Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great big federal election 2013 thread.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the system needs to be changed, but you have a lot more surety voting for the majors than the minors.

On a different note, I know many people here love Tony Abbott Razz so a little piece of information.

Quote:
Abbott's vote is close to the 53.6 per cent John Howard achieved in 1996 and exceeds the best Labor results of Bob Hawke (1983) and Kevin Rudd (2007)......................

Abbott is the most successful opposition leader since Gough Whitlam. Becoming leader after Labor's devastating loss in 1966, Whitlam reformed and united the ALP. He gained seats against John Gorton in 1969 and won against William McMahon in 1972. What Whitlam did in six years, Abbott achieved in just under four.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/detractors-fail-to-recognise-abbotts-astounding-success-20130909-2tg62.html#ixzz2eU1TFkwB

Not bad for a bloke deemed unelectable.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

^ Yeah, but he didn't do it. Rudd did.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Come to think of it, Whitlam only achieved a part of what he achieved too - the rest of it was down to Billy McMahon, a PM who could make Abbott look intelligent and Rudd competent.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I personally feel that Julia Gillard's time as was tainted due to her not having a clear majority in the upper and lower houses. I will admit that I am not a fan (but I will certainly not disrespect her by giving her silly names and titles). At the same time I feel that she would have been a better and more balanced PM if she did not have to pander to the Greens and the independents and be compromised by having to support members of her party who should have been thrown out of parliament due to their dubious activities.

Potentially we have placed our new government in exactly the same position and some on here are proud of hampering the process and creating an environment that does not lend itself to effective government. How can this be good for Australia. Sheer ignorance.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm

What's the record for the number of seats lost in a single term?

Reckon Tony might be able to break that one once people come to know the real Tony free from his minders and daughters.

Here's a little of what to expect from our new PM in the coming three years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyY-xI6zgfk

Staggering that people voted for this bloke.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Member, read some history. It is very, very rare for any Australian leader to control both houses of parliament. When it does happen, it always ends in tears. The vast majority of Australian governments in your lifetime or mine have been moderated by the need to negotiate with Senators the PM does not control, and agree on a sensible compromise outcome.

This moderating influence is even more strongly established in other democratic countries - in most other democratic nations it applies all the time in both houses.

States which don't have the moderating, conservative, consensus-forming influence of an independent upper house generally turn into very, very nasty places with massive corruption and all the horrors of one-party rule.

If you really want to live in Joh's Queensland or Hitler's Germany or Mugabe's Zimbabwe, just leave. Don't try to turn this fine country into one of those hell-holes.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ Yeah, but he didn't do it. Rudd did.

Bradbury. Sit back and wait for the opposition to self destruct. Wink

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Bradbury?
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Stephen Bradbury, won a Winter Olympic gold medal by virtue of the fact he was the person in a race to stay on his feet/skates and cross the finish line.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Ahhh ... thankyou. Smile
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I personally feel that Julia Gillard's time as was tainted due to her not having a clear majority in the upper and lower houses. I will admit that I am not a fan (but I will certainly not disrespect her by giving her silly names and titles). ........

it's pleasing you're not calling Prime Minister Gillard "Juliar" or "witch" .

I wonder which monikers could be applied to the Mad Miners Misogynist Monk however Rolling Eyes Question Confused Wink

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:40 am

These videos have become a bit of a guilty pleasure. Please, someone convince me to stop watching them so I can get some work done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTienDV5O5c

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:55 am

David wrote:
These videos have become a bit of a guilty pleasure. Please, someone convince me to stop watching them so I can get some work done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTienDV5O5c

A welcome distraction nonetheless.

Clever guy. Smile Smile

partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:05 am

An interesting analysis of the election campaign and the Liberals take on Rudd http://m.afr.com/p/national/how_kevin_rudd_campaign_unravelled_MUATc7semL7gLrK69U2OvN
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am

Tannin wrote:
Member, read some history. It is very, very rare for any Australian leader to control both houses of parliament. When it does happen, it always ends in tears. The vast majority of Australian governments in your lifetime or mine have been moderated by the need to negotiate with Senators the PM does not control, and agree on a sensible compromise outcome.

This moderating influence is even more strongly established in other democratic countries - in most other democratic nations it applies all the time in both houses.

States which don't have the moderating, conservative, consensus-forming influence of an independent upper house generally turn into very, very nasty places with massive corruption and all the horrors of one-party rule.

If you really want to live in Joh's Queensland or Hitler's Germany or Mugabe's Zimbabwe, just leave. Don't try to turn this fine country into one of those hell-holes.

Some reasonable points raised Tannin. I suppose it is a matter of balance. You want to control the potential rogue or extreme element of any government. At the same time allow them to legislate in a progressive manner without having to cow tail to other elements within government who cherry pick legislation, some of which is not in the best interest of the country or the government of the day.

If a party is elected on a specific platform of policies, in some respect it is wrong to have this undermined by the vote of an individual within the senate and as such the majority of Australians are denied the legislation they voted for.

If the carbon tax was not introduced as structured at the moment, but better legislation with a better outcome was introduced in its place, it may still be supported by the majority. The carbon tax in its present form as you know was pushed by the Greens who in actual fact wanted to take a more punitive approach. At the end of the day it is what the ALP needed to do to maintain power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 153 of 158   

Jump to: