Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: Gerry Cooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 153, 154, 155  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

roar wrote:
Is it taboo to ask if we have a player that has value and could snare us a semi-decent draft pick without hurting us significantly?

That'd be McCreery. His career seems to have plateaued at the Pies. He hasn't taken the next step and we've got enough forwards who can play his position - Elliot, Schultz, Hill, Harrison.

Unless he can be reinvented into a midfielder or a tagger, then he is one who we could offload and have enough value to get a semi-decent pick.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:13 pm

^Not while McRae is coach. Beau is wanted.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:13 am

Let's not forget we won the flag last year by 3 points and Beau kicked 3 points in the game. Logic tells us that Beau won us the Flag. Cool

He ain't going anywhere.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:17 am

I fine line to tread. We saw some of the impact that pushing out players who dont want to go has on the locker room.

Of course we assume Beau doesnt want to go (?), but I dont think that our administration would go down that path evet and potentially fracture what seems to be a really good culture.

I expext that outsiders expectations of Beau ("doesnt do enough, goes missing, hasnt developed" etc) dont match inside expectations. I tend to agree with Rudey.

Boot 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:37 am

I can't see Beau McCreery going anywhere soon and I still regard him as a player with a huge upside as a player with the potential to be as good as Steve Johnston was at Geelong at his best as a goal scoring forward.
Admittedly McCreery hasn't set the world on fire yet this season, but I'm very optimistic he will deliver when it counts most.
The trouble with Beau is that he still doesn't have the tank for extended bursts of top effort so he is best suited for that deep forward role and not for playing mid-field so with the arrival of Schultz and Hilll playing so well, both playing in that deep forward role Beau's not being played in his ideal position.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:28 am

Let’s not lose sight of why Beau was put forward as trade capital a few posts earlier. I actually agree that he’s close to the perfect candidate to put up for a trade, not because he can’t play but because he can. That’s not to say I want to trade him, it’s just to say that he more than most others, provides the opportunity to increase our stocks over night in other areas where we are deficient. “ We “ can’t have it both ways and throw up all these trade wish lists without giving up something along the way. We have a surplus of forward of centre flankers and the club would “ sell “ the McCreery trade on the back of him still having growth and being a premiership player at around 21 years old.
More importantly, you could only have that conversation if Beau himself was open to a trade. If he’s not interested and under contract, then he’s not going anywhere, regardless. Trading out competent players is where you find your trade capital to improve the list profile, not from trading out fringe players and receiving a future third / fourth rounder in return. There’s no point trying to convince others clubs that a fringe player who doesn’t get a game in the seniors every week, is going to suddenly be the next Bont in their team.
I have no doubt we are into a number of free agents for obvious reasons but unless the AFL make changes to the current trade rules at the end of the season ( which may yet happen with clubs trading picks two years in advance ) currently, we are virtually in no position to be involved in any quality player trades of note. Even if we were to trade out future first rounder ( again ) the club receiving it, would likely see it as a pick in the high teens in terms of its worth at the end of 2025 season.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:00 pm

The club is watching closely the Logan McDonald position at the swans
The swans have some cap issues going forward and have also put forward a long term offer to Rohan Marshall at the saints.
It’s believed Kinnear Beetson there long term list manager/head recruiter has told other clubs Parker, McDonald and possibly a couple other player will be available a the trade table.
McDonald was a top 10 pick only 4 years ago so he’s still developing but he wouldn’t come cheap in terms of draft picks.
There long term deals with Gulden Hayward etc are starting next season so they’ll need space.
They got Grundy for under $450k a season but aren’t invested in him long term he’s been paid out the majority of his contract by us and Melbourne already. If what I heard is correct he’s owed $500K over the next 3 years so off loading him to another club comes cheap for them
The other watch and see is the Suns
They have some cap issues coming up and want to bring in a few experienced high salaried recruits which could force there hand to keep a few current players
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:23 pm

^ have you seen how Grundy is complementing the Swans? He’s not going anywhere from that team… He’s arguably been the key driver of their better fortunes this year.

Regardless, MacDonald could be a good fit for us and our list.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:47 pm

Magpies are very keen...
Jay Clark etc. talking about a possible Logan McDonald trade.

"At Collingwood, McDonald would become the Big Banana!"

https://foxsportspmd-a.akamaihd.net/free/nogeoblock/2024/06/27/DVU_270624_AFL_PIES_KEEN_ON_LOGAN_2024-26-06_21-28-24_202406270735/DVU_270624_AFL_PIES_KEEN_ON_LOGAN_2024-26-06_21-28-24_202406270735_2628.mp4

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Boot 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Collingwood was really hot on Logan McDonald when he was drafted but unfortunately he was never going to make it to Collingwoods pick in the draft. Now that we have all seen what McDonald looks like after 4 years in the AFL system I'm wondering just how much he is actually worth? Currently 6th best goal kicker in the Swans team behind Armarty and McLean as their key forward choice. I'm thinking that if he requests a trade to Collingwood then a first round pick in the 10 - 20 range should get the deal done. If such a deal doesn't get done I'm not that upset as I doubt he is going to be the next Tony Lockett. In fact I'd be just as excited to pinch Josh Battle from St.Kilda who I would rate a better footballer than Logan McDonald and battle being a free agent costs nothing in trade requirements.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Boot wrote:
Collingwood was really hot on Logan McDonald when he was drafted but unfortunately he was never going to make it to Collingwoods pick in the draft. Now that we have all seen what McDonald looks like after 4 years in the AFL system I'm wondering just how much he is actually worth?...

Is he getting picked each week by the Swans? If not he sounds a bit underwhelming at this stage. What else can he do besides being the Swan's "6th best goal kicker?" It seems to me, picking him up with our highest draft pick isn't the best we could do.

VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:51 pm

If Beau goes can we keep his mum on the list?!
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:49 pm

Our recruiters might think McDonald woul be a good fit in our system
and he may not have reached his full potential.
+ going to his childhood team may also spark extra motivation.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
SLORT 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:59 am

We can't make a call on any trades that will require our #1 draft picks from 2025-26 until the AFL has worked it's shit out. Have to lock in Thomas McGuane before we throw the farm away in the hopes of Logan McDonald making good.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:35 am

Not father sons but I can't help bringing up the 2013 and 2017 drafts where we passed over future stars with Pies family connections. Both are a examples of where we had the picks available and chose to do something different. History would say they were bad decisions and what could have been.

2013 was the Shaz and Freeman no show when we could have taken Zach Merrett grand nephew of Thorold. Shaz, Freeman, Dom Sheed, Jesse White, Allir Allir and 2 West Coast nobodies all involved.

In 2017 we followed the Jaiden Stephenson spark and what a $hit show that turned out to be at senior level. Could have taken Ed Richards grandson of Ron and grand nephew of Lou and Brandon Starcevich nephew of Craig. We could have split the 6 and taken Richards and one of Zac Bailey, Oscar Allen, Brandon Starcevich or Zac Taylor. What could have been.

Will be very disappointed with Hine and co for a very long time if they don't give Tom McGuane a chance and he rips it up at another AFL club for years to come

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 153, 154, 155  Next
Page 154 of 155   

Jump to: