Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jatsad wrote:
bally12 wrote:
Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Maynard, you are awesome mate. We need more like you.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Lynch, I've seen a few times before, and I don't think he's up to the standard.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
WHE...would love if he had more grunt but it's not going to happen.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Time to have a look at the Murphy kid.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
Stop playing like friggin robots.

I agree with everything you have said except one. Don't see the hate for Noble. I was a critic of his when he started but he has improved out of sight. And he has a go, unlike others. His backward handballing is dumb-arse game plan following so don't blame him for that. I would be playing him on a wing where he can just run. This may happen when/if Howe returns.

I also don't understand the angst some have for John Nobel. I think he has improved this year and provides a lot of run and delivery from the defense. His one-on-one contests seem to be getting better and apart from an annoying stat that seems to be all to regular in that his direct opponent seems to kick a lot of goals I'm yet to see it as being Nobel's fault all the time. Maybe I'm being too soft on him?
I think he tends to be a sure handler of the ball with minimum fumbles in pressure situations and his durability and fitness seem elite. He adds some speed to a relatively one paced defense so I hope he continues to improve, which he should given he has not yet played more than 30 games of AFL.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
I dont buy the 5 day break vs 12. Not yesterday. They were 2 down on the bench and we had all the momentum in the last. 15 to 4 inside 50s so it wasn’t a problem of getting the pill.

Too many players have poor skills and many make poor decisions under pressure. Unfortunately this is not a quick fix we will have to go to the draft and look for good ball users.

They say Bianco is a good ball user, well if he is then he must come in to give him a taste, dont go to Varcoe as a replacement for Tom (I ran 10km for 5 kicks) Philips.

I don’t buy too many players have poor skills. Fatigue creates poor skills. Compare our skills to earlier in the season when we had reasonable breaks between games and equal to the opposition. Kicks hit targets, smarter decisions. We looked tired last night, and there’s a reason for that.
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:32 pm

didick wrote:
Was WHE even on the ground last night?

I think I saw him hiding behind a pointpost, completely covering his frame
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:35 pm

bally12 wrote:
Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Maynard, you are awesome mate. We need more like you.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Lynch, I've seen a few times before, and I don't think he's up to the standard.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
WHE...would love if he had more grunt but it's not going to happen.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Time to have a look at the Murphy kid.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
Stop playing like friggin robots.

Need Grundy to put back on the 10kg he lost

And need Moore to play fwd as the relieving mark is just as important as the intercept mark

Last edited by CakeWalkin on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm

didick wrote:
I don’t get the Noble love. I was at the game last week and the cleanest he is when he boots it long. His sideways and backwards kicks and hand passes miss so often and put his team mates under pressure. Same last night. Lots of run, yeah, but who gives a shit. Still early in the career so I hope he improves. If better judges than I like bucks and the selection committee see better in him than fair enough. Just can’t see it myself.

I'd trust his disposal more than Sam Murray's, and there was a lot of Murray love in 2018.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm

El Popo wrote:
Lets not be too negative. we were missing 4 of our top ten players

If we play the Lions in the GF and had

available, I'd back us to win

If we'd had even mediocre -- not good, just mediocre -- injury management in the last 9 years, the decade might not have been wasted.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 pm

bally12 wrote:

When he tapped it far enough to an outside contest last night, it went straight to Lachie Neale.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:11 pm

^ That's because our mids are too slow. Why do people struggle with this concept? The reason Grundy doesn't bash the ball into the clear is because the opposition almost always ends up with the ball. He brings it to ground because the team's plan is to nullify our mids' lack of pace.

For goodness' sake, we have two premiership-standard mids (Pendlebury and Sidebottom) and they are both slow as coaches. The other guys lack the talent to get it done (and some of them are too slow, as well).
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
I dont buy the 5 day break vs 12. Not yesterday. They were 2 down on the bench and we had all the momentum in the last. 15 to 4 inside 50s so it wasn’t a problem of getting the pill.

Too many players have poor skills and many make poor decisions under pressure. Unfortunately this is not a quick fix we will have to go to the draft and look for good ball users.

They say Bianco is a good ball user, well if he is then he must come in to give him a taste, dont go to Varcoe as a replacement for Tom (I ran 10km for 5 kicks) Philips.

I don’t buy too many players have poor skills. Fatigue creates poor skills. Compare our skills to earlier in the season when we had reasonable breaks between games and equal to the opposition. Kicks hit targets, smarter decisions. We looked tired last night, and there’s a reason for that.

But we didn’t fade out. We got stronger once two thighs happened.

Phillips went off injured
We stopped hand balling as much. We still hand balled too much but we started kicking the ball forward.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 pm

CakeWalkin wrote:
didick wrote:
Was WHE even on the ground last night?

I think I saw him hiding behind a pointpost, completely covering his frame

14 games 9 goals so far in 2020.
That is just over a half per game.
Laid very few tackles. Just over 10 touches per match.
Again another forward who is getting beaten.
What is his role???
IS it a lead up forward.......What is it?
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Geez I didn't think Noble was too bad at all, surprised by some of the criticism...he's 21-22 level player, and think he did alright within that context

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 pm

JT seemed to go missing though, given his good game last week, may have had a different role but rarely saw him at the feet of Cox up forward.

WHE: What can you say? Has the talent and endurance, just gets to where the ball ain't far too often

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:57 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Geez I didn't think Noble was too bad at all, surprised by some of the criticism...he's 21-22 level player, and think he did alright within that context

Given his limited ability ... I thought he was great.
He knows where to go to find the ball.
Deserves a pat on the back.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:27 pm

Easily the worst game I have watched this year and believe me there have been plenty of dog-awful games.

Right now I am watching a reply of Nth Melb v Carl in the 80s and Geelong v St Kilda in 1991. Anyone who says the game is better today than it was then is on drugs (really strong LSD). Seriously, you want fast, these games were fast. You want long kicking. Plenty of it. High marks - everywhere. You want contests, every single pay was a contest.

The game of AFL footy today is seriously crap, crap, crap. Last night I saw us play ring-a-ring-a-rosy all night. We are slow as treacle. Players can't jump. Marking is a dead art. Long kicks are defined as anything over 20 metres. The umpiring is awful. Watch those old games and see how good the umpiring was - and no goal reviews.

Collingwood 2020 is merely a symptom of everything that is wrong with sport in the mad world. Nothing is as good as it ever was. The poor kids of today simply don't understand what they are missing.

I can't imagine what Port Adelaide are going to do to us. They are a genuine hard side this year. We are weak as warm butter. And don't get me started with the coach. His one big move in the last quarter was to take our best defender and put him forward. That was as good as conceding the game there. Get a new coach Collingwood or spend the next 20 years begrudging all the other premiership sides.
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:32 pm

shawthing wrote:
Easily the worst game I have watched this year and believe me there have been plenty of dog-awful games.

Right now I am watching a reply of Nth Melb v Carl in the 80s and Geelong v St Kilda in 1991. Anyone who says the game is better today than it was then is on drugs (really strong LSD). Seriously, you want fast, these games were fast. You want long kicking. Plenty of it. High marks - everywhere. You want contests, every single pay was a contest.

The game of AFL footy today is seriously crap, crap, crap. Last night I saw us play ring-a-ring-a-rosy all night. We are slow as treacle. Players can't jump. Marking is a dead art. Long kicks are defined as anything over 20 metres. The umpiring is awful. Watch those old games and see how good the umpiring was - and no goal reviews.

Collingwood 2020 is merely a symptom of everything that is wrong with sport in the mad world. Nothing is as good as it ever was. The poor kids of today simply don't understand what they are missing.

I can't imagine what Port Adelaide are going to do to us. They are a genuine hard side this year. We are weak as warm butter. And don't get me started with the coach. His one big move in the last quarter was to take our best defender and put him forward. That was as good as conceding the game there. Get a new coach Collingwood or spend the next 20 years begrudging all the other premiership sides.

Moore moving fwd should have happened at the start of the year!

Intercept marking/Stopping goals vs Creating a contest/Relief marking from kickouts/Kicking goals

Reactive vs Proactive

Take your pick

Fortune Favours the Brave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 14 of 19   

Jump to: