Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Copeland Trophy Count

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiring is the word I would use —speech after speech with the one theme

Happy and wrapped to be playing at Collingwood and I rekon Sidey got it right

“ I feel I can give so much more “

Never have I been prouder and also impatient

Impatient for Round 1 next year

To all on Nicks we are so so fortunate to follow this club

piffdog 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 am

Question: was Moore really better in the finals than JDG? Darcy probably more consistent (Jordy wasn’t influential against Sydney). Jordy was great in the first 2 games.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 am

In the GB Medal he got 9 votes (3x3) whereas De Goey got 10 (2 fives and a zero), so I guess it doesn’t seem too implausible!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 am

Every one who followed Fly,s amazing speech all had positive in all they said

Sidey (who ain’t 26 lol) felt he wanted to do more & that was the agenda of every player that won an award then spoke

The feeling I had was of overwhelming pride and hope for more success

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:00 pm

piffdog wrote:
Question: was Moore really better in the finals than JDG? Darcy probably more consistent (Jordy wasn’t influential against Sydney). Jordy was great in the first 2 games.

True, Darcy was the most consistent across the three finals. After all, isn't the Copeland Trophy & Awards a recognition of the five players who consistently meet the requirements set out by the coaching group?

Lipinski finished 6th, far higher than the GB Medal and the reason I am sure is because he did what the coaches wanted from him consistently but what we see as fans is more of a workhorse and therefore doesn't get as much recognition. Darcy as well, just does his job every week. Howe too. All finished high in the Copeland but much lower in the GB.

MONCO: Your life.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:02 pm

Also, I must say that I expected Josh Daicos to finish Top 5 in the Copeland. I was very surprised that he didn't. I would have given him an award over Sidey or Howe. Nick was also stiff, but he got best young player so that was something.

MONCO: Your life.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 pm

Yeah matt I would love to know how they allocate votes ans the reasons for doing so
Not having a crack at Sidey but IMO he wasn’t our 5th best player across the season
I get players are assigned roles by the coaches and that is reflected in the voting
I had 8 of the top 10 right
Surprised both Daicos boys didn’t finish in front of Sidey and also no love for Elliott he couldn’t even make top 10
I had Lipinski higher than GB medal count I liked what he did most weeks
JDG averaged votes highly when he played had he played entire season he easily finishes top 3
Moore and Howe were solid all year really held thing together well under loads of pressure at times
I through crisp would win by a larger margin to be honest
Pendles on field coaching was obviously vital and added to his consistent performances no surprise he finished high again
14 out 17 seasons in top 3 thst has to be some sort of record for any club wouldn’t it ?
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:02 pm

piffdog wrote:

Moore clearly voted in all 3 games, while Jordy would have polled in 2 of them. Also had they put Moore on Franklin earlier, he would have been even more dominant than he was in the 2nd half and we probably would have won. Jordy against Sydney was quietish and the Sydney mids including his opponent were pretty damaging.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:16 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Yeah matt I would love to know how they allocate votes ans the reasons for doing so
Not having a crack at Sidey but IMO he wasn’t our 5th best player across the season
I get players are assigned roles by the coaches and that is reflected in the voting
Surprised both Daicos boys didn’t finish in front of Sidey and also no love for Elliott he couldn’t even make top 10
JDG averaged votes highly when he played had he played entire season he easily finishes top 3
Moore and Howe were solid all year really held thing together well under loads of pressure at times
Pendles on field coaching was obviously vital and added to his consistent performances no surprise he finished high again
14 out 17 seasons in top 3 thst has to be some sort of record for any club wouldn’t it ?

Remind us all again, how many times has Sidey finished top 5? You have no idea.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:48 pm

^ Here's some help - he's finished top 5 in 9 of the last 11 seasons:

2012 - 4th
2013 - 3rd
2014 - 2nd
2015 - 5th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 1st
2018 - 1st
2019 - 6th
2020 - (played only 9 games)
2021 - 5th
2022 - 5th
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:32 pm

EW Copeland never played a game of football—he was the club secretary who from the 1890,s to early 1920,s was responsible for making Victoria Park a VFL ground
Thru grants and donations he raised the first grandstand

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Remind us all again, how many times has Sidey finished top 5? You have no idea.

Just because people don’t agree with you doesn't mean they have no idea
I merely expressed my opinion I didn’t believe he was our 5th best player through out the entire season
I also stated I get we don’t know what roles coaches give players and that obviously reflects in the voting
It wasn’t a crack it was a opinion
Nicks GB voters obviously saw it closer to the way I saw it than you as he finished much lower down in that voting 10th to be exact
We are all aware of your bias towards Sidey you give him votes for arriving at the ground on time each week

While your reminiscing remind me when he received his vote for NAB rising star or where he finished in best 1st year player voting in 2009 ?
I’ll help you out he never received a nomination in his entire eligibility and he finished a distant third behind Beams the winner and Maccaffer in second
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Here's some help - he's finished top 5 in 9 of the last 11 seasons:

2012 - 4th
2013 - 3rd
2014 - 2nd
2015 - 5th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 1st
2018 - 1st
2019 - 6th
2020 - (played only 9 games)
2021 - 5th
2022 - 5th

What happened in season
2009/2010/2011 ?
In 2012 another draftee from the same class of 2008 won the Copeland and finished finished top 10 in the Brownlow, 2nd in the AFL Coaches votes and was a member of the All Australian Team all along side Swan and Pendles arguably our greatest 2 players since Buckley retired
It took Sidey 10 seasons to achieve his 1st AA and win a Copeland (it took Beams 4 seasons)
He’s never finished as high as 2nd in the coaches votes
By the time Sidey won his 1st B&F Beams had 2 under his belt
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:33 pm

^ I think you have missed the point of my post - which was, of course, how stupid it would have been to think that Sidebottom hadn't played well enough to finish 5th, since he's finished top 5 almost every season for the last decade and he was better this season than in some of those others.

You can make everything about Beams, if you want - but for the rest of us, he's just an historical footnote to the great Collingwood story.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:35 pm

Your misquoting me I never said he wasn’t good enough to finish 5th I said I thought other across the entire season others played better than him
It was a opinion was all
We can agree to disagree your never going to change your mind and that’s fine but in my opinion I didn’t have him in my top 5
I also said I didn’t understand how Elliott couldn’t finish in the top 10 either but again that is a opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: