Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I like the cut of Marley Williams' jib

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Adz wrote:
The club MUST sack him tomorrow. I will not renew my membership if they support a thug playing for our great club.

Ok see ya.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 am

Defender wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
Can a jail term be appealed if that is what is handed down? Im
Not familiar with legal crap

Jail term isn't an option, suspended sentence-probation-community service are the options, I'm sure his victim will go him civilly though, 50k should suffice.

Remember the scumbag who king hit David hookes walked.

David Hookes case was here in Melbourne. Andrew Krakouer might be a better example & he went to jail. First offence. Jail term is a very very real option.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am

It doesn't look good for Marley at all.

This is a summary of WA sentences for GBH. All of them were imprisoned except for one case back in 1999.

http://www.dpp.wa.gov.au/_files/GBHs_297.pdf

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 am

Jezza wrote:
Geelongpie wrote:
That was gonna be my exact question.. Does this guilty decision mean an automatic prison sentence? It said his family began weeping, that sounds like prison time to me but I know absolutely nothing about these sorts of matters. Marley is named to play sat in wang surely that's impossible.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that it doesn't mean it's an automatic prison sentence! He might receive a suspended sentence.

Surely his good work in the community in recent times has to be taken into account when he's being sentenced.

the cynic in me thinks the community service was all part of a plan to get him off.

this case should be used to send a clear message that acts like this are not tolerated in our society by anyone lest someone who has a higher profile than others.

having said that, i really hope the club sticks by him whatever the sentence handed down.

pablo 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 am

I don't really know the details of the case at hand, including claimed provocation, etc., so not necessarily commenting on this specific case.

However.... in these circumstances, if there is a grey area I really think we need to err on the side of law and order. If it's grey, put the offender in jail, even if it is just months.

The consequences of these sorts of punches are simply devasting and need to be discouraged forcefully. I don't really care whether the nature of the punch is cowardly or as part of a 'fair fight', the onus and duty of care should be on the puncher.

In addition to harsh judicial intervention, we need a comprehensive education program in schools and tv, social media, etc. supported by high profile Australians.

So back to this case....

If it is a grey area, he should serve jail time IMO.

The club should stand by him (depending on the length of the sentance). Bare in mind no other employer would stand by him, including many other AFL clubs. But, they could acheive some community good by placing him at the centre of an education campaign. Might be uncomfortable for Marley, but that's the cost of Side-by-Side, not always easy.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 am

I'm torn on this .. And I guess it comes down to how much truth there is in the provocation story. If he went him with no provocation give him the maximum sentence. I'm sick of these coward punches as much as everyone else. If, however, he was attacked (and that may be the key,,, was he attacked or merely verbally assaulted).

As a parent I'm teaching my kids (as most of my parents group friends do) don't you dare throw the first punch but if someone hits you you defend yourself - which usually involves hitting back. I guess as kids you don't have to worry about broken jaws.

It strikes me though that there is a distinct chance this is one of those circumstances where a scumbag has picked a fight for god knows what reason, and when he's been hit and suffered an injury (non life threatening BUT like so many what if he'd fallen on the concrete and hit his head) he's then gone crying to the police. We'll never know.

Certainly doesn't sound good for Marley. Looks like one of our locked in back six will be changing. Do we have anyone remotely as tough as him to step in and fill the breach?

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:53 am

I hope the club is drumming it in now to all the players to call the club if they get into trouble, exercise your right to say nothing until there is legal representation. I have lived in sw wa for more than 20 years and have seen how the system operates. It is harsh and racist. People in their armchairs in Melbourne have no idea what it is like, including the provocation Marley may have endured.
However, Marley is young, he was provoked, he has a bright future as a sportsman, and if he has had no previous offences, there may be a reluctance to jail him if there is an alternative.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:28 am

The bit that I don't understand was the whole standing with crossed arms being non threatening. It's a pretty common stance for someone expecting a confrontation and in no way inhibits someone from being aggressive or starting a fight. It's one of the things to look out for that says you're about to be attacked (not looking you in the eye is the other one).

To me it read like pre-emptive self defence, but I wasn't on the jury so unless I want to interview Marley myself I'll probably never know. FWIW, if he felt threatened it's better he spends a year in jail than have died or ended up in hospital himself. We have a shameful attitude towards self defence in this country.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 am

While I accept and to be honest partly expected this outcome I do hope we would have got the same verdict if he played for West Coast or Fremantle.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 am

Defender wrote:
He's not going to jail, relax, he'll get probation-community service but then he'll get slapped civilly, probably 50k or so.

Remember guys, the scumbag who king hit David Hookes walked.

If they locked up every 19 year old who threw a punch at a nightclub we'd need more space than Australia has, throwing only the one punch is in his favour.

This happened in WA.

Marley is a darker shade of white.

I don't share your optimism to be honest.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:38 am

Wokko wrote:
The bit that I don't understand was the whole standing with crossed arms being non threatening. It's a pretty common stance for someone expecting a confrontation and in no way inhibits someone from being aggressive or starting a fight. It's one of the things to look out for that says you're about to be attacked (not looking you in the eye is the other one).

To me it read like pre-emptive self defence, but I wasn't on the jury so unless I want to interview Marley myself I'll probably never know. FWIW, if he felt threatened it's better he spends a year in jail than have died or ended up in hospital himself. We have a shameful attitude towards self defence in this country.

I thought the victim had his back to Williams when struck?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:55 am

Sorry, didn't see this thread initially.

They said on the news this morning that Marley pleaded self-defence after being assaulted in the bathroom earlier in the night.

Doesn't sound like he had a very strong case, to me.

I don't think he will get jail time but rather a good behaviour bond and a decent fine.

I reckon they will go down the line of outstanding community work and good behavior since and all that jazz bla bla bla.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

swoop42 wrote:
Defender wrote:
He's not going to jail, relax, he'll get probation-community service but then he'll get slapped civilly, probably 50k or so.

Remember guys, the scumbag who king hit David Hookes walked.

If they locked up every 19 year old who threw a punch at a nightclub we'd need more space than Australia has, throwing only the one punch is in his favour.

This happened in WA.

Marley is a darker shade of white.

I don't share your optimism to be honest.

Yeah I think they call it black mans justice over there, they seem a bit behind the times.

Molest a child and you won't go to jail though, go figure.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 am

woftam wrote:
Defender wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
Can a jail term be appealed if that is what is handed down? Im
Not familiar with legal crap

Jail term isn't an option, suspended sentence-probation-community service are the options, I'm sure his victim will go him civilly though, 50k should suffice.

Remember the scumbag who king hit David hookes walked.

David Hookes case was here in Melbourne. Andrew Krakouer might be a better example & he went to jail. First offence. Jail term is a very very real option.

+1.

Jail very much is a real option.

He pleaded not guilty & according to the prosecution who argued jail not bail ought to be applied before his sentence is handed down, Williams has not shown remorse (by virtue of pleading not guilty I presume & arguing his defence accordingly that is, blaming the victim here).

In releasing Williams on bail the magistrate apparently noted the severity of sentencing options available here that is, it includes jail.

On the positive side for Williams, he was young, first offence & has done a lot of community work since.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

No good, he was always going to run the gauntlet going to trial. W.A. is a tough place for sentencing. I hope the club stands by the lad. I know he shouldn't have done what he did, but we are all human and stuff up.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15   

Jump to: