Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdally wrote:
I tend to agree. I don't see the Yeo need. His body struggles to hold up and he is only getting older. Was a great player 6 years ago, but his body has failed him since.

Barass is a good key back, but I think Battle from the Saints would be the better option. No trade required and he is 3 years younger.

I think Bailey Smith would still be on our radar as well.

Agree, Yeo's barely been on the park for any meaningful duration over the past 6 years. If WCE are looking to dump his salary or a good part of it, I'd still get the medical department to put Yeo through a test.
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=22f9a0

I reckon Battle will end up at the Hawks, they'll have the draft points currency to get that done.
Is there an immediate need? I'd persevere with Dean, although that means giving up 100 games experience.
With Howe in the departure lounge, that's a position we need to fill with greater certainty, while we develop Jiath.
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=2dbf76

Bailey Smith, I'm not convinced on. I reckon his persona has swelled his value. I wouldn't be paying overs for a player that is a below average kick. He's a good outside distributor but I reckon he'd need to bring more than that. Maybe someone with better insight to his on-field value could elaborate.
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=1408732

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:06 pm

^ in regard to Bailey Smith I agree, media hype and his actual player output and two very different things...aside from his amazing finals series effort in 2017 what else has he done???
I will add, something does net feel right about his off feild persona. Feels very self promotional..and I wonder if this is affecting his on feild output.
Not worth the dollar value attached. He is also not in the 'key needs' ...just another midfielder.

Will be very disappointed if the club gets him

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:54 pm

derkd wrote:
^ aside from his amazing finals series effort in 2017 what else has he done???

Mate he wasn't drafted until 2018, played his first game in 2019 season.

Comparable player, stats wise, in our team is Josh Daicos, although Josh has been in the system since 2016 draft he took a while to come on.

Bailey Smith Stat Josh Daicos
103 Career Games 116
23yr 6mth Age 25yr 6mth
185cm Height 178cm
86kg Weight 77kg
103 Games 116
12.1 Kicks 11.5
10.7 Handballs 9.1
22.8 Disposals 20.7
3.0 Marks 4.0
0.4 Goals 0.5
0.5 Behinds 0.3
3.5 Tackles 2.8
0 Hitouts 0
3.9 Inside 50s 2.9
0.5 Goal Assists 0.3
0.7 Frees For 1.1
0.6 Frees Against 0.7
7.6 Contested Possessions 6.3
15.3 Uncontested Possessions 14.2
15.9 Effective Disposals 14.7
69.7% Disposal Efficiency % 71%
2.9 Clangers 2.8
0.1 Contested Marks 0.1
0.1 Marks Inside 50 0.2
3.1 Clearances 2.3
1.4 Rebound 50s 1.7
0.7 One Percenters 0.5
0.3 Bounces 0.3
80.5 Time On Ground % 83.4
0.9 Centre Clearances 0.6
2.3 Stoppage Clearances 1.7
5.3 Score Involvements 4.2
360.2 Metres Gained 337.4
4.3 Turnovers 3.9
2.1 Intercepts 2.6
0.5 Tackles Inside 50 0.3

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:49 pm

Yeo is far too old and damaged you could get a far better player cheaper for a first round pick, if we had one use it on a kid.
we are going to drop a lot in the next few years due to all the over 30's
Better a young replacement than wave goodbye to a injury prone 32 yo

Barrass is underwhealming pass

Bailey Smith is a great recruit pity we don't have the trade picks for him
The question is how many times has he been caught/tested positive under the code for illicit drugs

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:54 pm

neil wrote:
Yeo is far too old and damaged you could get a far better player cheaper for a first round pick, if we had one use it on a kid.

Yeo is an UFA.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:30 pm

neil wrote:
^

Regarding Barrass do the player comparison with Darcy. You’ll be surprised.
Elite in intercept marks & spoils. Not bad for your no.2/3 defender.
We don’t need more kids, look in the VFL we need to trade in players like 2022 trade period, that’s what won the granny.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Good snapshot Born to Pie...
Nice to see some quant work to compare against the eye test.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:29 pm

Well for me it may depend on upcoming retirements. We're in the window, dont forget that. Nothing wrong with having a couple of older guys that can help win now. Things went ok when we brought in Mitchell. And if a player is a FA/UFA, you're not losing draft picks.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:58 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
neil wrote:

Yeo is an UFA.

So is J Battle so Hawks currency is futile. FREE

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:24 pm

Our less than diagnosed strength is our "hardened bodies". Being one of the oldest list comes with it's benefits and this is seen in our relentless pressure game plan. A game plan that requires men not lads. Craig Kelly flagged last October that don't be surprised if we pursue some of our recruiting emphasis toward 35-50 game hardened players who can make an immediate impact and keep us in contention.

A player like Yeo befits that type of mantra. Would play at 31 years of age in 2025, injury risk aside would make a meaningful mid-field contribution. Not saying he is my cup of tea but understand the logic when referencing Kelly's past comments. I'd be inclined to target these players:

1. J Battle: turns 26 in September this year. Unrestricted free agent unlike Tom Barrass who is still under contract for 3 more years and is 29 in season 2025. Perfect Nathan Murphy replacement no zero impingement on our draft picks.

2. Tyson Stengle: 25 years old, apparently as loyal as Liz Taylor and deemed gettable. Can't have enough dangerous smalls and kicks more goals per week than Hill, Schultz, McCreery and Co. Unrestricted free agent so again, no draft pick implications.

3. Cam Zurhaar: has to be sick of losing and to me is an upgrade on McCreery if one is to be brutally honest. Kicks more goals, tackles the same and can play some midfield time. Room for him and Beau in our starting team.

4. Bailey Banfield: Unrestricted free agent and always plays well vs Pies and when I watch him in Freo games. Get Lachie Schulz in the presentation meeting. Freo treat their rookies like garbage for 3-5 years before giving them any modicum of security. Offer him the opposite of that.

5. Isaac Cumming/Harry Perryman: I swear there the same player but both whom are free agents this year. Both craving midfield time and are extremely underrated.

With the likely phasing out of Steele, Howe and Pendles the club shall have both sufficient salary cap space and positional availability to ft 75% of the above players listed onto the list.

Go to work list management and let's stop reading about Carlton opening up their brown paper bags for even more boom recruits!!!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:47 pm

When a club shows interest in another quality player, there’s usually a fair amount of diligence done and numerous conversations held well in advance of securing any signature. I just wonder whether the emergence of players like Harrison, Richards, Dean and possibly Jaith ( who looks a real talent to me ) will change the clubs wish list over the course of this year. For all the names we have been connected to, I still look at the list profile and think we need a hard running plug and play quality inside midfielder as an immediate priority. We’re about to lose Pendlebury, Mitchell and Sidey all much sooner than later and that’s a huge void to fill. There are additional needs of course but the best teams have deep midfields and that’s where most games are won and lost.
I’m up for any trade that makes our best 22 better but there is nothing more important in footy than first hands on the ball.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:18 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
derkd wrote:
^ aside from his amazing finals series effort in 2017 what else has he done???

Mate he wasn't drafted until 2018, played his first game in 2019 season.

Comparable player, stats wise, in our team is Josh Daicos, although Josh has been in the system since 2016 draft he took a while to come on.

I stand corrected on his start year, his stats look better than I thought.

I will maintain that, given his cost and our needs. I wouldn't want the club chasing him.

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:55 pm

derkd wrote:
I will maintain that, given his cost and our needs. I wouldn't want the club chasing him.

I agree with you, but if we could have another Josh Daicos I'd take it in a heart beat, but not if we had to pay overs.

What would other clubs offer for Josh if he was available?

I'd suggest it would be less than the quotes on what Smith is apparently worth, for essentially the same output.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:11 pm

The pies have pretty much been linked to every player in the market in little snips with nothing solid or sustained so I can only read nothing into that.

very different to 2022 when you couldn't turn left without hearing about McStay to the Pies.

Looking at the FA shortlist above, I'd not thought about this in earnest earlier but Dean's emergence and Krueger's flash in the pan leaves me less inclined for Battle now. FAs are all about filling holes and making your team better and I feel Frampton and Dean have started to backfill Murphy this year such that we don't need Battle. It's a shame but Battle will make the Hawks better. It's a sliding door moment we missed out on Josh Weddle!

Looking at the list I'm now attracted to Banfield and Stengle.

Can we have Hill and Stengle in the same team? Banfield's played some ripping games and seems maligned at times like Lipinski but could be a good backfill for WHE, although WHE looks like he's got a few games to go yet.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:27 pm

If the Dogs don't have the cap to pay Smith what he's worth, they will not receive full market value when negotiating a trade with his preferred destination club.

In the event of a dispute, the AFL will take Smiths salary shortfall/Dogs offer in consideration as well as his fair personal predicament when determining his market value. Not just stats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next
Page 149 of 152   

Jump to: