Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Checkers given two years, but dunno what the details are.

2019 and 2020, I hope. Wink
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:12 pm

inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Collingwood now hold picks 41, 44, 57, 59 and 60 - 5 vacant list spots.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-26/indicative-draft-order-your-clubs-latest-picks

don't forget the exalted pick 93

We only have 5 vacant spots so we will only take 5 picks in. That's the rule that was brought in to stop the stockpiling of picks for points purposes.

woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-26/indicative-draft-order-your-clubs-latest-picks

We only have 5 vacant spots so we will only take 5 picks in. That's the rule that was brought in to stop the stockpiling of picks for points purposes.

Don't we have 43 on our playing list? Max allowed is 47.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:51 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

I thought the rule is you can only use as many picks for points as list spots available.

So if we had 6 selections all worth points this season (93 obviously doesn't) we could only exhaust the points for the first 5 selections but the 6th pick could still be used as a live selection as long as it wasn't needed to match a bid that cost us points.

As an example if Atu is bid on from pick 57 onwards or not at all we could use pick 93 on him on draft night.

If you're right then we must be hoping pick 60 will only be pushed back to the end of the draft after matching for Quaynor or Kelly or we don't intend to take anyone outside them and an upgraded rookie.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

I thought the rule is you can only use as many picks for points as list spots available.

So if we had 6 selections all worth points this season (93 obviously doesn't) we could only exhaust the points for the first 5 selections but the 6th pick could still be used as a live selection as long as it wasn't needed to match a bid that cost us points.

As an example if Atu is bid on from pick 57 onwards or not at all we could use pick 93 on him on draft night.

If you're right then we must be hoping pick 60 will only be pushed back to the end of the draft after matching for Quaynor or Kelly or we don't intend to take anyone outside them and an upgraded rookie.

Here you go Swoop: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-abolishes-draft-loophole-that-allowed-clubs-to-gain-an-advantage-by-stockpiling-backend-picks/news-story/112f1b7e18eda1f3127038e1a48a1477

Picks used for points don't disappear they just get moved down the draft order - according to the Father Son Bidding document linked in the OP. Even if we match bids we can theoretically take up to 5 (in reality likely 4 because of commitments we have made to players re Cat A rookie list) draftees including those we match bids on.

AFL Rule 6.2 (d):

Number of Draft Selections
(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.11(a), 13.4(b), 14.4(d) and 15.8(b)); and
(B) no Club may exercise more than 3 Draft selections if the consequence would be that it would exceed the number of Players which it is entitled to include on its Primary List pursuant to these Rules.
(ii) If a Club, prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting, has committed to draft a Player at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting that Player will be deemed to be included on the Club’s Primary List when determining how many Draft selections a Club is entitled to exercise at the National Draft Selection Meeting.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 pm

woods_the_best wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Don't we have 43 on our playing list? Max allowed is 47.

Primary 38-40

Cat A 4-6

Primary plus Cat A = 44

We have 35 on the Primary (by my count previously posted) so 5 open Primary spots. Therefore a max of 5 National draftees. In practice we are probably limited to 4 as we have committed to 5 on our Cat A Rookie list and Primary + Cat A = 44.

58pie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks Blairy for 2010 & beyond . Hope you get a gig. Great draw with big games so we will need the backups with 6 day breaks. Go Beamsy - Go Pies
On the March 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-02/trading-firstround-picks-afls-most-misunderstood-rule-explained

This explains the rule pertaining to using your first round pick twice in four years. My take if we select Quaynor in the first round using what meagre picks we have - we have exercised a first round pick and meet the rule. How bazaar!

It would mean we could trade out our 2020 first round pick next year if we wanted to (I didn't say we would)
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:07 pm

On the March wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-02/trading-firstround-picks-afls-most-misunderstood-rule-explained

This explains the rule pertaining to using your first round pick twice in four years. My take if we select Quaynor in the first round using what meagre picks we have - we have exercised a first round pick and meet the rule. How bazaar!

It would mean we could trade out our 2020 first round pick next year if we wanted to (I didn't say we would)

They need to release the written determination by Andrew Dillon which is the actual rule. This article isn’t particularly helpful in that it makes no reference to the written determination and does not state who the source is.

There was never any doubt about matching a first round bid being a use of a first rounder (even if no first rounder is used for points). The main thing this article brings into doubt (contrary to the HS article linked in the OP which refers to the written determination) is whether you can always trade a current year 1st rounder.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 pm

How to forcibly retire (or clear from the list) injury-prone expensively contracted players, Sydney-style:

Swans reach rookie-list deal with Tippett

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/swans-reach-rookie-list-deal-with-tippett-20181109-p50ezm.html

"Sydney will retain Kurt Tippett on the club's rookie list in 2019 after reaching a deal with the forward/ruckman, who effectively retired from AFL football before the 2018 season.

The Swans have delisted Tippett and have committed to re-drafting him on the club's rookie list, in a move that will save Sydney some money in the club 's salary cap, although Tippett will still receive a significant payment for 2019.

Tippett had been contracted until the end of 2020 - in effect, having a further three years to run on the contract when he decided not to continue playing with the Swans as a result of injuries.

Clearly, Tippett has accepted a deal in which he will be paid only a portion of that contract. Tippett was understood to have a contract that would have paid him more than $2 million over those three years, but the Swans will not have to pay him for 2020 and will wipe the slate clean after retaining him on the rookie list in 2019.

The Swans felt it was preferable to keep Tippett on the rookie list. Typically a club saves about $80,000 from their salary cap when re-drafting an expensive player on to their rookie list.

Under the AFL rules, a player must remain on one of the lists - senior or rookie - if he is being paid.

The Swans could not reach a settlement and pay Tippett, who joined the club after the 2012 flag on a huge contract, without keeping him on the list, despite the reality that he will not play for them again."
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:24 pm

inxs88 wrote:
2019 delistings and retirements:

1. Ben Reid: retired
2. Tyson Goldsack: retired

3. Daniel Wells: retired

4. Lynden Dunn: retired
5. Levi Greenwood: retired
6. Ben Crocker: delisted
7. Rupert W: delisted

Tell me this isn't true. Surely this isn't factual. If Dunn & Greenwod have retired we're morons. Dunny was incredibly keen to play on, as were Goldy & Greenwood, one of the most effective taggers in the game.
But Wills & Crocks delisted? That is SHEER insanity. Our dumbest decision since the bloody idiotic succession. Croc took mark of the year late in the VFL season & took a huge leap to become twice the player he was, being among the best in the incredible games we played near the end of the season.

But WILLS?! God I hope you're wrong. Rupert Wills might be the best player in the AFL who DIDNT get a game in 2018, & could easily be a top 5 player. One of the longest kicks in the AFL, he's huge & has piles of skill, but is not one of 'Buckley's favourites'. Hence being emergency half a dozen times, but no games. Losing him would be the biggest cock-up since Kyle Martin, a brilliant young player, his numbers in his 5 Senior games show that, but again Buckley squashed his AFL dream & he gave up to play suburban footy, where he's still killing it.
Bucks has obviously improved, (though many think it's actually Justin Longmuir who made the difference, but at least Buckley has allowed others to take a bigger role) but his habit of having 'favourites' & his awful match committee cock ups cost us games & players, & almost certainly played a part in the GF loss.
Perhaps there's already a thread I missed, but I just found out that Tom Jok is training with StKilda. What the HELL IS wrong with us? Did we look at grabbing him? He could be a real gun with the right staff, why the HELL are we letting the bloody SAINTS pinch him?! If you've seen him play you KNOW what I mean.
God I hate delisting time. If we don't get Quaynor & Kelly (and hopefully Bosanavenalagi & Jok), I will bloody well spit chips!!
(I'll probably do that anyway)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:44 pm

35forever wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
2019 delistings and retirements:

1. Ben Reid: retired
2. Tyson Goldsack: retired

3. Daniel Wells: retired

4. Lynden Dunn: retired
5. Levi Greenwood: retired
6. Ben Crocker: delisted
7. Rupert W: delisted

Tell me this isn't true. Surely this isn't factual. If Dunn & Greenwod have retired we're morons. Dunny was incredibly keen to play on, as were Goldy & Greenwood, one of the most effective taggers in the game.
But Wills & Crocks delisted? That is SHEER insanity. Our dumbest decision since the bloody idiotic succession. Croc took mark of the year late in the VFL season & took a huge leap to become twice the player he was, being among the best in the incredible games we played near the end of the season.

But WILLS?! God I hope you're wrong. Rupert Wills might be the best player in the AFL who DIDNT get a game in 2018, & could easily be a top 5 player. One of the longest kicks in the AFL, he's huge & has piles of skill, but is not one of 'Buckley's favourites'. Hence being emergency half a dozen times, but no games. Losing him would be the biggest cock-up since Kyle Martin, a brilliant young player, his numbers in his 5 Senior games show that, but again Buckley squashed his AFL dream & he gave up to play suburban footy, where he's still killing it.
Bucks has obviously improved, (though many think it's actually Justin Longmuir who made the difference, but at least Buckley has allowed others to take a bigger role) but his habit of having 'favourites' & his awful match committee cock ups cost us games & players, & almost certainly played a part in the GF loss.
Perhaps there's already a thread I missed, but I just found out that Tom Jok is training with StKilda. What the HELL IS wrong with us? Did we look at grabbing him? He could be a real gun with the right staff, why the HELL are we letting the bloody SAINTS pinch him?! If you've seen him play you KNOW what I mean.
God I hate delisting time. If we don't get Quaynor & Kelly (and hopefully Bosanavenalagi & Jok), I will bloody well spit chips!!
(I'll probably do that anyway)

Relax. These “delistings” are 88’s predictions for NEXT year.

4everpies 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Geez 35forever chill. It's not healthy to be so angry all the time.
Too eager to rant rather than take the time to read the post properly.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:17 pm

4everpies wrote:
Geez 35forever chill. It's not healthy to be so angry all the time.
Too eager to rant rather than take the time to read the post properly.

He should go on Twitter as plenty of those on there

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 pm

McLarty:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/dumped-magpie-keeps-volcanic-news-in-perspective
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 122 of 128   

Jump to: