Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
Clear your mind, man up and get back.

Would you tell a cancer patient to "Man up"? Such an ignorant comment to make about someone suffering mental illness.

Spot on Wokko and Seth.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:19 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
How anyone can question the value of Dayne's recruitment on this particular thread is beyond me. He has just stated on Instagram that he's a broken man. He's fighting for his life! Right now, this is not about his value as a footballing commodity.
It' s really insensitive I believe for some people to be taking this sad and unfortunate situation as an opportunity to boast about how their original views were correct. That is so unimportant right now! Rolling Eyes

You’re right ... though the standards of incapacity which seem to apply to AFL footballers don’t apply for the rest of the population.

I’ve got shit to deal with in my life. We all do. Is my shit worse than anybody else’s? No in most cases and yes in some. Regardless, I have to front up for work and do the best I can.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:31 pm

AFL Footballers with depression, please. Sit them down with servicemen and women I work with who have come back from serious armed conflict and now suffering with serious PTSD and let them tell these guys how tough their lives are. They would be laughed at. The new soft generation have no idea what tough is.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Do you want him to be dead or in hospital after a suicide attempt before having some empathy? Majak Daw was there, doesn't matter who you are or what you 'do' or how wealthy you are. Mental illness isn't about your circumstances or job or looks, it just IS.

It's nothing to do with being 'soft', the attitudes around here are why so many men are killing themselves every day. If you can't be kind to someone who is on the edge then shut the **** up.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm

[quote="Culprit"]AFL Footballers with depression, please. Sit them down with servicemen and women I work with who have come back from serious armed conflict and now suffering with serious PTSD and let them tell these guys how tough their lives are. They would be laughed at. The new soft generation have no idea what tough is.[/quote

Culprit swooping in from the pocket long time away! Wink

www.facebook/the hybernators
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm

^ Well said Wokko. It has nothing to do with a person's character or circumstances, just as you have pointed out. I am really surprised that there still seems to be so much ignorance about mental illness. Sigh.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 pm

[quote="3rd degree"]
Culprit wrote:
AFL Footballers with depression, please. Sit them down with servicemen and women I work with who have come back from serious armed conflict and now suffering with serious PTSD and let them tell these guys how tough their lives are. They would be laughed at. The new soft generation have no idea what tough is.[/quote

I work with people with mental illness on a daily basis and on a scale of 10 they are 11. Sit Beams in a room with one guy I work with who has one arm and no legs and barely sleeps through nightmares and has treatment on daily and let Beams tell him how bad things are for him. Sorry if I really don’t give a shit about a sportsman paid big bucks.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:02 pm

[quote="Culprit"]
3rd degree wrote:
Culprit wrote:
AFL Footballers with depression, please. Sit them down with servicemen and women I work with who have come back from serious armed conflict and now suffering with serious PTSD and let them tell these guys how tough their lives are. They would be laughed at. The new soft generation have no idea what tough is.[/quote

I work with people with mental illness on a daily basis and on a scale of 10 they are 11. Sit Beams in a room with one guy I work with who has one arm and no legs and barely sleeps through nightmares and has treatment on daily and let Beams tell him how bad things are for him. Sorry if I really don’t give a shit about a sportsman paid big bucks.

All fine mate I have worked in residential care I know the john dory.

www.facebook/the hybernators
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
How anyone can question the value of Dayne's recruitment on this particular thread is beyond me. He has just stated on Instagram that he's a broken man. He's fighting for his life! Right now, this is not about his value as a footballing commodity.
It' s really insensitive I believe for some people to be taking this sad and unfortunate situation as an opportunity to boast about how their original views were correct. That is so unimportant right now! Rolling Eyes

I hope this post isn't aimed at mine.

I have never questioned his recruitment before now, and I very well understand what its like with depression and anxiety believe me.

I lost my dad to cancer in 2016, only 6 months after he was diagnosed. He was responsible for my love of the Magpies. I saw players like John Greening play back in the early 70s.

However, there is no problem questioning his recruitment, given he clearly wasn't in the right frame of mind when he joined us post 2018.

He probably thought coming back to place he started his career would help him, but it hasn't worked out for him.

Last edited by SteveH67 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 pm

As strange as it sounds, this news doesn't surprise me.

I've sensed something hasn't been right all year with the way he's played and his body language has worried me throughout the year. He looked like a player with his mind being elsewhere.

Rumours about gambling issues have been mentioned in some corners, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a culmination of things that has led him down this path including the death of his father which would hit anyone hard.

I was cautiously optimistic about his recruitment, but that's evaporated quickly and I've had strong doubts about whether the club made the right call to bring him back to the club.

In saying all of that, I wish him well in his recovery and hope the club can provide the best support and resources to help him.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:54 pm

I said at the end of my previous post that ‘I hope he gets his sh1t together’ because I was worried that I wasn’t showing any empathy. I still got canned. I thought it was a nice touch.

I’m sure Beams has people in his life to take care of him in his time of need. I’m sure he’ll come good. Too much stuff gets diagnosed as depression these days. Gary Lyon got busted banging his best mates wife and suddenly got
Depressed. He seems pretty good now.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:03 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

I hope this post isn't aimed at mine..

He probably thought coming back to place he started his career would help him, but it hasn't worked out for him.

Yep, to be honest SteveH67, yours was just one of the posts I was responding to. Very Happy I reckon it's fine to question his recruitment on the basis of what has transpired. I am just happen to think of footballers as people, rather than commodities, so was disappointed that this was being discussed in the same posts as his illness and personal struggles. Perhaps in the thread that was already devoted to the value of his recruitment, as a separate issue?

Depression is such an insidious condition and one I can't help feeling deserves empathy and respectful discussion, separate from a person's worth to an organization, or whether the organization made a blunder or not. Just my tuppence worth on the subject and apologies if I was too indignant about it Wink I can understand that his worth to the club would naturally arise in the mind of a Pies person. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Call me cynical but haven't people noticed how all football clubs are increasingly using the mental health reason for what I personally believe is a catch me all for a whole range of player welfare issues.

Have clinical depression, it's mental health.

Have a psychiatric disorder, it's mental health.

Have an alcohol addiction, it's mental health.

Have a gambling problem, it's mental health.

Have an affair, get caught, it's mental health.

And so on.

It's the perfect reason to provide because as this thread painfully points out no one whether it be the media or Joe public will ever dare attempt to seek out further clarification or question the veracity as they will be hounded down and labelled as insensitive.

As someone who has had mental health issues since my teenager years and has been medicated for most of his adult life what I find bloody insensitive is that mental health might now be being used by football clubs to protect players from the real issue being exposed.

Beams might well have mental health concerns but whether that's the root of his problems or just a by product of poor personal choices and behaviour is anyone's guess. I'm less sympathetic to the latter.

The reality is for lot of people with long term and/or serious mental health issues the notion they would ever be in a position to play for their local footy club let alone have a fulfilling career in the AFL is a fanciful one as just walking out the front door or turning up for some crummy casual work can be achievement on any given day.

I only hope nothing disingenuous is being played out here by Collingwood and Beams.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Beams might well have mental health concerns but whether that's the root of his problems or just a by product of poor personal choices and behaviour is anyone's guess. I'm less sympathetic to the latter.

Swoop your post sums up perfectly my thoughts on this subject. Particularly this bit I’ve quoted which is what I was clumsily trying to say with my Gary Lyon reference.

Sure society didn’t recognise mental health issues for way too long but there has been a massive over correction.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:

The reality is for lot of people with long term and/or serious mental health issues the notion they would ever be in a position to play for their local footy club let alone have a fulfilling career in the AFL is a fanciful one as just walking out the front door or turning up for some crummy casual work can be achievement on any given day.

I only hope nothing disingenuous is being played out here by Collingwood and Beams.

Walking out the door is hard for anyone with depression, no matter where they're going to, be it work they don't enjoy or a football club.

Just because someone is a high profile, well paid footballer doesn't mean that they're not genuinely suffering from depression. It doesn't discriminate according to a person's situation.

That said, I acknowledge what you're getting at. It would be really affronting to those with genuine mental illness, if it were being used as a cover up for poor life choices or for an organization's blunder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 158 of 188   

Jump to: