Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies down to Crows - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Essendon doing well so far.

Regardless of today's result I've always had a suspicion that Hird can coach.

Probably why I wanted him sacked.

Me too. Which makes what they did all the more baffling.

Interesting that Hooker post match said that he just followed his man (Gunston) into the Bumbers F50 when he kicked that goal but in the Hun today Hird is claiming it as a coaching master stroke.

Am I surprised ? Not one little bit.

But then I thought Mick's press conference after 2010 was pretty self indulgent......Roman infantry squares? Are u f**king kidding me?

Maybe its a coach thing

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm

E wrote:
Museman wrote:
" they hunted it, they were harder, they wanted it more........."

No fkn sh!te coach obvious!!!!

why? would be the answer we're all looking for....

I disagree with the comment. we may have been outclassed, but our guys effort was really impressive. something to build on I reckon.

Hmmm, interesting, the quoted comment come from OUR coach in the presser.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 pm

From what I just caught on AFL 360 when asked by Drunk Robbo what our game plan was, Buck's reply was that basically it was just to make a contest and pressure the opposition so that we can gain possession and take the ball the other way. He didn't elaborate on what we try and do with it if we are fortunate enough with our puny bodies to actually win the ball. Another poster after the last game may be right in that we are using the Underpants Gnome philosophy:
1) Get the ball
2) ????
3) Travis kicks a goal.

What happens at Step 2 is the mystery.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Longer vs Grundy be a Interesting Match Up to Watch
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:28 pm

didick wrote:
From what I just caught on AFL 360 when asked by Drunk Robbo what our game plan was, Buck's reply was that basically it was just to make a contest and pressure the opposition so that we can gain possession and take the ball the other way. He didn't elaborate on what we try and do with it if we are fortunate enough with our puny bodies to actually win the ball. Another poster after the last game may be right in that we are using the Underpants Gnome philosophy:
1) Get the ball
2) ????
3) Travis kicks a goal.

What happens at Step 2 is the mystery.

Well Bucks is not going to tell the World what is our Gameplan

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:38 pm

I don't think that its that we don't have a game plan, but obviously we are failing miserably in implementing it - and whether its from just not having the tools or the capacity, or the horses for courses is another matter that needs to be sorted out by the coach, if indeed he is capable of that.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Last weeks comeback in the last 1/4 was 'mostly irrelevant', imho, in our hearts it was still a 10+ goal thrashing. The only upside was that our defence didn't utterly crumble.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:21 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
I don't think that its that we don't have a game plan, but obviously we are failing miserably in implementing it - and whether its from just not having the tools or the capacity, or the horses for courses is another matter that needs to be sorted out by the coach, if indeed he is capable of that.

Agree - Bucks has a Gameplan but either 1)We don’t have the Players to Implement it or 2)it’s the wrong game plan

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Agree - Bucks has a Gameplan but either 1)We don’t have the Players to Implement it or 2)it’s the wrong game plan

I hear, I read a about it, people say it's useless some reckon it's evolving others say it,s non existing. Please someone, explain it to me!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:24 am

Dave The Man wrote:

the kids are still learning how to execute it.

the game style is quite evident and straight forward - create a contest, win the turnover through numbers at the ball and transition it quickly to the forward line.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 am

John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

the game style is quite evident and straight forward - create a contest, win the turnover through numbers at the ball and transition it quickly to the forward line.

What about the problems when we don't have the ball JW?

Do we have a bad zone that gifts the opposition possession of the footy from one end to the other? Or do our guys not set it up properly?
Because our style to me is totally infuriating to watch.
The ball spends too much time in the other teams hands without us adding any pressure to get it back. I'll give you an example.

Adelaide total marks 126 (119 uncontested) v Pies 59 marks (48 uncontested) Diff = 71 uncontested marks
Uncontested possessions - Adelaide 272 v Pies 190 - Diff = 82 uncontested possessions.

Even from the Brisbane win.
Brisbane total marks 87 (79 uncontested) v Pies 52 marks (40 uncontested) Diff = 39 uncontested marks
Uncontested possessions - Brisbane 216 v Pies 179 - Diff = 37 uncontested possessions.

It is boring as hell watching the other team hitup easy passes while we pretend to be witches hats. How can we score heavily while the ball is in the hands of our opposition for over 60% of game time. I can accept being beaten by a better team & right now Adelaide are a better team. What I can't accept is that there is nothing in the game plan that fills me with hope moving forward regardless of who we recruit.

We won contested possessions on both occasions this season but as far as total disposals go we were -18 disposals against lions & -35 for marks
Against crows we were -74 for disposals & -67 for marks.

This is the same data that was happening last year. In my opinion it is a flawed game plan. Yes our disposal is sub standard, but you must at least try to get it back by standing somewhere near an opponent surely?

Is this a game plan that is similar to what other teams are using & we just suck at implementing it or are we using a bad game plan that allows other teams to exploit possession of the football?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 am

Buckley explains the game plan against the Crows in a little depth under cross examination by Robbo on AFL 360 (who Buckley says "has no idea").

(Currently on the CFC web site - http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/ )

Basically, the plan coming out of defence was to kick it wide to numbers and lock the ball up in a stoppage, and then win possession at the restart and go forward from there.

This doesn't necessarily make for an "entertaining" spectacle in many peoples eyes - but would people rather be entertained or have the team try and win the game. Often you can't have both.

The rolling maul style of play is widely criticised, but there is a savage beauty in it. The Guardian recently published an article 'In Praise of the Hugely Underappreciated Art of Defensive Footy in the AFL' - its worth a read.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/apr/09/in-praise-art-of-defensive-footy

Edit: Here's an extract:

"For so long in the Australian football’s most formative years, many people – including coaches and the footy community – blindly accepted unspoken truths like “taking the game on” or that a high scoring match was always an entertaining one.

This is the essence of why footy fans find it so hard to appreciate defensive tactics. From the early 20th century to the turn of the millennium, the game was essentially played with one objective – outscoring the opposition via offence. This concept had been repeated ad nauseam until it has become considered fundamental scripture."
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:03 pm

woftam wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

What about the problems when we don't have the ball JW?

Do we have a bad zone that gifts the opposition possession of the footy from one end to the other? Or do our guys not set it up properly?
Because our style to me is totally infuriating to watch.
The ball spends too much time in the other teams hands without us adding any pressure to get it back. I'll give you an example.

Adelaide total marks 126 (119 uncontested) v Pies 59 marks (48 uncontested) Diff = 71 uncontested marks
Uncontested possessions - Adelaide 272 v Pies 190 - Diff = 82 uncontested possessions.

Even from the Brisbane win.
Brisbane total marks 87 (79 uncontested) v Pies 52 marks (40 uncontested) Diff = 39 uncontested marks
Uncontested possessions - Brisbane 216 v Pies 179 - Diff = 37 uncontested possessions.

It is boring as hell watching the other team hitup easy passes while we pretend to be witches hats. How can we score heavily while the ball is in the hands of our opposition for over 60% of game time. I can accept being beaten by a better team & right now Adelaide are a better team. What I can't accept is that there is nothing in the game plan that fills me with hope moving forward regardless of who we recruit.

We won contested possessions on both occasions this season but as far as total disposals go we were -18 disposals against lions & -35 for marks
Against crows we were -74 for disposals & -67 for marks.

This is the same data that was happening last year. In my opinion it is a flawed game plan. Yes our disposal is sub standard, but you must at least try to get it back by standing somewhere near an opponent surely?

Is this a game plan that is similar to what other teams are using & we just suck at implementing it or are we using a bad game plan that allows other teams to exploit possession of the football?

Excellent post and a worthwhile discussion point.

So worthwhile I posted it over at big footy for ya.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Uncontested possession stats can be misleading.

Often they are simply opposition sides passing the ball between themselves across the ground looking for an opening to go forward. This clocks up a high number of uncontested possessions for the opposition, but it is actually a tribute to Collingwood's defensive structures, which are preventing an easy path to the opposition's goal.

Have a look at the last quarter of the Pies vs Crows last weekend. There is a five minute patch where the Crows do nothing else but pass the ball by foot amongst themselves. Even the commentators said something like "that'll increase the uncontested possession count".
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Woods wrote:
Uncontested possession stats can be misleading.

Often they are simply opposition sides passing the ball between themselves across the ground looking for an opening to go forward. This clocks up a high number of uncontested possessions for the opposition, but it is actually a tribute to Collingwood's defensive structures, which are preventing an easy path to the opposition's goal.

Have a look at the last quarter of the Pies vs Crows last weekend. There is a five minute patch where the Crows do nothing else but pass the ball by foot amongst themselves. Even the commentators said something like "that'll increase the uncontested possession count".

furthermore, it gives the defence time to block the space into the forward linne. at the ess v haw game i saw both teams try to chip it around and then turn it over when they eventually had no options but to kick to a contest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: