Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
If she was offended she should have smiled sweetly and said - " thanks but you're not my type sugar" that would be more effective especially live to air than this faux outrage and as a result a PC fine to quell the masses with seriously too much time on their hands Rolling Eyes

I remember scrubbing for a case with our notoriously misogynist sleazy old head of surgery - " you're quite clever for a chickee babe ( who says chickee babe really Laughing ) - " gee thanks - you're not a bad surgeon either snookums" - he stared, scowled then burst out laughing - point taken - no repeat performance.

Woman of the world STOP being victims and outraged - step up and serve it back!!!!

One problem with this is that a journalist has a professional responsibility not to hit back. Fair or not, that's the way it is. Helen Razer, for instance, lost her job over this rather memorable interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/0831_razer.mp3

Hence the sports reporters somewhat awkward reaction to the cricketer hitting on her. I got the feeling she wanted to give him a serve but felt she couldn't. She clearly wasn't happy about it.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 am

Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
It was fine to try it on in a bar - and completely inappropriate to do it on live TV in the woman's workplace. He's playing a global game, and taking the money that goes with it - he needs to learn the global rules. If he was our employee, he'd go straight to a final warning, if not out the door. She handled a very embarrassing and intimidating situation well, to her credit.

Really? What was intimidating about it? I really can't see reason for offence at all!

I have little time for identity politics, but I think that a young female journalist who is trying to conduct an interview, in the pressure being watched by many thousands of people, is entitled to the same professional respect as a male journalist. It's hard enough to do an interview like that without having to fend off lecherous men while doing your job in front of so many people, and I think it is a kind of intimidation to be turned into a woman first and journalist second in such a pressured and highly exposed situation. It injects an element of risk and difficulty into it that no man would have to contend with. I dislike the PC brigade intensely, but that was just sexual harassment in the context, and my wife our daughter woild have found it intimidating to know what to say to it.

I might be inclined to agree IF it wasn't for the fact that this interview was during a hit and giggle match where the whole commentary and vibe and interplay between commentators and players - male and female is blokey, jokey and to be honest over the top and often what could be deemed inappropriate BUT that is what they are aiming for - low brow, hit and giggle entertainment complete with loud music and fireworks etc etc.

Could be wrong but I reckon the context and setting is why so many people don't see it as a great issue (except the chronically outraged!)

And how it becomes the lead story on the news - well that really is WTF Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:01 am

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
If she was offended she should have smiled sweetly and said - " thanks but you're not my type sugar" that would be more effective especially live to air than this faux outrage and as a result a PC fine to quell the masses with seriously too much time on their hands Rolling Eyes

I remember scrubbing for a case with our notoriously misogynist sleazy old head of surgery - " you're quite clever for a chickee babe ( who says chickee babe really Laughing ) - " gee thanks - you're not a bad surgeon either snookums" - he stared, scowled then burst out laughing - point taken - no repeat performance.

Woman of the world STOP being victims and outraged - step up and serve it back!!!!

One problem with this is that a journalist has a professional responsibility not to hit back. Fair or not, that's the way it is. Helen Razer, for instance, lost her job over this rather memorable interview:

Hence the sports reporters somewhat awkward reaction to the cricketer hitting on her. I got the feeling she wanted to give him a serve but felt she couldn't. She clearly wasn't happy about it.

ill get slammed im sure, but seriously, if that remark effected her like that (and quite frnakly, i dont think it did, she didnt look angry) she should either harden the **** up or find a job shes more comfortable in!!

and i bet shes loving the attention now! no such thing as bad publicity, and who had even heard of her before this!!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

^ fair enough Morrigu - i was going on the transcript and what was reported. Context matters and it mitigates the fault, but fault it still is, in my eyes.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 am

Morrigu wrote:
And how it becomes the lead story on the news - well that really is WTF Rolling Eyes

Lazy hack journos getting their stories from the permanently offended who haunt the social media to get their inner attention needs met. A pack of annoying bloody Psychos who want their needs met really. Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:08 am

Lazza wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Lazy hack journos getting their stories from the permanently offended who haunt the social media to get their inner attention needs met. A pack of annoying bloody Psychos who want their needs met really. Rolling Eyes

yep i was shocked, after the poor kid who died after being coward punched, and 2 children being murdered by their father, what the hell has the world come too?

when will we realize that sports starts are not generally speaking, rhodes scholars!!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:12 am

think positive wrote:
when will we realize that sports starts are not generally speaking, rhodes scholars!!

It will never ever happen while the need for ratings or selling papers is their biggest need behind the drive to highlight PC based bullshit as real news. It is their not so hidden agenda.
And like you just said, their sense of priority is bloody appalling to say the very least. Shocked

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 am

think positive wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

yep i was shocked, after the poor kid who died after being coward punched, and 2 children being murdered by their father, what the hell has the world come too?

Agree with this. It's a bit of a non-story. But then, out of all the things we could be discussing right now, we're talking about it, aren't we?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Agree with this. It's a bit of a non-story. But then, out of all the things we could be discussing right now, we're talking about it, aren't we?

dont know about you but im putting off cleaning out the garage!!

cheers, to work!!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:57 am

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

That may be the case when conducting an interview in general but given the nature of the event she could have jokingly quipped back at him without a problem. Would have been quite funny given that he is considerably happy with himself and his sex appeal!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

That may be the case when conducting an interview in general but given the nature of the event she could have jokingly quipped back at him without a problem. Would have been quite funny given that he is considerably happy with himself and his sex appeal!

FWIW, I have said the very same thing.

A smart comment back from her was all it needed. And if she is actually such a professional as is being widely touted, she should have already had one ready to go for such a situation. Also, a poor effort on her part to let this story drag on when she could have killed it immediately.... Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Well well well!

Will this be costing channel 10?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/channel-10-labelled-hypocritical-by-fans-for-stance-against-chris-gayle/news-story/80a5073b6bf2be39ef843979817fda7a

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Lazza wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

FWIW, I have said the very same thing.

A smart comment back from her was all it needed. And if she is actually such a professional as is being widely touted, she should have already had one ready to go for such a situation. Also, a poor effort on her part to let this story drag on when she could have killed it immediately.... Rolling Eyes

Agree up to the last bit. She tried to kill it but a number of the professionally outraged took to twitter then from there it spread into opinion columns in mainstream media.

I thought she handled it well although a cheeky put down would have been even better. If anything she's been made a victim by all those professing to stand up for her. People want to talk about sexism? Assuming this woman isn't capable of dealing with it herself and needing to wade in in "support" displays more sexism than Gayle did IMHO.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:16 pm

^Yeah, Mel McLaughlin has handled the situation superbly to me.
It's "everyone else" that turned it into the circus it has become.

One can actually not particularly like something someone has said or done, without the need for retribution. One can just brush it off and think the guy is a goose if that's one's take. No need to be up in arms about everything.

There are valid views to say what he said was inappropriate in that setting, but they aren't the only valid views to be had.
Some serial offenders need to realise that!!

On a side note - 10:10 Very Happy

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 pm

think positive wrote:
Well well well!

Will this be costing channel 10?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/channel-10-labelled-hypocritical-by-fans-for-stance-against-chris-gayle/news-story/80a5073b6bf2be39ef843979817fda7a

I hope so and CA who seriosuly are making fools of themselves ( as they do on a regular basis so nothing new there!)

Curious - where are all the voices of the perpetually outraged in response to Gayle being subject to comments on live TV from a hack male commentator about his sex life when he was performing in his capacity as a cricketer playing the game??

.............. waiting waiting waiting!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 159 of 277   

Jump to: