doing the damage to stop it, right now. Putin and his corrupt cronies need Western and in particular European money to stay in power. You know that, I know that, Europe knows that, even Putin knows that.

It's not that hard: we take away the European money stream keeping Putin in power (by buying natural gas elsewhere, or by whichever other sanction is considered most effective and most easily reversible, gas is just the most obvious and most clearly practicable option) and Putin has no choice but to leave office (he won't) or stop interfering in countries which do not belong to him (which he will do, 'coz at that point he has no alternative).

You are supporting brutal, militaristic expansionism of the worst kind - as bad or worse than what the US did in Iraq. That is unacceptable. You need to stop collaborating with the man who (more than any other) caused this tragic state of affairs and who (more than any other) can restore peace to the region.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:07 pm

^Yet another ultimately disastrous pre-Iraq argument, devoid of data, missing a comparative analysis of options, and merely a guess based on common discourses concerning these things. I don't get why you would even think it ethical to crap on about things that require a very specific expertise and experience.

The least you could do is stop playing mental chess with a reality you know extremely little about, and map the actors, money and implications trail for us, and your expected outcomes versus the status quo.

Okay, that's an onerous task, but it really is very basic due diligence when playing god with other people's lives.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Yet another ultimately disastrous pre-Iraq argument, devoid of data, missing a comparative analysis of options, and merely a guess based on common discourses concerning these things. I don't get why you would even think it ethical to crap on about things that require a very specific expertise and experience.

The least you could do is stop playing mental chess with a reality you know extremely little about, and map the actors, money and implications trail for us, and your expected outcomes versus the status quo.

Okay, that's an onerous task, but it really is very basic due diligence when playing god with other people's lives.

Indeed, Iraq II was also different in that Saddam at that point was not actually invading anyone else, as Putin is stealthily doing. So , apart from that, and the fact that noone here is arguing for Western military intervention, noone is telling lies about WMD, and Europe is being destabilised such that a civilian airliner has been shot down by thugs.....erm, yep, it's pretty similar.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Mate, it's not that hard, and it's got nothing to do with Iraq. Right now, there is a hostile foreign power throwing its weight around where it doesn't belong, and killing people left, right and centre. We have a choice: we stop the killing by using our commercial influence, or we can condone it and encourage even more bloodshed by doing nothing. That's the choice.

Clearly, we MUST do what we can to stop the killing.

You are arguing that we should roll the dice again with millions of people's lives and let the killing go on and on and on. Fine: if that's what you want, have the honesty to say straight out that you want the war and the killing to go on. That's OK, you are allowed to think that. It's a disgusting and unhuman point of view, but if that is your honest opinion, then so be it.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 pm

I think there's real possibility for a cautious middle ground approach to this—one that both cracks down on Putin in a meaningful way without descending into the kind of damaging hysteria that the war hawks in America and elsewhere live for. If you think I'm exaggerating, let's not forget that Republican candidates were talking pre-emptive strikes on Iran just two years ago. Let's not encourage people like that.

So, let's get the facts clear: Putin is a vile imperialist dictator, but he's not Hitler. Eastern Europe isn't in his sights, just ex-Soviet republics like Ukraine and Belarus (which Russia essentially owns already). Neither are his stooges in Donetsk 'terrorists'. I'm very open to the idea of crippling sanctions, but they have to be appropriate and carried out with clear aims, lest they just be used as a preliminary means of warfare and escalation.

What Putin is doing and has done is unacceptable, but we can't let our moral self-righteousness overpower our sense of moderation. No sane person wants a war between Russia and the west, but there are many less than sane people in positions of power in the world. We can't afford to pretend that's not the case.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 pm

1061 wrote:
HAL wrote:
I could but let's get back to that later.

They just don't get it do they tinhead.

nope nope and still, nope, they dont Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22   

Jump to: