Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big T wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
It was reasonable for Sidey and Beau to think was was not 15 and so play on. In the deafening roar it was the right decision to reiterate he had paid the mark and bring them back

100% that is what likely happened. Not 15.

The explanation doesn't align with how the game is umpired. While technically, what Laura Keane said might be correct (but I doubt it), umpires have paid 50 for when a player encroaches before the he/she has blown the whistle or called stand.

So if Keane is saying this was correct, she also saying that umpires have been wrong about 50 times this year.

Reality is, it should have been 50 once the umpires deemed he took the mark and didn't play on.

1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:55 am

^

Am I the only one who heard a secondary voice say “play on” when Scott took the mark?

On the Couch last night played the audio without commentary and I swear you can hear another voice say play on, obviously from another umpire who thought it didn’t travel 15.

BARRACK HARD!
aus50ford 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:49 am

Had so much fun yesterday, arguing that moment in the game

Looks like I'm in for rd 2 today .... bring it on

Go Pies !!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:34 am

1eyedpie wrote:
^

Am I the only one who heard a secondary voice say “play on” when Scott took the mark?

On the Couch last night played the audio without commentary and I swear you can hear another voice say play on, obviously from another umpire who thought it didn’t travel 15.

You are correct. I just watched the footage.

An umpire calls "play on, play on". The umpire who blew the whistle initially, then pays the mark.

Given that, the correct decision was to stop the play and award the mark assuming that's the senior umpire's decision.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:58 am

^I wonder if he was paid the 50 and kicked the goal of the public / media outcry would be the same? Would LK have acknowledged the play on call and Pies being dudded? I think not.
So I actually think LK has dudded the umpire, one called play on, controlling umpire didn’t and made the common sense decision to not pay a 50.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:56 am

I am just enjoying our win wholeheartedly, regardless Smile

How miserable the North people are after enjoying the footy for 3 quarters Smile
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:55 am

Only time i thought Pies would win was fishers miss with only 2 seconds left.
The miss actually hit the post and went through on the behind post side.
This match will be always remembered at the Madness at Mavel.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:35 am

Laura Kanes explanation was pretty damn good for me, sounded fine, the Norf player just decided to play on regardless, he got it forward, they had two shots at goal, could not ice it , so tough titties, even Clarko said they , Nth, should not have been in that position anyway, after a 54 point lead blown away. Laughed my arse off last night, at slobbo Robbo, an his wee ponce mate, Whately , crying like man babies over that 50 meter, both of em never played a game in their miserable lives. Joke.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:26 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

It’s funny you say that because while his last quarter ( and the later part of third quarter when the heat came off ) we’re good, I thought he and some others struggled with Norths pressure in the first half....

I thought all our younger players struggled to some extent with the pressure North applied in the first half. North's pressure really was a step up to what they had experienced up to then. Harrison also had a pretty poor first half and Dean struggled but fought hard when the ball came to him during North's frequent attacks inside the fifty. They may have felt a little complacent about what they thought were North's capacities too (a notion they would have soon lost). Sullivan, Harrison and McRae all dropped their heads after North's pressure led to them making mistakes and getting caught with the ball etc. It was a tribute to our leadership and coaching that we were able work them through that (well Sullivan and Harrison anyway), so they could come back into the game in the second half. Dean I think did well under the pressure, soaked it up and stuck to his game which was great to see. I think it was actually a great lesson for those players about what AFL at the highest level is really about and I think it was a necessary step in their development. As such I don't think its damaged Sullivan and Harrison's prospects at all. Finn McRae was the one who looked out of his depth and it was why he was the one subbed out.

I don't include Tew and Reef in this as their circumstances were different. I thought Tew handled the heat pretty well though he had a couple of moments too in that first half. Reef's situation was also different as he came on, kicked a goal quickly and thus asserted himself as another potentially dangerous forward option that would need to be marked in the North back's minds. That was important to Bobby as it gave him one less North back to worry about. Personally speaking I would like to see Reef get a lot more game time than he has been getting as I see his potential is huge.

Kreuger I thought did okay, played his role and was even able to be assertive around the ground. He is another one with a lot of upside. How did other posters assess his ruckwork? I thought Xerri easily dominated the hit outs when Kreuger was on the ball. Kreuger still needs a lot of work in that area (he is still better than Frampton in the ruck - Frampton may be versatile but he's not really a ruckman IMHO).

People are talking about the boys going out of the team as the injured seniors come back in. That is logical of course but not necessarily a given either. Of course when Pendles comes back someone will have to be demoted but Mitchell may take some time to come back after that operation. Injuries like that can be tricky healing and he isn't a guaranteed return when they say he is. Also his regaining his pre-injury form is not a given with an injury like that either.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:44 pm

^^^
That’s pretty much how I saw it. Even Lipinski looked a little off the pace early.
This was the perfect game to have learnt more about Richards had he been available. Of all our new faces, he strikes me as the one who has the tools to still shine under strong pressure. He has pace, good decision maker, dual sided ( kinda ) and ridiculously clean hands for a player who hadn’t come through the normal pathway. I’d be confident, further injuries aside, Richards will get another chance against good AFL opposition before the end of the home and aways. Then anything after that chance, rests entirely in his own hands.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:01 pm

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about the incident of Xerri getting a free for in the back.
The ball went over the boundary for a throw in. As it went over Jaith gave Xerri a little shove, which lead Xerri to keep running towards the fence then jump over it and hang over like he'd been shot!
He gets the free and kicks the goal (cracking goal BTW).
I was outraged. Did anyone else think he was staging?
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:06 pm

Her explanation was a nonsense .... they dont immedaite yell "play on" or "stand". Its always a couple of seconds before they say stand.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:25 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^
That’s pretty much how I saw it. Even Lipinski looked a little off the pace early...

He wasn't the only one either. Josh had a stinker of a first half and Noble was nowhere to be seen also. Sidey just wasn't quick enough at times in the first half intensity also. North's pressure was close to elite at times and we were lucky they couldn't keep it up in the second half. They are a team to watch I think (More so than Hawthorn I think).

Richards will certainly get his chances again soon I think. He is too good a player to be ignored. However the ones I want to be kept on the selection whiteboard for the season are Harrison and Reef (where possible) at this stage.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:28 pm

the fuzz wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about the incident of Xerri getting a free for in the back.
Did anyone else think he was staging?

He certainly did! Xerri is quite a smart player and he took his opportunity then for sure.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:11 pm

Haff wrote:
^I wonder if he was paid the 50 and kicked the goal of the public / media outcry would be the same? Would LK have acknowledged the play on call and Pies being dudded? I think not.
So I actually think LK has dudded the umpire, one called play on, controlling umpire didn’t and made the common sense decision to not pay a 50.

This 100% Haff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: