Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

McLarty being delisted wasnt a surprise to me as soon as Madgen got a game before him. There were times when Madgen looked like a fish out of water ( which isnt a crack at him ) and yet MCLarty still couldnt get a game at a club devoid of talls.
Its true big guys can take a while to develop but there are even more that dont make it full stop.
I have been around the TAC Cup for a while and I cant express enough how tough it is for an 18 year old man child to make the grade against men.
Have a look at all the recent early first round talls who are struggling to make an impact at the top level. Recently Boyd, Schache, McCartin and Weitering to a lesser extent. Picking a 10 year tall early is tough but picking one late in a second round onwards is a crap shoot.
He seems a great young man, so I wish him all the best.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 pm

Crocker and Wills extremely lucky to have been offered a 2 year contract last year as was Reid.

All 3 must produce next year or it's see you later.

And I can't belive they delisted McClarty ahead of Madgen.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:41 pm

jatsad wrote:
And I can't belive they delisted McClarty ahead of Madgen.

One's on the primary list and one is a Cat B rookie. Delisting a Cat B rookie is not going to help our list management right now (which is about taking 5 live picks to the draft for points).

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Interesting decision on Murray... Considering I don't think the club did this for Thomas?
4everpies 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:55 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
Interesting decision on Murray... Considering I don't think the club did this for Thomas?

There was no choice but to keep Murray on the list. He had a contract for 2019 & has not yet had his hearing, therefore he could not be delisted.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 pm

4everpies wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

There was no choice but to keep Murray on the list. He had a contract for 2019 & has not yet had his hearing, therefore he could not be delisted.

I haven't been able to find any requirement in the AFL Rules that a contracted player must be listed. I doubt it is the case. The player's protection is the contract - he gets paid (if he can perform his side). The list is between the club and the AFL - the main thing being players cannot play unless listed.

4everpies 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:00 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
4everpies wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

I haven't been able to find any requirement in the AFL Rules that a contracted player must be listed. I doubt it is the case. The player's protection is the contract - he gets paid (if he can perform his side). The list is between the club and the AFL - the main thing being players cannot play unless listed.

But surely he can't be delisted if he's yet to be found guilty? I think the club's done the best it can do by putting him on the rookie list.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:16 pm

4everpies wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
4everpies wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

But surely he can't be delisted if he's yet to be found guilty? I think the club's done the best it can do by putting him on the rookie list.

He has elected provisional suspension (according to the afl.com.au article) so cannot train or play. My response to your Q is, surely the club cannot be expected to have a player who cannot train or play on their playing list?

There may be a rule, but I had a quick look in the likely spots and couldnt find one. He is actually being delisted from the primary list and exposed to other clubs in the rookie draft with a guarantee we will pick him up if no-one else does. Same happened with Oxley (not for ASADA reasons obviously) last year. Given that, he pretty clearly can be delisted even though contracted, the question is only whether the club must offer a rookie guarantee ... I suspect the answer is no.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:23 pm

^

Hawthorn just delisted Langford with 12 months to go on his contract, so it can be done.

Considering Murray isn't being paid while suspended ( I think) delisting him now to free up a primary list spot is smart, and rookie listing him until the ASADA investigation is complete is appropriate.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
McLarty being delisted wasnt a surprise to me as soon as Madgen got a game before him. There were times when Madgen looked like a fish out of water ( which isnt a crack at him ) and yet MCLarty still couldnt get a game at a club devoid of talls.
Its true big guys can take a while to develop but there are even more that dont make it full stop.
I have been around the TAC Cup for a while and I cant express enough how tough it is for an 18 year old man child to make the grade against men.
Have a look at all the recent early first round talls who are struggling to make an impact at the top level. Recently Boyd, Schache, McCartin and Weitering to a lesser extent. Picking a 10 year tall early is tough but picking one late in a second round onwards is a crap shoot.
He seems a great young man, so I wish him all the best.

I feel a bit differently to you. The fact that he made emergency in a couple of senior games in his second year as a 19 year old is surely an accolade. Madgen is 5 years older than McLarty so performed better because of his more mature body. Who's to know how McLarty would perform as a 24 year old in a few year's time. All you could say is that he wasn't ready to play senior football in 2018 and most likely wouldn't get any games in 2019. That's not to say though that if we persevered with him on our list he may have become a really handy player for us.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pm

McLarty - too slow and turned like a Chieftain tank.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Its really tough being an AFL player indeed for most AFL players. Most dont make it. I wish our Collingwood boys well for their futures.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 pm

With ? 5 delisted what does this mean for the draft and rookie draft?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:

We take 5 picks with points into draft and we draft 3-5 draftees which can include rookie upgrades (eg Mihocek). I suspect it will depend who is on the board for our late picks whether we draft or pass.

Quaynor
Kelly
Bosavulagi or someone else
[?]
[?]

If we go short then upgrading Mihocek becomes a viable option.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

We take 5 picks with points into draft and we draft 3-5 draftees which can include rookie upgrades (eg Mihocek). I suspect it will depend who is on the board for our late picks whether we draft or pass.

Quaynor
Kelly
Bosavulagi or someone else
[?]
[?]

If we go short then upgrading Mihocek becomes a viable option.

Thanks for that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 119 of 128   

Jump to: