Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Death Penalty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Death Penalty
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Not Sure
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I really wanna spank the Monkey
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any suggestion that these two would be released. The next sentence down from the death penalty is life imprisonment, and one imagines that's what they would get if their plea for clemency could somehow be resolved.

Re: Jones, on this occasion I think he speaks well. I have no more time for him than you do, Tannin, but I don't think there's anyone in the world who doesn't at least occasionally have something worthwhile to say. On this occasion, he does.

(Though I'm not sure about the "barbarians at the gates" stuff. Would he say the same about the US?)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:16 am

I bet hearing Jones like that causes some cognitive dissonance around here, but the man is very intelligent and well spoken when he takes off the shock jock hat. I think he did reference the US as well David, he's obviously opposed strongly to the death penalty.

And Tannin, Tony Jones is the host Laughing

Alan Jones is, as you suspect, the Sydney talk radio host. Dismissing someone's heartfelt, intelligent statement because of political bias doesn't become you. I've even been impressed with Germaine Greer before, and boy did that shock the system Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:21 am

David wrote:
I don't think there's any suggestion that these two would be released. The next sentence down from the death penalty is life imprisonment, and one imagines that's what they would get if their plea for clemency could somehow be resolved.

OK David please stop being YOU for a minute and READ with your eyes open.

I was comparing people in the Australian Prison system serving our harshest sentence to these men in Indonesian serving their harshest sentence!

Their's = DEATH, a step down is Life in Prison.
Australia's = Life in prison, a step down would be early release.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

You're also comparing a drug courier to mass murderers and infanticides.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks Wokko, bit of a senior moment there.

I'd ask all Nicksters to ignore my previous posts except that y'all probably do that as routine.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:22 am

Wokko wrote:
You're also comparing a drug courier to mass murderers and infanticides.

Seems fair, that amount of Heroin, how many people can it kill? How many unborn babies will it maim?

BTW if they got clemency, would they then shut up, or would they then seek release somewhere down the track?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:24 am

Not as many as you might think.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:24 am

Wokko wrote:
I bet hearing Jones like that causes some cognitive dissonance around here, but the man is very intelligent and well spoken when he takes off the shock jock hat. I think he did reference the US as well David, he's obviously opposed strongly to the death penalty.

And Tannin, Tony Jones is the host Laughing

Alan Jones is, as you suspect, the Sydney talk radio host. Dismissing someone's heartfelt, intelligent statement because of political bias doesn't become you. I've even been impressed with Germaine Greer before, and boy did that shock the system Laughing

That's the thing that shots me with all the slagging of Andrew bolt, they are all just journalists, nothing special

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:25 am

The Bali ringleaders should be punished as per Indonesian Law. That means the Death Penalty. I am sick and tired of hearing the spin about how they are rehabilitated. I would be too under the same circumstances. They were not importing a few grams here, it was kilos of heroin. I heard one journo say the devastation it will cause the families if they are executed. Let's back the train up here. What about the devastation all the families would have suffered had they got their heroin back here. Denpasar Airport is clearly marked with what happens if you are caught with drugs.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:26 am

They're not 'ring leaders', they're mid level distributors. Small fry. They said they couldn't give up the ringleaders/big wigs because their families will get killed.

As for the whole 'drugs kill people' thing, well there is a decision made to take them by the user, and users always manage to get their drugs. Alcohol is just as deadly (if not more) and I don't blame the chick at Dan Murphys or the truck driver for giving an alcoholic their 2nd bottle of bourbon for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 am

Wokko wrote:
They're not 'ring leaders', they're mid level distributors. Small fry. They said they couldn't give up the ringleaders/big wigs because their families will get killed.

Bullshit, this isn't the wild west.
I've been around all levels of drug usage and this is BS.

Wokko wrote:
As for the whole 'drugs kill people' thing, well there is a decision made to take them by the user, and users always manage to get their drugs. Alcohol is just as deadly (if not more) and I don't blame the chick at Dan Murphys or the truck driver for giving an alcoholic their 2nd bottle of bourbon for the day.

Free will, Wokko that goes all ways.
These guys had the free will to do this knowing Death was the risk and they took that risk.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:39 am

Yeah I love how those in favour of murdering these two blokes justify it by saying how many lives would have been ruined if the drugs had got through.

Yet if some ice user bashed some old lady that resulted in her death they'd be calling for them to be killed as well.

The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am

1061 wrote:

Bullshit, this isn't the wild west.
I've been around all levels of drug usage and this is BS.

Your experience isn't their experience. The mere threat of it would be enough, and what I said was accurate, that is what those two have said, and it has been acknowledged they're certainly not Pablo Escobars of the Australian drug world.

1061 wrote:
Free will, Wokko that goes all ways.
These guys had the free will to do this knowing Death was the risk and they took that risk.

That's true, but it doesn't make State sanctioned murder the ethical or right thing to do. These two guys are certainly culpable for what is happening to them, if you take drugs into Indonesia and get caught, the authorities will kill you. That doesn't make that killing just, or right, or defensible.

If I walk around with a stack of 100s in my hand then I'm going to get it stolen, doesn't make stealing that money right, but I'm culpable for it happening.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:28 pm

I hear and read that the executions won't mean anything. Barlow and Chambers were executed and the message was loud and clear about Bangkok. The same message will be loud and clear about Indonesia. You import large quantities of drugs into Indonesia and you get caught you will be facing the death penalty.

This is their Law, not ours. The only person I feel for out of the whole episode is Scott Rush's Father who dobbed them in to the AFP and in turn gave his son a life prison sentence.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm

1061 wrote:
David wrote:

OK David please stop being YOU for a minute and READ with your eyes open.

I was comparing people in the Australian Prison system serving our harshest sentence to these men in Indonesian serving their harshest sentence!

Their's = DEATH, a step down is Life in Prison.
Australia's = Life in prison, a step down would be early release.

A step down here might be 50 or 60 years in prison instead of life. Hardly "throwing the gates open", is it? Or "just releasing" someone because they're "so sorry"?

If you meant something different, then you need to try expressing yourself more clearly, rather than attacking posters for offering straightforward answers to what appear to be straightforward questions.

think positive wrote:
That's the thing that shots me with all the slagging of Andrew bolt, they are all just journalists, nothing special

With respect, Bolt and Jones are not journalists. They have no journalism training, and they are only technically journalists at best. What they do bears little relation to the work of reporters or feature writers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20   

Jump to: