Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

His original instructor is back at the club—that might help
buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am

He still looked like he was being pushed off the ball around the ruck and in marking contests against Hawthorn. Didnt seem like anything had changed TBH.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:19 am

You rub Cox the wrong way and he bulks up!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:25 pm
Post subject: Cox has a role - McRaeReply with quote

Quote:
In a wide-ranging interview with AFL.com.au, McRae outlined a significant role change for the 211cm big man, whose career was in question at the end of last season after playing just seven matches under Nathan Buckley and his temporary replacement as coach, Robert Harvey.

"Mason came into the system and I spent six weeks with him when everyone else was on leave, and I upskilled him on some of the nuances of the game, kicks, marks and handballs and those sorts of things,” said McRae, who was a Pies assistant coach at the time of Cox’s arrival.

"Every time he misses a kick, I get blamed for it, every time he kicks a goal, I get a little head nod. It is interesting being seven-foot tall, and you play somewhat of an uncontested brand. I'm not sure if that suits him.

"I think this year we are going to kick to a lot more contests, and we will be asking Mason to get to those contests, and work hard to get the ball to ground, and if he can do that for us, he will have a role to play in our team."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/712447/dogs-may-rue-losing-lipinski-says-mcrae-reveals-big-plans-for-mason?fbclid=IwAR1GQ76IzPAGQs2-JKYjTVH6HIvOovWuEOaEzfG5U0SNEqvMSpRWfKWt090

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:41 pm

“ get to contests and bring the ball to ground”. Just mark the dam thing.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:50 pm

Who will he be keeping out of the team Krueger or Cameron? Because they all can't play with Checkers in the forward line. Personally I would be giving games to Krueger and Cameron ahead of Cox because I think they have more upside.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:28 pm

#26 wrote:
Who will he be keeping out of the team Krueger or Cameron? Because they all can't play with Checkers in the forward line. Personally I would be giving games to Krueger and Cameron ahead of Cox because I think they have more upside.

He be Competing with Cameron as the Forward/Ruck

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:10 pm

We need to very careful drawing comparisons between both players past performances. They will be different players under a new coaching panel and likely have different roles ( albeit same position ) that come with different expectations.
Cox is now wearing glasses because he believes it will improve him and Cameron was at least on an upward curve towards the end of last season. My suggestion is to just sit back and enjoy the battle between the both of them. Nothing better than healthy competition for spots.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:51 am
Post subject: Re: Cox has a role - McRaeReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:

"I think this year we are going to kick to a lot more contests, and we will be asking Mason to get to those contests, and work hard to get the ball to ground, and if he can do that for us, he will have a role to play in our team."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/712447/dogs-may-rue-losing-lipinski-says-mcrae-reveals-big-plans-for-mason?fbclid=IwAR1GQ76IzPAGQs2-JKYjTVH6HIvOovWuEOaEzfG5U0SNEqvMSpRWfKWt090

Post reading and listening to several Club interviews, it's clear to me Cox is on the outer unless he can play the role of a big man, hitting packs, influencing the contest.
Cameron and Kreuger are ahead of him and I think it'll be a while before we hear "USA, USA' echoed around the ground again.

Fly has been using the media in a gentle way to publicly flag to the players the job ahead of them e.g. effectively telling Josh Daicos the wing is his to make his own, if Cox is a big man, he needs to play like a big man, Lipinski will be given every opportunity to prove the Dogs wrong.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:00 pm

Previously the List and group were treated progressively more and more 'equally', In that, everyone's role is easily interchangeable with their respective 'backup'.

Reliance on a specific player exposes the side in case of injury... ie.. the 100 a year goalkicker is injured in the Semi. This problem gave rise to the squad mentality.

Hard for me to prove my point, but now it feels we have delineated first, and reserves.

To add, it seems we are playing players to their strengths and not just the role's requirement.

Its a small step, but changes a lot. Went too far, now we are back on track.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:13 pm

Fly is hardly going to say there is no spot for him and cannot see him playing senior football again.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:03 pm

Happy if he gets a game but only in the right conditions.
Not sure playing him on a wet mcg at dusk will suit his new eyewear.

Playing him round 1 at Marvel is a good decision.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:03 pm

The fact that Cox is on the list at all must have been on the coach’s orders, so he did not do that, and then never play him
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:34 pm

This is not news. Cox always had a role to bring the ball down on the forward line.
He just needs to do it more often.

Cox could easily force his way back into the side. He has the proven ability to do so.
With his renewed confidence, I would not be surprised that he could once again become a weapon.
If he did well consistently, he could help the team into the top eight, even this year.

I think he needs to be given a chance to get some form in the seniors and help the dynamic small players around him.
Think Elliott and Ginnivan, they would thrive with expectation of greater supply at ground level.

I think I'm stating the obvious...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:57 pm

On today’s game his role is hard to fathom

Maybe the fullness of time will illuminate me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 150 of 178   

Jump to: