Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Death Penalty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Death Penalty
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Not Sure
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I really wanna spank the Monkey
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

A step down here might be 50 or 60 years in prison instead of life. Hardly "throwing the gates open", is it? Or "just releasing" someone because they're "so sorry"?

If you meant something different, then you need to try expressing yourself more clearly, rather than attacking posters for offering straightforward answers to what appear to be straightforward questions.

Too much sun old son?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Too much beer. We have his signed confession to that effect in another tread. Smile
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 pm

If you're imprisoned as a 30-something, as I think Adrian Bayley might have been, a 50- or 60-year sentence would still potentially see you out before you kicked the can. The point remains that there are several degrees of sentencing between life and immediate release.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Culprit wrote:
I hear and read that the executions won't mean anything. Barlow and Chambers were executed and the message was loud and clear about Bangkok. The same message will be loud and clear about Indonesia. You import large quantities of drugs into Indonesia and you get caught you will be facing the death penalty.

This is their Law, not ours. The only person I feel for out of the whole episode is Scott Rush's Father who dobbed them in to the AFP and in turn gave his son a life prison sentence.

Great post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:17 am

David in the nudie beach thread wrote:
You think devout westerners are impressed by this death penalty? I don't know how they cope with it—mutter to themselves about the end of civilisation, politely look the other way or accept it as part of the bargain of living in Muslim society—but, somehow, they do. Perhaps we could learn something from them.

I have swapped the words "westerners/muslims" to make a point.

I don't know how I did but somehow I did.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 am

1061 wrote:
You think devout westerners are impressed by this death penalty? I don't know how they cope with it—mutter to themselves about the end of civilisation, politely look the other way or accept it as part of the bargain of living in Muslim society—but, somehow, they do. Perhaps we could learn something from them.

Heheheheeheheheh well played

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:37 am

think positive wrote:
1061 wrote:

Heheheheeheheheh well played

Yep ever now and then he throws me a bone.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:01 am

^ And that's exactly the view that some cultural relativists might take—it's their country, and we should tolerate it accordingly. The difference is, of course, that some things should not be tolerated, and some people—me included—think that institutionalised murder is one of them.

I guess the rule is, does this phenomenon hurt anyone else? Public nudity on the beach doesn't; capital punishment most certainly does.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:20 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-may-boycott-indonesia-if-andrew-chan-and-myuran-sukumaran-are-executed-julie-bishop-20150213-13e5lp.html

Quote:
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has warned Australians may be moved to boycott Indonesia as a holiday destination if the executions of Australian men Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran go ahead.

What a load of Bullshit, one could only hope less bogans ventured there. Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Culprit wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-may-boycott-indonesia-if-andrew-chan-and-myuran-sukumaran-are-executed-julie-bishop-20150213-13e5lp.html

[quote]Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has warned Australians may be moved to boycott Indonesia as a holiday destination if the executions of Australian men Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran go ahead.[/quote]

What a load of Bullshit, one could only hope less bogans ventured there. Laughing
Oops. Too much data.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:50 pm

You have to love the born to rule mob showing so much concern when they don't give a shit. They sent them there lol
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Culprit wrote:
I hear and read that the executions won't mean anything. Barlow and Chambers were executed and the message was loud and clear about Bangkok. The same message will be loud and clear about Indonesia. You import large quantities of drugs into Indonesia and you get caught you will be facing the death penalty.

This is their Law, not ours. The only person I feel for out of the whole episode is Scott Rush's Father who dobbed them in to the AFP and in turn gave his son a life prison sentence.

Barlow and Chambers were caught in Kuala Lumpur which is in Malaysia. Bangkok is in Thailand which does not execute drug traffickers but they will probably execute the railway worker who raped and murdered an 8 year old girl and threw her out of a train. You actually get more jail time here for insulting the King than dealing drugs.

When you apply for a passport it comes with a leaflet from DFAT saying "Death penalties apply in some countries for drug smuggling". Your first risk minimisation strategy would be to avoid them.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:46 pm

David wrote:
^ And that's exactly the view that some cultural relativists might take—it's their country, and we should tolerate it accordingly. The difference is, of course, that some things should not be tolerated, and some people—me included—think that institutionalised murder is one of them.

I guess the rule is, does this phenomenon hurt anyone else? Public nudity on the beach doesn't; capital punishment most certainly does.

A very reasoned response, David - well done. I don't agree with capital punishment for many reasons, the simplest of which is that I don't think the powerful, fallible state should do anything to a citizen that is irreversible. However, I never understand the argument that it is institutionalised "murder". There is, to me, a clear difference between murder and the implicit contract that is made when someone breaks a well-understood law, the sanctions of which are known beforehand, and that person is then tried and convicted through an independent process with successive levels of appeal. I still don't agree with it, but I think it oversimplifies to call the death penalty "murder" in the sense that we usually use the term.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:50 pm

ronrat wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Barlow and Chambers were caught in Kuala Lumpur which is in Malaysia. Bangkok is in Thailand which does not execute drug traffickers but they will probably execute the railway worker who raped and murdered an 8 year old girl and threw her out of a train. You actually get more jail time here for insulting the King than dealing drugs.

When you apply for a passport it comes with a leaflet from DFAT saying "Death penalties apply in some countries for drug smuggling". Your first risk minimisation strategy would be to avoid them.

Too easy really isn't it

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

A very reasoned response, David - well done. I don't agree with capital punishment for many reasons, the simplest of which is that I don't think the powerful, fallible state should do anything to a citizen that is irreversible. However, I never understand the argument that it is institutionalised "murder". There is, to me, a clear difference between murder and the implicit contract that is made when someone breaks a well-understood law, the sanctions of which are known beforehand, and that person is then tried and convicted through an independent process with successive levels of appeal. I still don't agree with it, but I think it oversimplifies to call the death penalty "murder" in the sense that we usually use the term.

^ A post of great quality. Well said sir.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20   

Jump to: