Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

His role should be booking a one way ticket to Texas.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:04 pm

Still Useless
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:08 pm

AJ wrote:
His role should be booking a one way ticket to Texas.

If this was Twitter or Facebook, you'd have a thousand ticks by now.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 pm

^ Probably. Lots of people think smart =*×$, off hand, flippant comments are clever and worth a like.
However, as this is supposedly a discussion forum, I'd be more interested in reading objective reasons, before trashing a player in such a way. It would get a thumbs down from me .
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:38 pm

Okay here are my objective comments and reasons. I have generally refrained from knocking Cox and tried very hard to be fair but I have reached my limit. He is doing his best but his best is just not good enough. It’s infuriating to watch him be led under the ball by rookie defenders or drop marks he should take with his huge height advantage. He hasn’t sadly learnt any footy smarts after so many seasons. I hope I’m wrong but he don’t think he has any improvement left in him when it’s critical that he improves. A no win situation.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:57 am

Lazza, I can appreciate why Coxy has disappointed you with his performance. I agree - what you describe is a frustrating aspect of his play. I reckon it's a problem that the coaches and especially Coxy would be trying like hell to rectify. Sadly, that may well turn out to be impossible, as I reckon it could be a confidence thing. He will always have value as a decoy forward 😃 Checkers, Billy and JDG would appreciate that. 😉

On the other hand, you say he has no footy smarts and I don't agree with that. For example, one thing he is very effective at is putting the opposition off when they are having set shots for goal and ironically, that's one way he does use his height to advantage. He did it perfectly in one instance today---- crouched down until the last steps of the kicker, then leapt up to his full body height! 😀 A scary sight!!' Result was GWS point rather than a goal. No-one else in our team does that better than him.

Am going off on a bit of a tangent now, but this is something that irks me in general.
In a way, it's a bit absurd that us supporters get so upset when an individual player "let's us down". I mean, they don't ask us to defend them or pin our hopes on them.
We are the ones who choose to publically support a particular individual
by throwing our opinions about them into the ring on forums such as this. We shouldn't feel personally affronted or belittled or angry with them, if it turns out our opinions were astray or our hopes ill founded. ( That's hardly a big deal anyway in the great scheme of things). 99% of the time, the player is trying their best with what they've got. Really what more can we ask of them. As long as they have the desire to reach their best, it's also up to all the coaches to help them find ways to achieve that.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:41 am

Getting a 7 foot Yank on our list, as an international rookie, was worth doing as an experiment. However, it has been clear to me and quite a few of my fellow Nicksters, that, despite the big guys best efforts, the experiment failed, and we should have moved him on 2 yrs ago.

I applaud Cox for giving it his all, and I will never forget his amazing 10 minute 3 goal spell in the 2018 Prelim against the Tigers. Thanks for memories Coxy.

Time to move on and make way for Cameron and/or Kruger to fill our key marking forward role.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:30 am

^Agree. I felt quite deflated yesterday watching him going for the ball with one arm and miss timing leads as he does.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 am

The brilliant lead and dropped chest mark in the second qtr was hard to watch.
He nearly won us a grand final so we can't knock his career, but I think it's the end for him now. If only he kicked it properly with 6:10 to go in the granny.
Croat Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:42 am

He single-handedly stopped Richmond from a 4-peat.
Worth all the money in the world.
Croat Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:42 am

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:57 am

RudeBoy wrote:

Getting a 7 foot Yank on our list, as an international rookie, was worth doing as an experiment. However, it has been clear to me and quite a few of my fellow Nicksters, that, despite the big guys best efforts, the experiment failed, and we should have moved him on 2 yrs ago.

I applaud Cox for giving it his all, and I will never forget his amazing 10 minute 3 goal spell in the 2018 Prelim against the Tigers. Thanks for memories Coxy.

Time to move on and make way for Cameron and/or Kruger to fill our key marking forward role.

I appreciate your thoughts RB.

I wouldn't call Coxy a failed experiment, because that Prelim final burst will go down in Collingwood, Richmond and footy history in general as an exceptional moment in our sport. It was worth it for that alone I reckon. Laughing

Don't know about moving him on 2 years ago either. Even given his debilitating eye injury, who else did we have to replace him within that time span except Cameron, who has been just serviceable to date IMO.. Kruger is certainly a potential candidate for the tall, big marking forward position.

However, if the catalysts of a new coaching staff and supportive eye wear don't reap obvious rewards, then yep, it's most likely time up for Coxy. Sad
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:57 am

Croat Pie wrote:

👍
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:39 am

It's 2022, 2018 was a long time ago.

If I hear one more time that he "brings the ball to ground" as if it's a game influencing statistic, I'll go full Terry Wallace.

And the reference to standing on the mark and jumping up as an example of footy smarts? C'mon. That's not smarts, that's genetics. In any event he's meant to be a bloody forward, not standing marks in the backline.

If you're a big man, play as a big man. You use your size to influence the contest, and as a forward take marks.
His ruck-work is agricultural.

Cox is 30 and is simply taking the position of another player, albeit one we don't have.
On the field, he's not going to show younger players how it's done. Off the field, maybe. But what can he offer by way of skills legacy?

I shot a 78 in golf once, never looked like breaking 80 since. The 2018 was his epitaph on the Tigers 2018 season and we'll be forever thankful for it but FFS, it's time to close this book.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:47 am

Yep, have to agree LH.

I'm guilty of thinking the big fella can repeat 'that' performance on a consistent basis... fanciful really.

I ran a sub 3:45 marathon about 5 years ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 151 of 178   

Jump to: