Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:

If I hear one more time that he "brings the ball to ground" as if it's a game influencing statistic, I'll go full Terry Wallace.

McFly said previously that all he wanted was Mason to play his role, which included contesting marks and bringing the ball to ground in the forward line. I gather you have a different view then to what the coach regards as " game influencing" actions" .
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:26 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

If I hear one more time that he "brings the ball to ground" as if it's a game influencing statistic, I'll go full Terry Wallace.

McFly said previously that all he wanted was Mason to play his role, which included contesting marks and bringing the ball to ground in the forward line. I gather you have a different view then to what the coach regards as " game influencing" actions" .

Bring the ball to ground is a P C version of “ For christs sake, you can’t be seven foot tall and allow yourself to be outmarked “
If you aren’t outmarked and you don’t mark it yourself, then by extension, the ball will come to ground.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

It's funny you're listening to what the new coach says and almost defying the supporters to have a dissenting view. The facts are Nathan Buckley dropped Mason Cox early in the season last year and wouldn't pick him again. Robert Harvey when he was appointed interim coach said he would try something different and played Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron in the same top heavy forward line. That was a disaster too which finished off Robert Harvey ever having a senior coaching career. And now we have Craig McRae saying that Crisp is better for the purposes of the team playing higher up the ground (he also claimed Maynard would be an option for playing out of the middle but that didn't happen yesterday) and that didn't work either against GWS. Honestly you reckon the new coach would take note of what the previous coaches do. Buckley was stupid enough to recruit Howe for our half forward line when Paul Roos was playing Howe off the half back line, then got Aish from Brisbane, who can only play half back and played him wing or half forward before realizing that Brisbane was right all along (he's a half back). Paul Roos was equally as stupid as Buckley recruiting Chris Dawes as a ruckman/forward when it was obvious that experiment failed at Collingwood. So I guess what you're saying is that the supporters should blindly listen to whatever the coach says, especially if you have a soft spot for Mason Cox. The realists however have known for for more than a year that the Mason Cox experiment is a failure, even allowing for the one good game that Mason Cox played in the 2018 PF against Richmond. I'm sure if McRae continues to play Mason Cox, Cox will kick 2-3 goals against the bottom team and all the Mason Cox supporters will come out of the woodwork and say that MaCrae was right to play Mason Cox.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:24 pm

i do have a soft spot for Mason, but based on the weekend, he really will have to make the most of his chances - i saw him miss one easy shot, there was the nice lead where he missed the mark (and went down their end for an immediate goal, always looks bad the 12point turnaround), then there was the mark he could have been paid where he ended up with the ball one handed against his chest) - so he could have got three goals, just like last week.

Have to keep in mind also, that looking at the game as a whole, we are going nowhere this year, so it is not that critical what Coxy is up to this year.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:36 pm

The haul up the ladder will take a heck of a lot from every player who gets a spot each week and all players regardless must perform to the best they can

Darcy Cameron is an option if Mason has gaff after gaff

Not singling him out as that goes for any player

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:15 pm

With Krueger getting rubbed out looks like it'll be Cox, Cameron and Checkers in the forward line. At least playing at Marvel will suit Cox.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:14 pm

Long Live Mason Cox.

www.facebook/the hybernators
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:37 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:

So I guess what you're saying is that the supporters should blindly listen to whatever the coach says, especially if you have a soft spot for Mason Cox..

?????? I have no idea how you could logically come to that conclusion about what I'm saying. Rolling Eyes
I simply pointed out what the coach said about Mason Cox and that this happened to be exactly what the poster was complaining about!

I didn't give any indication as to whether I was in agreement with the coach, whether I agreed with the poster or whether I thought the poster should be in agreement with coach! All I indicated was a discrepancy between coach and supporter's perspectives. I found this mildly interesting as so far, most seem to be so fully supportive of McFly. (Personally, I am still reserving my thoughts about that until I see what the team does on game day).

Yet from that, you have assumed that I'm slavishly agreeing with and echoing the coach? Quite unbelievable. Read what I wrote again - did I write anywhere that I was in complete agreement with the coach and was "blindly listening" ????

Please refrain from guessing about what I "might" be saying and going off half-cocked about it.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:09 am

he still has a long way to go before i will be convinced that he is the answer to any question i want answered.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Darcy Cameron? Is he up and about?

E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:13 am

#26 wrote:
With Krueger getting rubbed out looks like it'll be Cox, Cameron and Checkers in the forward line. At least playing at Marvel will suit Cox.

I honestly cant believe Kreuger got suspended and i am really angry how he was convicted by media! By contract did you hear how the media tried to get Mumford II off the charge by suggesting the head didn't hit the ground first? disgusting!

Back to Kreuger. I thought the ball was in dispute and both players had their head over the ball. Yes, Kreuger turned at the last minute, but i thought the head contact was head to head and was incidental as the result of a shoulder check. Why didn't Kreuger have the right to put his head over the ball? neither player has the absolute right to that ball. Why wasnt ward suspended for hitting the head of a player attacking a loose ball. What about that standard of care?

And I thought that the result of the clash also mattered. The GWS player (Ward) wasn't harmed in any way!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:43 am

Well, he was - and he was always going to be. Not saying it's fair or appropriate or what I would do - but it shouldn't be a surprise at all. Since he was concussed, it shouldn't matter. Irrespective of the protcols as to timing and when he might resume (all else being well), we should be more careful than that with all our players.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:26 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
It's 2022, 2018 was a long time ago.

And the reference to standing on the mark and jumping up as an example of footy smarts? C'mon. That's not smarts, that's genetics. In any event he's meant to be a bloody forward, not standing marks in the backline.

If you're a big man, play as a big man. You use your size to influence the contest, and as a forward take marks.
His ruck-work is agricultural.

Cox is 30 and is simply taking the position of another player, albeit one we don't have.
On the field, he's not going to show younger players how it's done. Off the field, maybe. But what can he offer by way of skills legacy?

I shot a 78 in golf once, never looked like breaking 80 since. The 2018 was his epitaph on the Tigers 2018 season and we'll be forever thankful for it but FFS, it's time to close this book.

Agree 100%. I think we've been living off this idea for too long that Cox will rediscover his form from 2018 and emulate it again, but it's not going to happen.

I think he was very lucky to not be delisted at the end of last year. At best, I see him as a handy backup player. In the mean time, I'd rather pump games into Cameron and Kreuger instead if they're both fit and available for selection.

Speaking broadly of his career, it's an impressive story for an American unfamiliar with the sport being able to forge a professional career and be relatively successful in the code so he deserves credit for that. He's surpassed the average games/years span of a typical player on an AFL list.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 am

Yep this is a positive way of looking at it. He has gone past these American players who tried their hand at footy (in the men’s game ) Dwayne Armstrong, Jason Holmes, Seamus McNamara and Sandford Wheeler.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 am

Darcy Cameron v Mason Cox

At the start of the pre-season, Cameron was in front of Cox. The American only managed seven appearances last year and had to wait until the end of October to extend his time in the AFL. But after a comprehensive summer on the track and a strong showing against Hawthorn in Morwell last month, Craig McRae looks set to go with Cox for next Friday night's season-opener against St Kilda. Cox didn't have the same impact against Greater Western Sydney in last Sunday's AAMI Community Series game, but the conditions didn't help him. After playing 18 games last year, Cameron wasn't picked for the trip to Sydney and is set to start behind the Texan in the pecking order to start the new year. – Josh Gabelich

https://www.afl.com.au/news/716643/up-for-grabs-the-battle-is-on-for-this-spot-in-your-team

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:20 am

Lazza wrote:
Yep this is a positive way of looking at it. He has gone past these American players who tried their hand at footy (in the men’s game ) Dwayne Armstrong, Jason Holmes, Seamus McNamara and Sandford Wheeler.

At 76 games and counting, he's probably gone past half the men to have ever played the sport at the elite level.

I'll admit that that is in part due to Hine's blanket refusal to draft or recruit any form of meaningful competition for his spot but still, top effort by the big fella.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 152 of 178   

Jump to: