Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I like the cut of Marley Williams' jib

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stinger 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seedsmeister wrote:
It doesn't look good for Marley at all.

This is a summary of WA sentences for GBH. All of them were imprisoned except for one case back in 1999.

http://www.dpp.wa.gov.au/_files/GBHs_297.pdf

How did you find this?
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 am

It seemed fairly obvious from the evidence summaries that he was guilty.

He really did himself no favours saying what he did to the coppers after being arrested. For me that is the lesson for the club: indoctrinate this into your players by any effective means; if you are arrested, just STFU until we get the best lawyer money can buy to your side. Even if you are sure you have done nothing wrong.

Not sure that pleading guilty might not have been a wiser path. Still, I'm no QC.

He was found guilty by his 'peers', a bunch of Western Australians. I'm sure not a single one of those dozen human beings derived any pleasure out of officially branding a Collingwood player a criminal.

Now we just need to hope that the sentencing judge either gives zero craps about football, or is a Collingwood supporter.

Hopefully Marley gets some Clement-sy in the form of a suspended sentence.

And pity the forward pocket who wants to sledge him for it in the future Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 am

Might have to spend this season doing strength and conditioning training and working on not going to ground in the wet.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:27 am

Wokko wrote:
Might have to spend this season doing strength and conditioning training and working on not going to ground in the wet.

Behind Bars?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 am

3rd degree wrote:
No good, he was always going to run the gauntlet going to trial. W.A. is a tough place for sentencing. I hope the club stands by the lad. I know he shouldn't have done what he did, but we are all human and stuff up.

Agree on both accounts.
Can’t defend Williams, he was found to be guilty and must pay the price. However, the club must show some real backbone and stick by the lad side by side, and not bend with the wind. If my son did that, I would be really upset, extremely disappointed and bloody disgusted with him but I will not forsake him and piss him off saying that my family is bigger than any individual. Rolling Eyes All the family members are equally important to me.
We must stick together.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
It He was found guilty by his 'peers', a bunch of Western Australians. I'm sure not a single one of those dozen human beings derived any pleasure out of officially branding a Collingwood player a criminal.

Perfect sarcasm....... Cool The jury of "WA peers" must have wet themselves with joy in finding a magpie player guilty. Exclamation Such is life...... Rolling Eyes
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Behind Bars?

I think that might have been the joke, Dave... Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 am

Flashman wrote:
Marley did the wrong thing and whatever sentence he receives should just be accepted.

Personally I'm sick of hearing about bullshit, stupid, drunken violence like this inflicted upon one another by immature men who should fukking well know better.

The Thomas Kelly and Daniel Christie deaths are tragedies that should be catalysts of change in how we as a society punish the actions that lead to them. The inadequate sentence Kelly's killer received rightfully outraged Australia and hoping Williams receives a slap on the wrist for causing a serious injury (that could've been even worse) just because he plays for us and might miss some games would be a total cop out.

Lets hope the club sticks by him whatever the sentence is and that Marley himself learns from this. No matter what , what he did as a highly trained, fit and strong athlete could've turned out a whole lot worse.

I agree with the general premis of you comments about any violence in any circumstances being unacceptable but do worry that the outcome of this case does send a message that it's okay for 3 blokes (or should that read pea brained drunken dipshit heroes) to assault a person in the toilets of a nightclub without recriminations. In fact the prosecution uses that assault as the motivating factor for GBH charge. Justice has to be seen to be done and there appears an imbalance in this case.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:52 am

Defender wrote:
He's not going to jail, relax, he'll get probation-community service but then he'll get slapped civilly, probably 50k or so.

Remember guys, the scumbag who king hit David Hookes walked.

If they locked up every 19 year old who threw a punch at a nightclub we'd need more space than Australia has, throwing only the one punch is in his favour.

I think a civil case is harder to prove given the provacation.
pablo 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
It seemed fairly obvious from the evidence summaries that he was guilty.

He really did himself no favours saying what he did to the coppers after being arrested. For me that is the lesson for the club: indoctrinate this into your players by any effective means; if you are arrested, just STFU until we get the best lawyer money can buy to your side. Even if you are sure you have done nothing wrong.

Not sure that pleading guilty might not have been a wiser path. Still, I'm no QC.

He was found guilty by his 'peers', a bunch of Western Australians. I'm sure not a single one of those dozen human beings derived any pleasure out of officially branding a Collingwood player a criminal.

Now we just need to hope that the sentencing judge either gives zero craps about football, or is a Collingwood supporter.

Hopefully Marley gets some Clement-sy in the form of a suspended sentence.

And pity the forward pocket who wants to sledge him for it in the future Wink

Justice is blind, just a little less blind for those who can afford the best legal representation?!?!?!?!?!?!

Are we now morally bereft supporters????

No, I'm sorry, I think the lesson here is for the club to educate our players on the severe consequences of hitting someone under any circumstances. As I said previously, duty of care and onus should rest with hitter.

I think the club should stick by this kid to whatever extent possible, but, he has now been found guilty in a court of law by a jury of his peers. He will need to live with society's decision on punishment.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 am

jackcass wrote:

On the balance of probabilities a harder burden of proof than beyond reasonable doubt?

Interesting.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

partypie wrote:
I hope the club is drumming it in now to all the players to call the club if they get into trouble, exercise your right to say nothing until there is legal representation. I have lived in sw wa for more than 20 years and have seen how the system operates. It is harsh and racist. People in their armchairs in Melbourne have no idea what it is like, including the provocation Marley may have endured.
However, Marley is young, he was provoked, he has a bright future as a sportsman, and if he has had no previous offences, there may be a reluctance to jail him if there is an alternative.

Couldn't agree more. Appears his statements immediately post incident may have counted against his defence.
pablo 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:59 am

die4pies wrote:
jackcass wrote:

On the balance of probabilities a harder burden of proof than beyond reasonable doubt?

Interesting.

LOL LOL

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am

Stinger wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:
It doesn't look good for Marley at all.

This is a summary of WA sentences for GBH. All of them were imprisoned except for one case back in 1999.

http://www.dpp.wa.gov.au/_files/GBHs_297.pdf

How did you find this?

Google search for GBH sentencing in WA, it comes up as one of the first few links.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

die4pies wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Interesting.

My point was that in a civil case there is more acknowledgement of apportionment of blame when considering damages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15   

Jump to: