Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

National and Rookie Drafts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping we can snare Atu also as he looks a likely type if you're after a small pressure/crumbing forward.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:33 am

E wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
"The Crows ... have a history of playing the villain by bidding early draft picks to keep clubs honest."

In layman's terms, the Crows have a history of being spiteful a-holes.

Yep but they say they making sure Clubs play at least Market Value for there Academy and Father Son Prospects

The crows currently hold 8, 13 and 16 and not likely to change.
They won’t pick Quaynor with 8. They would probably pick Hately ( local big bodied ball magnet ) before Quaynor at 13 if he was still there. If Hately was already gone, then the earliest they would call out Quaynor would be 13 and that’s no biggie from the points situation. Also remember, if Thomas and Blakey are called out before pick 13 ( which will happen ) then the Crows original pick 13 converts to 15 and that’s about right for Quaynor anyway.

The first 9 / 10 players pick themselves in this draft and Quaynor won’t be one of them. Take it to the bank.

They could try to grab both Quaynor AND Kelly at 8or even at pick 13.

Since both Quaynor and Kelly are first (or early second) rounders, and we dont have a pick until the third round, our alternative to Quaynor and Kelly, is, well, no one. Everyone knows it. at least if we had an early second round pick, the other team would know that we would at least have the option of passing on Quaynor.

A lot of teams are in this predicament as well (i think the dogs and the swans and the kangas).

This will be an interesting draft, because we haven't even created the illusion of leverage here.

I will be interested to see if etiquette prevails (and players are picked roughly where they belong), or if we see some really anomalistic/predatory behavior. I guess the question is whether its worth it to a team to do something vindictive just to put us into deficit.

As it is, all we will have to lose is a second and third round pick next year. Arguably, its not that big a deal (although are there any father/sons we wont be able to access?).

It feels like we have made some moves this year that takes us completely out of next years draft altogether. Next year, maybe we use trade and free agency to the extent we need to bring in more players.

I'd had similar thoughts. Our hand is virtually certain for this draft. I am not sure that we'd pick both players with pick 8 if Adelaide swept in.

Given also that Adelaide is most likely to have first crack at Blakey and Tarryn Thomas, would they then line up and also list Quaynor and Kelly at pick 8? That would be a lot of heat they'd be taking on - to play the role of cop to keep so many clubs honest. They'd have a hard time trading with clubs in future if they became known as the AFL's 'sniper' club.

If I was Collingwood, under that scenario, I'd pick up Quaynor, let Kelly go and make Adelaide regret using pick 8 on him. Adelaide may have his brother, but clearly he'd be a flight risk back to Collingwood in time given he is a keen Pies supporter and his parents live in Vic. Plus, it's not like the Crows are desperate for KPP stocks - Walker, Jenkins, Lynch up forward, Talia, Hartigan, Keath, Doedee down back. They need mids and smaller types more.

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 am

Check this article by Jake Niall arguing against the fairness of NGA recruits:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dubious-world-of-afl-s-next-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx.html

Particularly this sentence...
"Forget that Gold Coast are starting again from near scratch after eight years of failure, that Brisbane have been marooned around the bottom for years and that the Giants remain a fragile operation and have acted as a farm team for the Pies."

So we are the only club getting GWS players? Carlton anyone? Essendon? Amazingly biased reporting. What a pathetic rag The Age is.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 am

Merry Christmas folks ... I wonder what’s under the tree.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:06 am

So can one listen to the draft on SEN this year?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 am

bally12 wrote:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dubious-world-of-afl-s-next-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx.html

"Forget that Gold Coast are starting again from near scratch after eight years of failure, that Brisbane have been marooned around the bottom for years and that the Giants remain a fragile operation and have acted as a farm team for the Pies."

So we are the only club getting GWS players? Carlton anyone? Essendon? Amazingly biased reporting. What a pathetic rag The Age is.

Same old same old Collingwood bashing, when other teams are doing the same or worse. This article was AFL sponsored, by the way. No way Jake came up with this by himself. GC, Brisbane, GWS are the poor victims, it's no coincidence. Wink
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
"The Crows ... have a history of playing the villain by bidding early draft picks to keep clubs honest."

Yep but they say they making sure Clubs play at least Market Value for there Academy and Father Son Prospects

The crows currently hold 8, 13 and 16 and not likely to change.
They won’t pick Quaynor with 8. They would probably pick Hately ( local big bodied ball magnet ) before Quaynor at 13 if he was still there. If Hately was already gone, then the earliest they would call out Quaynor would be 13 and that’s no biggie from the points situation. Also remember, if Thomas and Blakey are called out before pick 13 ( which will happen ) then the Crows original pick 13 converts to 15 and that’s about right for Quaynor anyway.

The first 9 / 10 players pick themselves in this draft and Quaynor won’t be one of them. Take it to the bank.

Okay Robbo!!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:

Their tight asses at the contract table:

* Nathan Bock
* Charlie Cameron
* Phil Davis
* Mitch McGovern
* Jack Gunston
* Paddy Dangerfield
* Ivan Maric
* Jarrod Lyons
* Marty Mattner etc...

all say hello!!!

Now their recalcitrants at the National draft!!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:16 pm

bally12 wrote:

Strange as Jake is a good (closet) Pies man. The more perplexing rule in history is how Nick Blakey whose father John played:

* 135 matches for Roys
* 221 for Roos

Hence being eligible for father/son at both those clubs, is "RORTINGLY" zoned to Swans because his old man has lived and has been an Assistant Coach in that city for years. This ruling supersedes career crimes by Nickelback, Trump, Obama Care, Bon Jovi and Grant Denyer!

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Taken from bigfooty and perhaps MightyMagpie can shed more light on the matter.

Pie 4 Life, post: 58884264, member: 8328 wrote:
We wouldn't be able to match Kelly if you bid on both in the first round. You would get him.

Why?

Because we have traded away our 2019 1st round selection and it's against the rules?

If you are basing your assumption on points deficit then going by this article http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-12/afl-closes-draft-bidding-system-loophole (granted from 2015) we would presently have 741 season 2019 points up our sleeve on top of this years 1260.

Total 2001 points.

So if for example Adelaide were to bid on Quaynor at 13 (bid matched) and then Kelly immediately after at 14 by my calculations that would equate to 1898pts after the 20% discount so we could acquire both players.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Who else would get him ?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:53 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Taken from bigfooty and perhaps MightyMagpie can shed more light on the matter.

Pie 4 Life, post: 58884264, member: 8328 wrote:
We wouldn't be able to match Kelly if you bid on both in the first round. You would get him.

Why?

Because we have traded away our 2019 1st round selection and it's against the rules?

If you are basing your assumption on points deficit then going by this article http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-12/afl-closes-draft-bidding-system-loophole (granted from 2015) we would presently have 741 season 2019 points up our sleeve on top of this years 1260.

Total 2001 points.

So if for example Adelaide were to bid on Quaynor at 13 (bid matched) and then Kelly immediately after at 14 by my calculations that would equate to 1898pts after the 20% discount so we could acquire both players.

There is a limit to going into deficit (= points for pick #18 from memory), but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to acquire both.

Clearly there are holes in the [unpublished] rules, for example the limit above seems to assume you would have your first rounder the following year (which we obviously don't).

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Who else would get him ?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:03 pm

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-draft-2018-gary-buckenara-names-his-top-50-draft-prospects/news-story/fed0b035e5482fd13b98537578ea559a

Buckenara now has Quaynor at 11 and Kelly at 24.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So can one listen to the draft on SEN this year?

I would assume SEN 1116 have it, but I can't be 100% certain.

If you don't have Foxtel, the AFL website and app have live coverage of the event as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 14 of 24   

Jump to: