Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the 65 answers
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Well done!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 pm

David wrote:
I just watched Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanours again. I was wondering if I'd still like it the second time around, but was really impressed with it. The ending in particular is excellent.

Great film.

Have you seen "Zelig" & "The Front" ? - the latter wasn't directed by Allen but both worth watching.

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:32 pm

I've seen Zelig not one of my favourites, but certainly a clever concept. I put The Front on at the video store one day and half-watched it; looked interesting (and an unusual dramatic role from him too).

Some of my favourite Allen films (apart from Crimes and Misdemeanours) are:

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
Deconstructing Harry
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 pm

David wrote:
I've seen Zelig not one of my favourites, but certainly a clever concept. I put The Front on at the video store one day and half-watched it; looked interesting (and an unusual dramatic role from him too).

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
Deconstructing Harry
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Yes, I think "Crimes and Misdemeanours" is his masterpiece. Love and Death is also a favourite (Keaton : "and now you're dead ! What's it like ?" Allen : "you know the chicken at Tresky's restaurant ? .... It's worse").

I also love the Purple Rose of Cairo, which is both funny and sad. Midnight in Paris was also really good. The Hemingway character still makes me laugh. Finally, that wonderful scene at the very start of Stardust Memories is one that Ms Mugwump and I still quote freely to one another when occasion demands. It's a classic.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption.......... again.
Funny, I've probably seen it about a half dozen times, but have never actively sought it out. It's just one of those movies you can't take your eyes off when it happens to be on.
So, after a bit of channel surfing I just sat through it from 2.00-4.25am on Jan 1, with no intention of doing so. Lol.

Geez I must be getting old. Laughing

I've never actually seen it.

Your kidding? That should be illegal, go get a copy or download it, you will love it, it's got everything, drama, intrigue, humour, not action but violence! And simply the best endings ever, it's just a brilliant movie, casting, scenery, everything. When it's on telly, you just can't flick past it!

yeah, Nah, Maybe.

Is it as good as Cobra? Razz

Not many movies don't come across as cornet a few years later, this is one, just like the fugitive it's still very watchable, give it a go, you will love it

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:01 pm

We are not big movie watchers but finally watched Hotel Rwanda the other night ( we didn't want to see it before we went - dunno why) Enjoyed is probably not the correct term but it captured very well the events and history of a sad time in what we found a beautiful country.

It wasn't till we visited that we realised that it was white Western Catholics looking to convert the locals who initially made the distinction between the Tutsi and Hutu and favoured the Hutu cause they were more amenable to being" converted" . Ah religion - AGAIN!

Anyway thought it was well done and well worth watching.

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
Deconstructing Harry
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Yes, I think "Crimes and Misdemeanours" is his masterpiece. Love and Death is also a favourite (Keaton : "and now you're dead ! What's it like ?" Allen : "you know the chicken at Tresky's restaurant ? .... It's worse").

I also love the Purple Rose of Cairo, which is both funny and sad. Midnight in Paris was also really good. The Hemingway character still makes me laugh. Finally, that wonderful scene at the very start of Stardust Memories is one that Ms Mugwump and I still quote freely to one another when occasion demands. It's a classic.

Are you referring to "jazz heaven"? That is great. Laughing

Some writers and filmmakers don't do self-referential well, but I think Stardust Memories is my favourite of all his films. Seems like his most ambitious, too, in terms of its ideas and cinematography.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:43 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
Deconstructing Harry
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Not sure if has anything to do with jazz heaven, but it's this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWD5NXPIRuo

Once you have watched it, you find no end of scenarios in life which can be summed up with "this is like being in the first scene of Stardust Memories"

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
Deconstructing Harry
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Not sure if has anything to do with jazz heaven, but it's this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWD5NXPIRuo

Once you have watched it, you find no end of scenarios in life which can be summed up with "this is like being in the first scene of Stardust Memories"

Hmm, I watched it, I can honestly say, I've never lived it!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

^ Ever walked through the business class section on your way to an economy seat for a flight from the UK to Australia ? I always think this scene sums up that feeling well.... and quite a few similar things.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm really looking forward to watching this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA

And this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04&feature=youtu.be The chick who plays Harley Quinn looks like she can do the role, which would be a serious stretch for anyone.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Yep I'm looking forward to seeing Suicide Squad as well.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:29 am

I watched Obsessed with Laura, it stars Ali Larter, Beyonce and Ibris Elba.

Ali Larter is a temp at an office and she gets a bit interested in Ibris, who is married to Beyonce with a child, at a Christmas Party she tries to get him to sleep with her and he knocks her back. She keeps on there but wont let up he storms out of the party. Next time they're together in his car she's in her lingerie and he rejects her again.

She keeps obsessing over him and all that at the hotel and all, then attempts suicide and then makes up there was an affair, etc, then starts to stalk him and all that. His wife leaves him and all that, then the stuff happens when they get back together the girls obsession gets worse.

It wasn't a bad film, won't give much more away but I didn't think I'd like it, I got it for Laura for her birthday so we watched it and it was good.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 am

^ It's amazing how many times films have returned to that trope. Maybe as a means of scaring married men into staying monogamous. Laughing

There's a great French film from the early 1970s called The Mother and the Whore which has a loosely similar premise but ends up deconstructing that narrative (of the pure, maternal, mostly sexless woman at home and the dangerous, sexually appealing, immoral 'homewrecker').

This probably needs to be seen in the context of the film it's one of the final scenes but it's worth seeing nonetheless just as an example of a great film monologue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-WE-g-v8A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 134 of 240   

Jump to: