Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I like the cut of Marley Williams' jib

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seedsmeister wrote:
It doesn't look good for Marley at all.

This is a summary of WA sentences for GBH. All of them were imprisoned except for one case back in 1999.

http://www.dpp.wa.gov.au/_files/GBHs_297.pdf

Those documents are chilling reading.
It seems judges in WA do not shy away from imposing custodial sentences for GBH. The majority of cases all appear to be about intoxication and then a violent (sometimes a one punch) confrontation.
Gotta feel for Marley, but in all seriousness we need this stamped out of our society and how will we do this without the courts doing their job?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

jackcass wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Marley did the wrong thing and whatever sentence he receives should just be accepted.

Personally I'm sick of hearing about bullshit, stupid, drunken violence like this inflicted upon one another by immature men who should fukking well know better.

The Thomas Kelly and Daniel Christie deaths are tragedies that should be catalysts of change in how we as a society punish the actions that lead to them. The inadequate sentence Kelly's killer received rightfully outraged Australia and hoping Williams receives a slap on the wrist for causing a serious injury (that could've been even worse) just because he plays for us and might miss some games would be a total cop out.

Lets hope the club sticks by him whatever the sentence is and that Marley himself learns from this. No matter what , what he did as a highly trained, fit and strong athlete could've turned out a whole lot worse.

I agree with the general premis of you comments about any violence in any circumstances being unacceptable but do worry that the outcome of this case does send a message that it's okay for 3 blokes (or should that read pea brained drunken dipshit heroes) to assault a person in the toilets of a nightclub without recriminations. In fact the prosecution uses that assault as the motivating factor for GBH charge. Justice has to be seen to be done and there appears an imbalance in this case.

Brilliantly put. Makes a lot of perfect sense Daz. The perception of fair and equitable justice is as important as the justice served.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 am

pablo wrote:
Justice is blind, just a little less blind for those who can afford the best legal representation?!?!?!?!?!?!

Are we now morally bereft supporters????

No, I'm sorry, I think the lesson here is for the club to educate our players on the severe consequences of hitting someone under any circumstances. As I said previously, duty of care and onus should rest with hitter.

I think the club should stick by this kid to whatever extent possible, but, he has now been found guilty in a court of law by a jury of his peers. He will need to live with society's decision on punishment.

I'm happy for you to disagree with my point of view, but implying that I am 'morally bereft' because of it is a little rough. The mods don't like it when folk 'play the man'.

I get in trouble for it all the time.

I think walking into a debate about the courts and justice system with a bagful of moral idealism and self-righteousness is asking to be disillusioned. The system doesn't care about morals, it cares about itself. There are countless mechanisms within the justice system which seem totally counter-intuitive to anyone who thinks true, natural justice ought to be the goal of that system.

So when someone I care about finds themselves at the mercy of that system I just want to see them play the game, and play it as well as possible. If that means telling fibs and then getting off even though they are guilty, then good luck to them. That's how the system works. It isn't up to the latest defendant to change that, it's up to the judges and the QCs. And they aren't going to bother.

Because they are, largely, morally bereft.

So why should a bunch of Collingwood supporters be held to a higher standard than the judges and barristers?

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Stinger wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

This is a summary of WA sentences for GBH. All of them were imprisoned except for one case back in 1999.

How did you find this?

I just googled 'Grevious body harm WA' and it was one of the first hits.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
pablo wrote:
Justice is blind, just a little less blind for those who can afford the best legal representation?!?!?!?!?!?!

No, I'm sorry, I think the lesson here is for the club to educate our players on the severe consequences of hitting someone under any circumstances. As I said previously, duty of care and onus should rest with hitter.

I think the club should stick by this kid to whatever extent possible, but, he has now been found guilty in a court of law by a jury of his peers. He will need to live with society's decision on punishment.

I'm happy for you to disagree with my point of view, but implying that I am 'morally bereft' because of it is a little rough. The mods don't like it when folk 'play the man'.

I think walking into a debate about the courts and justice system with a bagful of moral idealism and self-righteousness is asking to be disillusioned. The system doesn't care about morals, it cares about itself. There are countless mechanisms within the justice system which seem totally counter-intuitive to anyone who thinks true, natural justice ought to be the goal of that system.

So when someone I care about finds themselves at the mercy of that system I just want to see them play the game, and play it as well as possible. If that means telling fibs and then getting off even though they are guilty, then good luck to them. That's how the system works. It isn't up to the latest defendant to change that, it's up to the judges and the QCs. And they aren't going to bother.

So why should a bunch of Collingwood supporters be held to a higher standard than the judges and barristers?

sadly, very true

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

sixpoints wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

Those documents are chilling reading.
It seems judges in WA do not shy away from imposing custodial sentences for GBH. The majority of cases all appear to be about intoxication and then a violent (sometimes a one punch) confrontation.
Gotta feel for Marley, but in all seriousness we need this stamped out of our society and how will we do this without the courts doing their job?

Highly unlikely the vast majority of those offenders were first offenders.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Well now, I guess we can put this thread to bed for sometime, say 3 years ??

Such is Life.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:17 pm

I guess someone didn't like the cut of his left jab?
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
pablo wrote:

I'm happy for you to disagree with my point of view, but implying that I am 'morally bereft' because of it is a little rough. The mods don't like it when folk

'play the man'.

I think walking into a debate about the courts and justice system with a bagful of moral idealism and self-righteousness is asking to be disillusioned. The system doesn't care about morals, it cares about itself. There are countless
mechanisms within the justice system which seem totally counter-intuitive to
anyone who thinks true, natural justice ought to be the goal of that system.

This is one thousand percent true. All of it. Our justice systemis a complete joke. It has been used by lawyers to destroy my life. It is all about how much money you have got, how many delays you can cause, what lies you can hide and get away with. There are so many unwritten rules, nods, winks and bullshit it is unbelievable. Don't anyone think this system gets things right all of the time or even most of the time. Lawyers get super rich and innocent people go to jail or are financially ruined forever. I have no respect for this system anymore and thinking it works well is a complete fairy tale.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 pm

I just hope politics are kept out of this when it comes to his sentencing.

Politicians have jumped on the issue of one punch crimes in recent months and I'm sure some would like nothing more than the opportunity of using a high profile person to show they are getting tough on crime when it comes to this type of offence.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 pm

I wish politics would be kept out of convictions and sentencing. But fat chance. You can bet there will plenty of political considerations the more media exposure it gets. There are innocent people in jail right now who should have retrials or exoneration but simply can't because media exposure has made it too hard for politicians to allow justice to happen.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
I guess someone didn't like the cut of his left jab?

And a very good left jab it appears to be.

Williams vs Williams? Sonny Bill vs Marley for the Aus heavyweight title?

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:

Of the offenders listed in that document the only one remotely close to Marley's offence, received a suspended sentence on appeal.

pablo 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:20 am

Hey Breadcrawl

Didn't actually intend to play the man, so sorry.

The world just seems a pretty unjust place right now.

The concept of a fair go seems dead.... after all, the age of entitlement is over.

Anyway, sorry again, no personal animosity toward you at all.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:29 am

pablo wrote:

The world just seems a pretty unjust place right now.

The concept of a fair go seems dead.... after all, the age of entitlement is over.

It always has been actually. Ever since we came out of the slime it has been a survival of the fittest. It always amazes me that people assume differently. Where does the concept of fairness even arise in a totally random universe? We have been deluding ourselves too long.

Pity for Marley. But pity all of us in this godless universe.

Last edited by collie dog on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15   

Jump to: