Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan says “I will walk”

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will be Nathans fate this year...?!??
What are you talking about? Nathan is the messiah and will lead our club to its next flag!!
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
Nathan comes to the realization that the club is bigger than him and that he needs to fall on his sword and resigns.
40%
 40%  [ 34 ]
Nathan finally gets the sack after another bad season.
42%
 42%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 83

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnno75 wrote:
In a way you feel for Bucks, he was such an elite kick and now has a team with poor foot skills and it’s been a problem for years. You have to wonder how much he has been muzzled on recruiting and getting the right type of players into the club

Probably many suspect the opposite. He has had a huge say on trades and the coaching staff too.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 pm

Treloar was his call. And it was a conversation with him that sent Lynch to Richmond.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Treloar was his call.

Yep both getting him in.. and then out...

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:28 pm

I like Bucks despite his flaws, but too long is too long, and has been for a while now. I would seek to make good of this season by getting the deed done with haste. This is not a developing team. This is not a system or approach or mindset with an edge. This is not a midfield or forward line that is fast and strong (i.e., explosive) enough to compete. In fact, it's an inordinately slow midfield that is too slight and far too slow. Even worse when your flaws are this big, this is not even a disciplined team that does the small things well.

There's still a great core of players there, from Daics and IQ to Moore and Grundy. But you can see the main stories to come will involve feel-good reflections on the retirement of Pendles and Sidebottom, not the development of a ruthless football machine. Like Bucks himself, this is a club that undermines itself by trying to please others too much, winning no friends and no premierships in the process.

Once something has gone on too long like this, you're only incentivising people to double down on what they know, and to start selling the floorboards to engineer a fantastical turnaround.

This is not the time to go back to the sack-the-coach mindset of a decade ago, but neither is it the time to triple down and dig an even bigger hole. The time is simply right to do what very obviously needs to be done for ourselves.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:34 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Like Bucks himself, this is a club that undermines itself by trying to please others too much, winning no friends and no premierships in the process.

I don't think Buckley tries to please others.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:03 pm

K wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Like Bucks himself, this is a club that undermines itself by trying to please others too much, winning no friends and no premierships in the process.

As an ironic quip about results, sure. As a statement on his personality, though, think him through a bit.

FIGJAM fear made Bucks curtail his instincts to such an extent he became permissive, reflected in an extremely undisciplined, brittle team. But denying yourself to the extent Bucks did, and taking things to heart that deeply, takes away your unique edge.

Eddie was a bad influence in this way because he was a media personality, so much of his energy went into managing the way he was perceived, overreacting to criticism and making things worse in the process, etc.

Consider the complete opposite psychology that is hard-wired into Hawthorn's DNA, and encapsulated by a single Leigh Matthews maxim: don't complain and don't explain.

Other clubs get away with things we can only dream of because we are inherently brittle and the media and opponents feast on it. When other clubs are ruthless, it's an admirable trait. When we dare venture anything in that direction, it's an egregious moral failure and violation of national ethics.

Being absurdly self-conscious means we seek people with similar flaws to manage our image for us. And yet, as we know, this only invites still more criticism as the sharks smell blood. Meanwhile, those not complaining and not explaining hold cups aloft.

Now to break that nexus.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:30 pm

K wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
In a way you feel for Bucks, he was such an elite kick and now has a team with poor foot skills and it’s been a problem for years. You have to wonder how much he has been muzzled on recruiting and getting the right type of players into the club

Probably many suspect the opposite. He has had a huge say on trades and the coaching staff too.

Actually, I think the 2020 draft was the first time in a while Buckley had a big say in who we drafted. Felt like he laid down the law on not drafting midgets. Bucks infamously had a blue with Gubby when Gubby signed Wells without Bucks knowing. Beams was Eddie’s call. And re team selections, that’s the team selection committee — remember Malthouse wanting more say when he was coach and being told no.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
K wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

Actually, I think the 2020 draft was the first time in a while Buckley had a big say in who we drafted. Felt like he laid down the law on not drafting midgets. Bucks infamously had a blue with Gubby when Gubby signed Wells without Bucks knowing. Beams was Eddie’s call. And re team selections, that’s the team selection committee — remember Malthouse wanting more say when he was coach and being told no.

I think all this speculation that Gubby signed wells without Bux knowing and that Beams was Ed;s call is ridiculous. How could Eddie decide who was recruited... I mean, he might have been very powerful, but recruitment was simply not his domain. and how could Gubby have really recruited Wells without Bux having any idea about what he was doing behind his back? It just sounds a ridiculous scenario. And, even worse, if in fact this crazy scenario is true, then it is all the more reason to get rid of an incredibly incompetent coaching regime which has no idea who is recruiting and which players are being recruited!!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I think all this speculation that Gubby signed wells without Bux knowing and that Beams was Ed;s call is ridiculous. How could Eddie decide who was recruited... I mean, he might have been very powerful, but recruitment was simply not his domain. and how could Gubby have really recruited Wells without Bux having any idea about what he was doing behind his back? It just sounds a ridiculous scenario. ...

When the club stuffs up, no one owns it. There's just a lot of finger pointing and scape-goating of people who've left the building (Davoren, Pert, Gubby, Rendell, ...).
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:29 pm

pietillidie wrote:
K wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

As an ironic quip about results, sure. As a statement on his personality, though, think him through a bit.

FIGJAM fear made Bucks curtail his instincts to such an extent he became permissive, reflected in an extremely undisciplined, brittle team. But denying yourself to the extent Bucks did, and taking things to heart that deeply, takes away your unique edge.

Eddie was a bad influence in this way because he was a media personality, so much of his energy went into managing the way he was perceived, overreacting to criticism and making things worse in the process, etc.

Consider the complete opposite psychology that is hard-wired into Hawthorn's DNA, and encapsulated by a single Leigh Matthews maxim: don't complain and don't explain.

Other clubs get away with things we can only dream of because we are inherently brittle and the media and opponents feast on it. When other clubs are ruthless, it's an admirable trait. When we dare venture anything in that direction, it's an egregious moral failure and violation of national ethics.

Being absurdly self-conscious means we seek people with similar flaws to manage our image for us. And yet, as we know, this only invites still more criticism as the sharks smell blood. Meanwhile, those not complaining and not explaining hold cups aloft.

Now to break that nexus.

An interesting take. He's pretty guarded. He also doesn't trust instinct. But is that really from wanting to please others?

If it is, maybe it's from childhood. His father sounds like he was an old-school slave-driver.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:35 pm

K wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Buckley made a good point about hit outs. ...

Well why the hell did we mortgage the farm for a useless player in Grundy then? More reason Bucks must go!

That's right AND Buckley didn't make a good point, he lost by a good point.

His justification for Grundy is "he's a midfielder".

The question is: how good is he as a mid, really? He's being judged easily as a mid 'cos he's a ruckman.

This is hilarious. So Buckley sees Grundy as a big mid at just the time when this year the footy is faster than ever and even big mids like Cripps are being left behind. He is always one step behind the rest of the AFL.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Treloar was his call. And it was a conversation with him that sent Lynch to Richmond.

Treloar wasn’t his call at all mate it was a list management decision and Buckley wasn’t part of that meeting in fact he’s been at arms length from list management for 12 months
There has been a behind the scenes adjustment in how things happen st the club in the past year
It’s no secret Eddie had handed Buckley absolute power and others decided that this system of empowerment wasn’t working and was actually harming the club
Decision making on list management and other alike issues become a consensus decision and not a coaches decision
Buckley as coach was told to speak to Treloar and tell him of the clubs decision and use the we think the separation from his partner as the reason
The lynch decision from what I understand come down to $$$$ only
We didn’t couldn’t or wouldn’t offer him the same terms as the tigers did
Now we can speculate that the money may or may not have been the sole reason he didn’t come to us
It’s easier to kick Buckley and say it’s his fault
To me the imbalance of power for several years has been the catalyst for our current position
One person was handed way to much power and made decisions based on personal feelings not what was best interest of the clubs long term future
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 pm

^ I meant recruiting Treloar. As you well know, I have been saying that would be / was stupid since before the deal was done.

I actually give Guy a pass grade for exiting Treloar - it was handled poorly but it was an inherited problem - he wasn't the bloke who brought Treloar to the Club; he was just the guy who tried to stop the bleeding from the open wound.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Ffs Treloar was worth the deal when we got him, who knew he’d blow both hammies and lose yards off his pace? It was the right call then and I reckon by next year we’ll see it was the right call not to keep him until 2025 when he’ll be hobbling around like an old man.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 pm

You're entitled to the view that he was worth the deal when we got him. I don't share that view. He was a slightly better acquisition than Beams - but only slightly: for the most part, Beams was just a drain on the salary cap; Treloar was a drain on the salary cap and also in the way on the field, in my view.

The only thing that surprised me was that they persisted with him after his horrendous 2019 preliminary final. I have read that they tried to off-load him before 2020 but it seems they couldn't get any viable proposals at that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 16 of 49   

Jump to: